Nutrisystem

Options

Replies

• wislawcat
    wislawcat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I did nutrisystem years ago and did lose weight. It is very good as a kick start and when you are traveling it is a good take on the road way of sticking to better options than road food. Two things to consider 1)check out the ingredients. Processed soy(isolated soy protein) is not a great thing to ingest as it can mimic estrogen and because it's so processed It doesn't have the nutritional offsets that natural or fermented soy has. 2) maybe once you get going try to balance off with real food as soon as you can do you learn to manage without it
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to pay that much for food delivered, I want it all delivered. If you still have to buy additional food, what's the point?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    One of the problems i would find with these types of diets, is eating everything out of a box. And if that wasn't bad enough... Eating microwaved, boxed foods.
    Personally, i couldn't do it, I'd get sick of it after a few days and would be badly craving fresh, whole "real" foods.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Question, how do you store the meals? Do you get a whole month at once, and do a majority need to be kept frozen? My parents are truckers too and space is really an issue for them. They are OTR and home at irregular intervals so they almost exclusively eat at restaurants. I know they had a mini fridge at one point but it isn't really sufficient to keep a week or two fresh food for two adults.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    One of the problems i would find with these types of diets, is eating everything out of a box. And if that wasn't bad enough... Eating microwaved, boxed foods.
    Personally, i couldn't do it, I'd get sick of it after a few days and would be badly craving fresh, whole "real" foods.
    I completely understand. Different strokes for different folks. There are multiple roads to success.

I'm much more comfortable with boxes/bags that have nutritional info printed on them and my food scale to adjust for actual weight. Huge variety and I can go from "hungry" to "eating" in 15 minutes.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Question, how do you store the meals? Do you get a whole month at once, and do a majority need to be kept frozen? My parents are truckers too and space is really an issue for them. They are OTR and home at irregular intervals so they almost exclusively eat at restaurants. I know they had a mini fridge at one point but it isn't really sufficient to keep a week or two fresh food for two adults.

There are different plans at different costs. The least expensive is one in which the NS counselor will select and send the food-- all shelf staples/no frozen. The next level up is one in which you select the foods you want -- again all shelf staples/no frozen. The last group is frozen foods and shelf staples that you can select from. The frozen food is sent in a styrofoam coolers packed in dry ice. The shelf staples are shipped separate... but both shipments will come once a month. I would guess your parents could just stock the styrofoam cooler and replenish with dry ice as needed.
  • wislawcat
    wislawcat Posts: 21 Member
    Options

When I did NS it was all special sealed room temp bags in boxes. Pretty easy to store I used to throw one in my purse in case I got stuck somewhere.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Op - you can steam eggs in a microwave (eggs, baby spinach, cheese, wrap bread - a little hot sauce.. tastes great), fresh fruit is everywhere, frozen or fresh veggies steamed in the microwave with s little butter tastes great too, boxed soups.. you can usually pick up a rotisserie chicken and portion that with a salad mix.. lots you can do to fill your plate with more food and more satisfying meals than frozen dinners on the road...
  • HUNIBUN2022
    HUNIBUN2022 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

We have a freezer and 2 mini fridges, we also have a pressure cooker, coffee etc. Yes we have limited space but we made shelves in the truck and we do fine, when my food comes the post office is very good about it and I take what I need with me and put it on the shelve works get for me.. you have to be creative when in truck for space.. My husband company is great also the let me store my food in building out of cold and heat
  • Birdie1952
    Birdie1952 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    HealthierMe, I am doing NS with the shelf and frozen meals. I was on NS in 2007 and lost 40 pounds. Going through menopause, quitting smoking and ten years older............ I have gained it all back (all my fault not NS). I went back on Nutrisystem Feb 4th. The food is way better now than 10 years ago. Back then I did not have the frozen food, but even the shelf stable food is better to me. For me it is no more expensive than going to the store and buying everything that I would need for a months worth of eating. It is very convenient having it delivered. I am down 7 pounds since Feb 4th. I think that is a prefect plan for you being on the road. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
  • Birdie1952
    Birdie1952 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    It's good if you don't feel like weighting your foods, plan your meals and want someone else to do everything for you, which is why it cost expensive.

Sometimes that is just the way you want to roll.
  • HUNIBUN2022
    Options
    Birdie1952 wrote: »
    HealthierMe, I am doing NS with the shelf and frozen meals. I was on NS in 2007 and lost 40 pounds. Going through menopause, quitting smoking and ten years older............ I have gained it all back (all my fault not NS). I went back on Nutrisystem Feb 4th. The food is way better now than 10 years ago. Back then I did not have the frozen food, but even the shelf stable food is better to me. For me it is no more expensive than going to the store and buying everything that I would need for a months worth of eating. It is very convenient having it delivered. I am down 7 pounds since Feb 4th. I think that is a prefect plan for you being on the road. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you and Congratulations on your weight loss that's Fantastic, I love the food it's very good. I'll be ordering soon as right now I'm just getting it from Walmart but I've been getting my order ready.. You may add me as a friend
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
  • HUNIBUN2022
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

Thank you much I posted if anyone knew of any
    Thank you so very much
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I use Nutrisystem. I love it. The frozen food/non frozen combination. It has assisted me with portion control, has assisted me with recipes and support when needed. And yes there are flex meals where you have to prepare meals yourself. Nutrisystem actually weans you off their food while continuing to give advise. I am basically to this point. I have lost most of the weight I want to lose, though I'm trying for 15 more lbs. I like the variety of their snacks all portioned out for me and I will more than likely continue with those, as it actually works out cheaper overall because of the variety, ice cream pie, cake sundaes and of course the chips popcorn chocolate pretzels etc. The program has worked for me.