To lose or to maintain?

Options
Hi !
I recently posted a question regarding weekends and needing to lose 2 lbs etc.
However , I found out that I find it extremely difficult to remain at 108 lbs and it seems that my body 'wants' to be arounnd 112 lbs.
Honestly , I am okay with this , BUT I do not have a flat stomach at 112 lbs.
Should I try to lose and get back to 108 lbs or should I just give it up and remain at 112 lbs?

Replies

• JustDoIt987
    JustDoIt987 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Can you give your other stats? Height, age, etc.? I tried checking your profile but it's private.

Sure !
    Height : 5'2
    Thanks
  • JustDoIt987
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    For your height 108 and 112 are okay and fall within the "healthy weight" spectrum (assuming you're a woman, which I also can't tell). If you're finding maintaining at 108 to be very difficult but you're having a decent time maintaining 112, I'd say stay at 112.

The only thing that makes my stomach flat is strength training, core work, and whether or not I'm bloated that day.

Yes , I am a woman , I am sorry for not mentioning that .
    I find it difficult as I often feel tired , lack energy and dizzy , so its very difficult! But its amazing how much of a difference a couple of pounds make at my height .

May I ask you what kind of exercises you do? And do you follow a particular diet?

Thank you.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Hi !
    However , I found out that I find it extremely difficult to remain at 108 lbs and it seems that my body 'wants' to be arounnd 112 lbs.
    Should I try to lose and get back to 108 lbs or should I just give it up and remain at 112 lbs?

That is entirely a matter of personal preference. I know that people go crazy over flat stomachs but they are not mandatory as a signal that you are at the right weight for you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Most people have about a 5 lb maintenance range, so you are right within that. I don't think 4 lbs will make the difference of a flat stomach.
  • JustDoIt987
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Hi !

That is entirely a matter of personal preference. I know that people go crazy over flat stomachs but they are not mandatory as a signal that you are at the right weight for you.

Yes I dont know why but I am crazy about having a flat stomach
    Probably cause I am flat chested though
  • JustDoIt987
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Most people have about a 5 lb maintenance range, so you are right within that. I don't think 4 lbs will make the difference of a flat stomach.

Thank you !
  • lbaxandall
    lbaxandall Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you're having negative effects from eating lower calories, I wouldn't even think it's a question. A flat stomach isn't worth feeling crummy.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    A flat stomach is also hugely about what you eat when you're slim to start with. You have to cut out anything that leads to water retention (processed foods, high sodium foods) and eat super "clean".

You do you, but a flat stomach is not my ideal and it never will be. And that's ok.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Look into recomposition.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,721 Member
    Options
    This thread is pretty much tailor-made for you:

So you want a nice stomach

This one is good, too, and you're at the perfect stage of life to get the best benefit from it:

Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

But if you're one of those women who's concerned that weight training will make you bulky, consider this one as well, focusing on the result of already-slender women:

Females only - lifting/weight training results?

This one is excellent, though it's now old enough that some of the pics from the early posts are no longer available:

HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!
  • jjohnstonlni
    jjohnstonlni Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    112 and some Spanx...you can have your cake and eat it too
  • JustDoIt987
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    This thread is pretty much tailor-made for you:

So you want a nice stomach

This one is good, too, and you're at the perfect stage of life to get the best benefit from it:

Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

But if you're one of those women who's concerned that weight training will make you bulky, consider this one as well, focusing on the result of already-slender women:

Females only - lifting/weight training results?

This one is excellent, though it's now old enough that some of the pics from the early posts are no longer available:

HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

These threads are perfect for me ! Thank you so much !
  • JustDoIt987
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Look into recomposition.

doing so right now ! thank you !
  • JustDoIt987
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    A flat stomach is also hugely about what you eat when you're slim to start with. You have to cut out anything that leads to water retention (processed foods, high sodium foods) and eat super "clean".

You do you, but a flat stomach is not my ideal and it never will be. And that's ok.

seriously ? thats awful for me as my diet is anything BUT clean ! thank you :)