I just want this to work !!

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    OP, why are you claiming that successful people are ignorant about weight loss? When I first came to this site, I listened to the successful people, not the anti-carbers and fad-dieters.

Labeling foods as "good" or "bad" is a sign of disordered eating. There is no such thing as good or bad foods, only good or bad diets.
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You got some really great advice here. One thing I would suggest is to invest in a food scale if you don't have one. They are pretty inexpensive. You may find that you were underestimating how many calories you are eating. This was my problem and it was a huge eye opener for me when I got one. I really like cashew nuts and I try to fit in a bowl of ice cream if I have calories left.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    2 things come to mind. I'm guessing your definition of "crap" is skewed since you seem focused on calories and carbs. As well as the question, how did you end up at 276 lbs if you can't eat 1680 daily?

Genius.

Mind blown.
  • Asterie
    Asterie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Wow, can some of you people just let things go? She's already really politely explained her reaction. Honestly, you'd think your time would be worth more to you.

OP, if you switch out that slimfast in the morning for eggs fried in butter and bacon/sausage or even a protein shake made with natural peanut butter you'd have an extra 400-500 calories right there.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Avocado's are fantastic, so are nuts. After a good workout or even when I'm low on my calories but not all that hungry a glass of chocolate milk and a big spoonful of PB will get you a few hundred extra calories, if all else fails grab a cheeseburger, as long as you drink plenty of water the sodium they fling at you through the drive thru window won't kill you, just don't hork down the entire menu and you'll be fine.

Rigger
  • Dandeliiondreams
    Dandeliiondreams Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    OP, why are you claiming that successful people are ignorant about weight loss? When I first came to this site, I listened to the successful people, not the anti-carbers and fad-dieters.

Labeling foods as "good" or "bad" is a sign of disordered eating. There is no such thing as good or bad foods, only good or bad diets.

Never did i say they were ignorant about weight loss ? So what are you talking about. And yes i do think if i were to go back to eating subs pizza take out in general and eat as much as i was i would GAIN WEIGHT.

Move on, thanks
  • Dandeliiondreams
    Options
    Wow, can some of you people just let things go? She's already really politely explained her reaction. Honestly, you'd think your time would be worth more to you.

OP, if you switch out that slimfast in the morning for eggs fried in butter and bacon/sausage or even a protein shake made with natural peanut butter you'd have an extra 400-500 calories right there.

Yes thank you. I asked for advice not to be made fun of because im trying to make good food choices. And asking for help, which is what this is for.. people with no time. I didnt say any of them were wrong but its funny that others read it that way?

Oh well.. I got good advice and they are still lingering on this lol Thanks
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Okay so I've asked a few times but, now that I'm eating better and watching calories and sugar and carbs I'm lucky if I hit 1200 a day. MFP says to eat 1680 daily. With exercise and eating healthier I can never get my 1680. Unless I eat a bunch of crap. Currently my report for the week says my net calories was under by like 4400. I want to do whatever I can so any help appreciated !!

When I first joined MFP I was of the mindset of 'I must only eat 1200 calories a day' and had been doing that for a year! I had lost weight, so it did work, but then after reading the forums on here I decided to increase my calories slowly, and am now generally on around 1500 a day, sometimes more. I've lost more weight and look better since I started eating more, and I never feel hungry.

I aim for high protein, so eat lots of chicken, tuna, eggs etc. I have the occasional treat like a homemade cupcake (I make them for my kids, honest :smile: ) but generally don't eat 'junk'.

As lots of people have said, things like peanut butter are great for upping calories. I sometimes have peanut butter on an apple as a snack. Add olive oil to your cooking, have a slice of cheese, eat a few almonds.....it adds up.
  • Dandeliiondreams
    Options
    Okay so I've asked a few times but, now that I'm eating better and watching calories and sugar and carbs I'm lucky if I hit 1200 a day. MFP says to eat 1680 daily. With exercise and eating healthier I can never get my 1680. Unless I eat a bunch of crap. Currently my report for the week says my net calories was under by like 4400. I want to do whatever I can so any help appreciated !!

