weight watchers and mfp

Options

Replies

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I agree with much here. I'm hitting MFP's suggested macro breakdown on the nose pretty much every day on the new WW SmartPoints, am not hungry, not craving anything, and feel pretty good...I'm just following the plan online without any WW branded foods. My calorie count is 1300-1400 and I don't eat back what I burn (with the exception of this weekend--had a half marathon and obviously needed to load up for that.) I get that everyone has their own solution and if CICO works for you, that's wonderful, but also not really understanding this disdain for WW. I did the program in various versions throughout my adult life and while I did have an episode of fiber overload in the early 2000s that was quite epic, I can't say I have many complaints.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    So while you (and I) learned good habits on old WW, it's no use bringing those takeaways to a conversation about the flaws of the new plan, which is very, very different.

It's of use if only to verify that WW was a very useful and successful program, for many people. ;) That is why I mentioned it. It IS a shame that they screwed it up with the new changes. It seems that they would have figured this out by now, and gone back to the more successful format.
  • Victoria42015
    Victoria42015 Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    But they say people are losing better on Smartpoints than Points Plus, so maybe it works well for some and not others. I haven't been successful with it but there could be other problems, like not being strict enough with myself. :(
  • zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    But they say people are losing better on Smartpoints than Points Plus, so maybe it works well for some and not others. I haven't been successful with it but there could be other problems, like not being strict enough with myself. :(

it's funny that "they" aka weight watchers says that, and their leaders, but everyone I seem to speak to had the same issues....

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    storyjorie wrote: »
    I'm not sure I agree with much here. I'm hitting MFP's suggested macro breakdown on the nose pretty much every day on the new WW SmartPoints, am not hungry, not craving anything, and feel pretty good...I'm just following the plan online without any WW branded foods. My calorie count is 1300-1400 and I don't eat back what I burn (with the exception of this weekend--had a half marathon and obviously needed to load up for that.) I get that everyone has their own solution and if CICO works for you, that's wonderful, but also not really understanding this disdain for WW. I did the program in various versions throughout my adult life and while I did have an episode of fiber overload in the early 2000s that was quite epic, I can't say I have many complaints.

I don't have experience on Weight Watchers, so my comment isn't specifically related to that program... I just wanted to say that whether you are using MFP, counting calories, tracking macros, eating intuitively, following WW, eating LCHF, eathing LFHC, or any other approach - if you are losing weight, then CICO is in play and it is working for you.

CICO isn't a diet, and it isn't synonymous with counting calories. It is a mathematical equation that describes a fundamental energy balance, and if a person wants to lose weight, their CI needs to be less than their CO. How they achieve that deficit is up to the individual - but CICO is always the governing principle.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Hi! I haven't read every single post carefully, but I did want to say this. The sad truth is that if you are not losing weight, you need to eat less. I lost 25 lbs on WW (the program before Smartpoints) and when I got close to goal I had to really cut back, like not eat fruit with breakfast, even smaller portions. I ate 1350 calories a day and even then lost at a snail's pace. If you are not losing at 1100-1400, you are definitely not going to lose at 1600+.

I really don't like the Smartpoints program. In fact, I finally gave up on it after fluctuating 3 lbs for months like you. I don't have much to lose, so every calorie counts. WW incentivizes me to eat fruit, even when I could make it without eating, and it also encourages me to eat large portions of low point fish and chicken. All that adds up.

I lost over 60 lbs on the older WW plans. I made goal. As soon as I switched to Smart Points my weight was bouncing back and forth by the same 5 to 7 lbs. When I track calories it comes out to 1400 to 2000. I either maintain or gain there. I want to lose another 20 lbs below where I set my initial goal (still wasn't happy) and I need 1380 calories to lose .5 lbs a week. No room to play there. To keep points low I've been relying on fake foods or high protein stuff because the Points are lower there. This is counterintuitive to the healthy eating habits that I initially learned from WW and kept me there. Seems this program is best for those with a lot to lose, because the more petite women in my group had their Points lowered to below minimum or else they gain. I couldn't even increase my Points to maintenance level because I gained. How do I live like that? Every week I'm begged to come back and it's another lose/gain yo yo. At some point you get sick of it, plus the list of food I can't have unless I plan on eating tuna and salad all day: cereal, soup, real chocolate, desserts, fast foods, certain dairies. Guess who's binging now? Need I go on? I know I can't have it all, all the time, but this is making me feel bad.

• fitmom4lifemfp
    Options

Honestly I have read nothing but complaints about the newer programs. But yeah if people were not having any success, it doesn't make sense that they would continue with it.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    Hi! I haven't read every single post carefully, but I did want to say this. The sad truth is that if you are not losing weight, you need to eat less. I lost 25 lbs on WW (the program before Smartpoints) and when I got close to goal I had to really cut back, like not eat fruit with breakfast, even smaller portions. I ate 1350 calories a day and even then lost at a snail's pace. If you are not losing at 1100-1400, you are definitely not going to lose at 1600+.

I really don't like the Smartpoints program. In fact, I finally gave up on it after fluctuating 3 lbs for months like you. I don't have much to lose, so every calorie counts. WW incentivizes me to eat fruit, even when I could make it without eating, and it also encourages me to eat large portions of low point fish and chicken. All that adds up.

