weight watchers and mfp

Options

Replies

• LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I did WW a few years ago, I think it was the 1st Smart Points plan, and on their message boards I remember someone asking about trying to do WW and Atkins at the same time. The general answer was to do one or the other, don't combine them, because they rely on different factors. I think the same advice would apply to this situation as well.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    zfitgal wrote: »
    i totally agree!

And 1 Lindor Milk Chocolate truffle (my daily treat) is 70 calories at 3pt! WTH?!?! I feel that they started assigning a moral judgement to every food. I get that they want to 'help' people learn to eat healthier foods but forcing it without a clear picture of why something is deemed 'healthier' doesn't set people up for success. At least with MFP every food is measured by the same criteria and I can chose my foods based on an apples to apples comparison without having to factor in a subjective moral value on top of everything else.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    weight watchers gives people very low calories so they are hungry because they want to encourage people to eat the "free" foods.. the points for treats are doubled because their now mixing their own personal views into the mix and forcing others to conform to it.. no ones gonna spend 11 points on something if they only have 28 for the day.. by demonizing foods in this way, all it says to me is weight watchers wants people to have a less likely success rate and eat the way THEY want them too.. with whole foods.. and while there is nothing wrong with whole foods, i think it should be more of a choice of the person and i think making people feel negative against treats and stuff only sets a lot of users up to fail because how many months can they go without eating something they love like ice cream before they finally crack.

Honestly I found WW to be a very doable plan. It was really educational, and I learned a ton about portions and nutrition, and how few calories the body really does need to perform - at least for me. (The "2000 calories a day" standard that is on many food labels is such a cruel joke! :D ) I learned to eat so many new foods, and I never was starving. But I never joined the program, never spent a cent on their meals or anything, other than the materials that I bought from eBay to use. That was many years ago, and I know their program has changed a great deal - I have heard that many of the "oldschoolers" like me have not been happy with the newer programs.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    i only ate 2 fruit a day on ww and I did eat veggies. I didn't start my fitness pal yet. I logged all my info and 1660 is what it said, My bmr is 1450, so it makes sense to be eating 1660. I train hard. 6 days a week, very heavy weight lifting 4 days a week and cardio 3 times an hour each session. I dont think I'd measure lettuce and fiborous veggies, only starchy ones. But I would measurw fruit.

People are asking if your 1100-1400 WW calorie estimate from your first post included or excluded the fruit and veg? Since WW doesn't use calories at all, we're wondering how you added up your calories on WW and what they included.

Example of why this matters: My apple to day was 120 calories. My carrots were 70 calories (for a total of 190 calories already). And that doesn't include any veggies or fruits I plan to have with my meals yet.

Lettuce and fibrous veggies can still have a lot of calories, so you do need to count them if you're using MFP.

when I added my calories on weight watchers they came to about 1440 including fruits, NOT including any veggies and i are A LOT of veggies, my caloric intake with the veggies might have been 1700 because veggies are free, and i believe that is definitely the reason for my 20 month from he'll non exsistant weight loss.

That could be it then.

When did WW change from points to calories? Or does it do both now?
    I've seen some estimates that a point is roughly 45 cals (or whatever) but that's actually not accurate. So that's why I'm curious! I used to use Weight Watchers too but it didn't have calorie info at all at the time (Points Plus).
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    KT6377 wrote: »
    I had to give up foods like fat free Greek yogurt and low fat cottage cheese because they were 5 or 6 points. When you have 30pts for the day that's a BIG chunk of your day. It just seemed like an insane amount of points for a healthy, 150 calorie snack with a lot of protein. Several other healthy foods I relied on with their old system doubled in points and it really made me question their methods.

You must be using a different point system. I just checked the old "winning points" calculator, and the FF Greek yogurt that I eat many mornings is only 2 points.
  • zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    i only ate 2 fruit a day on ww and I did eat veggies. I didn't start my fitness pal yet. I logged all my info and 1660 is what it said, My bmr is 1450, so it makes sense to be eating 1660. I train hard. 6 days a week, very heavy weight lifting 4 days a week and cardio 3 times an hour each session. I dont think I'd measure lettuce and fiborous veggies, only starchy ones. But I would measurw fruit.

People are asking if your 1100-1400 WW calorie estimate from your first post included or excluded the fruit and veg? Since WW doesn't use calories at all, we're wondering how you added up your calories on WW and what they included.

Example of why this matters: My apple to day was 120 calories. My carrots were 70 calories (for a total of 190 calories already). And that doesn't include any veggies or fruits I plan to have with my meals yet.

Lettuce and fibrous veggies can still have a lot of calories, so you do need to count them if you're using MFP.

when I added my calories on weight watchers they came to about 1440 including fruits, NOT including any veggies and i are A LOT of veggies, my caloric intake with the veggies might have been 1700 because veggies are free, and i believe that is definitely the reason for my 20 month from he'll non exsistant weight loss.

That could be it then.

When did WW change from points to calories? Or does it do both now?
    I've seen some estimates that a point is roughly 45 cals (or whatever) but that's actually not accurate. So that's why I'm curious! I used to use Weight Watchers too but it didn't have calorie info at all at the time (Points Plus).