When I first joined MFP I was of the mindset of 'I must only eat 1200 calories a day' and had been doing that for a year! I had lost weight, so it did work, but then after reading the forums on here I decided to increase my calories slowly, and am now generally on around 1500 a day, sometimes more. I've lost more weight and look better since I started eating more, and I never feel hungry.

I aim for high protein, so eat lots of chicken, tuna, eggs etc. I have the occasional treat like a homemade cupcake (I make them for my kids, honest :smile: ) but generally don't eat 'junk'.

As lots of people have said, things like peanut butter are great for upping calories. I sometimes have peanut butter on an apple as a snack. Add olive oil to your cooking, have a slice of cheese, eat a few almonds.....it adds up.

Thank you, very good ideas.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you eat you will still gain weight if you don't exercise.

noooooooooooooo

you will gain weight if you eat more calories than your body needs... you can lose weight without exercise if you are in a calorie deficit

Without exercise your body eventually gets used to the deficit and you have to keep making a bigger deficit and slowing your metabolism down even more. Sure you can lose weight eating 500 cals a day without exercise go right ahead.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Hi there! It was a snide and sarcastic way of saying that you should know how to eat and if you ask me it was not advice but a burn. So my dear it is best to forget it because some people like to say things to get a reaction. I do also believe that some food can be considered junk for us trying to lose weight, such as foods high in fat, sodium and sugar. Yes it is good to not restrict yourself but it is even better to be mindful of what you eat. When I eat high protein and veggies, I can get full on a 100 calories so I know what you mean. Try eating avocados, nuts, peanut butter, dried apricots, dates, raisins, and even some dark chocolate. When it comes to eating healthy, many of us are IGNORANT!!! Which is why I am glad you took to the time to ask because this site does have a wealth of amazing, hard working, knowledgeable people but some just respond on a whim instead of offering you real advice. Feel free to add me for non-sarcastic support!

This^

Can't believe the over reactionary Condescending witch hunt you got hit with over calling out his snide reply. You can call it blunt if you want but to me it looks more like willful misunderstanding of what you were asking.

It IS harder to eat a ton of calories on healthy food. than with crap food, So asking for help getting there rather than just wimping out with a milkshake is commendable and doesn't deserve the judgy replies you got.

yeah, it IS an internet forum and people let out their inner beast without thinking about it.. but I am not sure why it is ok for them to let out their inner beast but not ok for you to call them on it.

There was absolutely no point and no good advice in saying how did you get to your weight if you have a problem eating that much. It ignores the current efforts and situation and is just snide not honest or blunt or helpful.

Let go of the good ol' boy mentality. it's not becoming.
  • Dandeliiondreams
    Options
    Yes exactly !!!! I ask a question and got a smart *kitten* replyi but when I said something about it not being nice and I STILL was nice through it all they lost their minds. Almost like telling a bully they are being mean and the bully getting pissed off that you would even mention it. I don't care if you lost 10000000 pounds if your going to act like a douche and at first not even give advice why say anything.

But who cares... Maybe the highlight of their day lol
  • brendapalmer146
    brendapalmer146 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    2 things come to mind. I'm guessing your definition of "crap" is skewed since you seem focused on calories and carbs. As well as the question, how did you end up at 276 lbs if you can't eat 1680 daily?

First I don't really appreciate your ignorant way of replying. Obviously I got to the weight I did because I didn't eat healthy and I would snack here and there through the day then eat crap for dinner I.e pizza and subs and things like that.
    Second like I stated NOW that I'm eating errrr and healthier I'm not reaching my 1680 calorie goal.
    This is why I asked. Good enough?

Sensitive much? Don't bash people that know what they are doing. It doesn't matter what you eat you will still gain weight if you don't exercise.