I lost over 60 lbs on the older WW plans. I made goal. As soon as I switched to Smart Points my weight was bouncing back and forth by the same 5 to 7 lbs. When I track calories it comes out to 1400 to 2000. I either maintain or gain there. I want to lose another 20 lbs below where I set my initial goal (still wasn't happy) and I need 1380 calories to lose .5 lbs a week. No room to play there. To keep points low I've been relying on fake foods or high protein stuff because the Points are lower there. This is counterintuitive to the healthy eating habits that I initially learned from WW and kept me there. Seems this program is best for those with a lot to lose, because the more petite women in my group had their Points lowered to below minimum or else they gain. I couldn't even increase my Points to maintenance level because I gained. How do I live like that? Every week I'm begged to come back and it's another lose/gain yo yo. At some point you get sick of it, plus the list of food I can't have unless I plan on eating tuna and salad all day: cereal, soup, real chocolate, desserts, fast foods, certain dairies. Guess who's binging now? Need I go on? I know I can't have it all, all the time, but this is making me feel bad.

When you say 1380 to lose all pound does that include exercise? I'd not are you able to add some on to eat more?
  • zfitgal
    Options
    zfitgal wrote: »

When you say 1380 to lose all pound does that include exercise? I'd not are you able to add some on to eat more?

when you were tracking your calories the 1400-2000 was on weight watchers?
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options

[/quote] CICO isn't a diet, and it isn't synonymous with counting calories. It is a mathematical equation that describes a fundamental energy balance, and if a person wants to lose weight, their CI needs to be less than their CO. How they achieve that deficit is up to the individual - but CICO is always the governing principle.[/quote]

I guess I was seeing the philosophy (not science) of CICO as "eat whatever you want as long as you don't go over your caloric guard rails and don't even think about limiting a food group!" Because I see these passionate defenses of Twinkies (or whatever is high in points but the same calorie count as a mango) that seem to suggest WW is doing something terrible by "shaming" people who don't eat high protein and lots of fruit. For me, having a little structure in terms of what I should be eating/not eating helps because non-Twinkie foods fill me up better and seem to result in fewer cravings.

yes, in the end, it's all CICO, but just having a calorie ceiling cap has not worked from ME from a practicality standpoint. I have no personal qualms with Twinkies, fries, candy, whatever, and think it's great if someone has been able to lose weight eating whatever they want, within caloric limits--but for me, the structure of WW is a better fit, and I'm not really understanding all of this criticism of the new program as some sort of rip off or marketing scam. I see it as a tool, just like my food scale is a tool. I've bought several of those over the years--my kids keep destroying them--and have never begrudged the expense, and feel the same way about my $15 WW subscription.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

What everyone else eats is completely irrelevant. Take the advice you've gotten on this thread and the other one. Pick a goal. Track here accurately. Include your veggies. Do it for 6-8 weeks. Reassess.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Yes my 30 points translated to 1400 to 2000 calorie depending on food choices. I need 1380 before exercise to lose half of a pound a week. I can't use too many exercise calories- I'm on the small side 5'3"and size 4, but want to get to 125.
  • zfitgal
    Options

What everyone else eats is completely irrelevant. Take the advice you've gotten on this thread and the other one. Pick a goal. Track here accurately. Include your veggies. Do it for 6-8 weeks. Reassess.

I'm questioning her about her experience, please don't continue to post here, I find you rude @vintagefeline
  • zfitgal
    Options

Yes my 30 points translated to 1400 to 2000 calorie depending on food choices. I need 1380 before exercise to lose half of a pound a week. I can't use too many exercise calories- I'm on the small side 5'3"and size 4, but want to get to 125.

wow, thats a very wide gap in calories!I'm glad you came here too nd I'm not the only one...how is MFP going for you?

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I'm questioning her about her experience, please don't continue to post here, I find you rude @vintagefeline

It's an open forum, I can post if I like.

You appear to be focusing on all the wrong things. How many calories other people eat isn't the issue. How accurately they track and what rate they lose if following mfp is a little more relevant.

But this is 5 pages of advice and you're still focusing on what other people are doing. WW isn't working for you. You don't count vegetables. There's the issue.

I'm just giving you the easy potted version as you seem to continue to not understand how weight loss works.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    i got everything I need from everyone's fabulous knowledge, Im relating to other ppl here and sharing it
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    edited February 2017
    Options
    storyjorie wrote: »
    yes, in the end, it's all CICO, but just having a calorie ceiling cap has not worked from ME from a practicality standpoint. I have no personal qualms with Twinkies, fries, candy, whatever, and think it's great if someone has been able to lose weight eating whatever they want, within caloric limits--but for me, the structure of WW is a better fit, and I'm not really understanding all of this criticism of the new program as some sort of rip off or marketing scam. I see it as a tool, just like my food scale is a tool. I've bought several of those over the years--my kids keep destroying them--and have never begrudged the expense, and feel the same way about my $15 WW subscription.

Very well stated, and that is exactly how I feel (at least with my experience of the *old* program).
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    i weigh and measure everything down to 4thw tbsp nd oz...ill put all my info on again and see what comes up

What are you using your tablespoons for? Because if it's for anything other than a pure liquid, you should be weighing those things. Also, since there are 28 grams per ounce, grams are more accurate.

So much this.

Use a food scale for everything that you cannot pour. No more cups/spoons for solid/semi solid food.

Weigh and log fruit and vegetables, too.