I loved points plus, it worked for awhile and then stopped...but since it stopped working I haven't been able to lose weight. it was like my body stayed where it was nd that's it.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options

Back when I did WW, I counted my calories as well, just so I would know. I found that as an average over time, each point worked out to about 50 calories.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    it's definitely different with their new program
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I had to give up foods like fat free Greek yogurt and low fat cottage cheese because they were 5 or 6 points. When you have 30pts for the day that's a BIG chunk of your day. It just seemed like an insane amount of points for a healthy, 150 calorie snack with a lot of protein. Several other healthy foods I relied on with their old system doubled in points and it really made me question their methods.

You must be using a different point system. I just checked the old "winning points" calculator, and the FF Greek yogurt that I eat many mornings is only 2 points.

These points are based on the current Smart Points system that was rolled out January 2016. Prior to that was Point Plus, and prior to that is the program you are referencing. Each roll out had major changes, but this last one was the worst and their business is struggling as a result.
  • zfitgal
    Options

These points are based on the current Smart Points system that was rolled out January 2016. Prior to that was Point Plus, and prior to that is the program you are referencing. Each roll out had major changes, but this last one was the worst and their business is struggling as a result.

it ia definitely their worst plan...i feel like it's not weight watchers anymore.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options

Yes, I know. Since I had never joined, and was only using purchased materials, I was free to stay on the plan that I used, after they rolled out new ones. This was many years ago, so yeah I am sure there are several versions since mine. Actually I think mine was the 1-2-3 program, so even older than the "winning points". It worked well for me, but I no longer have those materials.
  • Victoria42015
    Victoria42015 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! I haven't read every single post carefully, but I did want to say this. The sad truth is that if you are not losing weight, you need to eat less. I lost 25 lbs on WW (the program before Smartpoints) and when I got close to goal I had to really cut back, like not eat fruit with breakfast, even smaller portions. I ate 1350 calories a day and even then lost at a snail's pace. If you are not losing at 1100-1400, you are definitely not going to lose at 1600+.

I really don't like the Smartpoints program. In fact, I finally gave up on it after fluctuating 3 lbs for months like you. I don't have much to lose, so every calorie counts. WW incentivizes me to eat fruit, even when I could make it without eating, and it also encourages me to eat large portions of low point fish and chicken. All that adds up.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    Hi! I haven't read every single post carefully, but I did want to say this. The sad truth is that if you are not losing weight, you need to eat less. I lost 25 lbs on WW (the program before Smartpoints) and when I got close to goal I had to really cut back, like not eat fruit with breakfast, even smaller portions. I ate 1350 calories a day and even then lost at a snail's pace. If you are not losing at 1100-1400, you are definitely not going to lose at 1600+.

I really don't like the Smartpoints program. In fact, I finally gave up on it after fluctuating 3 lbs for months like you. I don't have much to lose, so every calorie counts. WW incentivizes me to eat fruit, even when I could make it without eating, and it also encourages me to eat large portions of low point fish and chicken. All that adds up.

I agree, but I wasnt tracking veggies and i was eating about 200-250 calories of them...so my 1400 was really 1700 or more
  • Victoria42015
    Options
    The other thing is, you can eat less than your BMR (how much you burn at rest all day) if you want to. I just checked mine, which is sadly 1341. I am eating 1200 calories a day. You won't lose unless you eat less than you burn. (But of course you burn more than your BMR says because of exercise and movement.)
  • Victoria42015
    Options
    I agree, but I wasnt tracking veggies and i was eating about 200-250 calories of them...so my 1400 was really 1700 or more

Yes, a great example of the problem with WW when you get closer to goal.
  • Victoria42015
    Options
    On WW, it's a mantra that "you didn't get fat eating fruits and veggies," which is true, but eating too many can prevent weight loss.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    On WW, it's a mantra that "you didn't get fat eating fruits and veggies," which is true, but eating too many can prevent weight loss.

so true, and it's so hard to actually accept the veggies have calories when you are trained for years that they're free.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    These posts are starting to make me see the light. I understand the push toward more fiber, protein and clean eating, but the side effect has been members on IG and WW Connect feature making 2 points baked goods from artificial sweeteners and protein powders. I've spent so much money on protein bars, shakes, and artificially sweetened crap its embarrassing. I have a cabinet full of PB2 I don't use because it was low point, because I wanted real peanut butter. And yesterday I wanted a small milkshake that was only 300 calories max, but cost me a days worth of points, and a boat load of guilt along with it. I can't anymore. Money isn't the issue, I'm just tired of feeling bad while my weight is stuck in neutral.

Not trying to hijack a thread, but I appreciate the advice being given here

Actually I would say that the reverse was true for me. I learned to eat FAR healthier when I learned the (old) WW plan. Again, that was many many years ago. And I do have some PB Fit powder, but I only bought that after reading about it here, on MFP. :) I never used protein bars, shakes, or any of that stuff on WW. I do use them now, but that's just personal preference. I enjoy them and they are convenient for me.
  • Victoria42015
    Options
    I think WW is good for teaching really unhealthy people about how to eat healthier. Some people know nothing about nutrition.