No but everyone is ere to better themselves not to be judged. And I do exercise which brings my calories up another 500 or so a day on those days. Which is why I asked the question. I didn't ask it for people to be rude.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

First I don't really appreciate your ignorant way of replying. Obviously I got to the weight I did because I didn't eat healthy and I would snack here and there through the day then eat crap for dinner I.e pizza and subs and things like that.
    Second like I stated NOW that I'm eating errrr and healthier I'm not reaching my 1680 calorie goal.

Why do you think pizza and subs are "crap"? There is nothing wrong with them. Matter of fact, I had pizza last week!

Like a previous poster said, I think your definition of "right" and "wrong" foods may be skewed a little. Try to realize that no single type of food is bad, only too much of it is bad. Fill your diet with good, filling foods, and if you're coming up short and if you want to have pizza and subs and it helps you get to your calorie goal, go for it!
  • Dandeliiondreams
    Options

Why do you think pizza and subs are "crap"? There is nothing wrong with them. Matter of fact, I had pizza last week!

Like a previous poster said, I think your definition of "right" and "wrong" foods may be skewed a little. Try to realize that no single type of food is bad, only too much of it is bad. Fill your diet with good, filling foods, and if you're coming up short and if you want to have pizza and subs and it helps you get to your calorie goal, go for it!

I'm guessing that my original question wasn't explained enough. I understand I don't have to eat fruits and veggies. By no means do I only eat things that are "good" for you. I was saying I don't want to fall back into eating large amounts of greasy nasty food just to reach my calorie goals. By eating better, fruits and veggies, yogurts, salads I'm not always hitting my cal goals. I do eat pizza and subs and other not so great stuff. I was simply looking for people input on what they would do. I probably should have said what would you do instead of subs and pizza daily in large amounts lol.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you eat you will still gain weight if you don't exercise.

noooooooooooooo

you will gain weight if you eat more calories than your body needs... you can lose weight without exercise if you are in a calorie deficit

Without exercise your body eventually gets used to the deficit and you have to keep making a bigger deficit and slowing your metabolism down even more. Sure you can lose weight eating 500 cals a day without exercise go right ahead.

Lol wut? You are so wrong, it's hilarious.

I lost 50 pounds not working out. That was 10 years ago. I work out now for health reasons - but I only started a year ago. I've never eaten less than 1,400 a day unless I was puking my guts up. Your body doesn't "get used to a deficit", if this were true, people would have to increase their activity such that we'd all have to be triathlon competitors to lose weight. Not the case. Somebody has told you some serious lies.

ETA: That 50 pounds? Never gained ANY of it back. The weight I lost here, vanity pounds.
  • brendapalmer146
    Options

Sensitive much? Don't bash people that know what they are doing. It doesn't matter what you eat you will still gain weight if you don't exercise.

No but everyone is ere to better themselves not to be judged. And I do exercise which brings my calories up another 500 or so a day on those days. Which is why I asked the question. I didn't ask it for people to be rude.
  • Dandeliiondreams
    Options
    I do exercise btw lol.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options

noooooooooooooo

Wrong. You do not need to exercise to lose weight. You do need to adjust your calorie goals as you lose weight. My TDEE without exercise is about 2,000 calories and as long as I eat less than that (not 500 calories a day) I lose weight. I exercise so I can eat MORE if I want to.
  • brendapalmer146
    Options

noooooooooooooo

Lol wut? You are so wrong, it's hilarious.

I lost 50 pounds not working out. That was 10 years ago. I work out now for health reasons - but I only started a year ago. I've never eaten less than 1,400 a day unless I was puking my guts up. Your body doesn't "get used to a deficit", if this were true, people would have to increase their activity such that we'd all have to be triathlon competitors to lose weight. Not the case. Somebody has told you some serious lies.

I know I read this and thought, is this a scientific proven fact? lol...I myself work out but you don't necessarily need to be working out to lose weight, it helps but some people have been successful while not adding exercise into their daily regime. Again, stupid stupid idiots...:)