10 portions of fruit and veg a day

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited February 2017
    Tum22 wrote: »
    Will anyone be following the new advice of ten 80g portions of fruit and or veg a day? (UK) It used to be five and now it is recommended to eat ten portions a day to avoid deaths from cancers/strokes and heart attacks. And what do you think is the best way to do this?

I dunno but I sure won't be attempting it. I put all those foods in my calculator and I get 630 calories....just for fruits and veggies. Yeah not happening.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I'm tempted to give it a try too. I average around 5 a day and thought I did well.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I eat a pretty good variety of fruit and veg, but not in large enough quantities for it to count as a portion, so no, probably not!
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    edited February 2017
    Right now I'm probably already eating about 800g anyway. I eat 400g of mixed frozen vegetables each day, usually at lunch time alongside my sandwich I've made. I love carrots, peas, corn, broccoli, cauliflower etc. It is ALOT to eat but I'm use to it. I actually find myself craving vegetables now and its made my skin look great. I have two pieces of fruit as well over the course of the day usually a large orange which is around 300g and then another piece...grapes, peach, pear or dried fruit. I watched a documentary on Netflix called 'Hungry For Change' and a lot of the healthy food advocates on there had INCREDIBLE skin and looked so young and its because they're eating so much veg. People pay thousands of dollars over a lifetime to improve their skin...why not just eat more fruit and veg? Cheaper and healthier.

I would try and focus on the vegetables you really like and include more of those. You can include more veg in certain dishes and recipes, add more to sandwiches, casseroles, stirfrys. Have a look at recipes online that include your fave vegies and cook those. Eliminate processed snacks and eat fruit instead...fruit you like of course.
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    I always believed that multiple servings of the same veggie and potatoes didn't count... i'm hopeless at getting 5 in, so won't even attempt going for 10!
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    For most of my life, I ate about 10 servings a day. I grew up eating large portions of veg and continued that as an adult.

A few years ago, I had to cut the amount of produce I eat due to IBS. Maybe someday my body will get back to being able to eat that much, but for now it's just not doable for me. I long to eat that amount again. :'(
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    aamb wrote: »
    I always believed that multiple servings of the same veggie and potatoes didn't count... i'm hopeless at getting 5 in, so won't even attempt going for 10!

Why wouldn't they count?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Blueberries on my oatmeal. A fruit for lunch. Lots of veggies elsewhere.
  • frawley23
    frawley23 Posts: 31 Member
    I generally have 3-4 serves of veggies every night for dinner either as a large salad with protein or a smaller salad as a side to a main like enchiladas or pasta (which have veg in them too). I have 2-4 serves of fruit for snacks. Usually I'll have another 1-2 serves of veggies for breakfast and/or lunch between mushrooms or tomato on toast, salad sandwiches, dinner leftovers.and the raw carrots I like to munch on while I'm prepping my food.

In Australia our guidelines are 2 fruit and 5 veg a day for general health which is what I aim for. I think I'm going to aim for the 10 a day but I'm not sure if it'll happen.
  • Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    That is an amazing amount. I do like fruit and veg and especially homemade soup. I do, however, get fed up with the chopping sometimes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I eat over 500g of fruit everyday, I really need to work on those veggies! I'm having stir fry for dinner tonight which contains 1.2kgs of different vegetables, but that's split in two for me and hubby.

I think the 10 portions is a great idea, nothing wrong with encouraging folks to eat more fruit and veggies.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    I'm tempted to give it a try too. I average around 5 a day and thought I did well.

I'm going to try it next week, you should join me! I'm still trying to figure out the logistics of how to actually eat that much though lol. I do 16:8IF and only eat two meals a day usually, so this could be tricky :*
  • ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member

I'm going to try it next week, you should join me! I'm still trying to figure out the logistics of how to actually eat that much though lol. I do 16:8IF and only eat two meals a day usually, so this could be tricky :*
    Looks like it could be the start of a new challenge!

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Whoa. Just realized my 270 gram apple would count as over 3 servings a day if we're going with 80 g a serving lol. How much would guacamole count for lol. Maybe 0.5 hahah. So I'm at 5.9 servings today then. Hmm. Though... I guess I don't usually have carrots too so that is bumping me up today.

Also... 80 g of lettuce would be a lot of lettuce.
  • ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Pages/Whatcounts.aspx
    White potatoes apparently don't count and there's a rule about only one serving of beans, but they do count.

Makes me feel better about my overall diet at least. :wink:
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member

Looks like it could be the start of a new challenge!

I could definitely be in this challenge. Wouldn't hurt me to push more veg.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member

I'm in!

I best go to Aldi for a fruit and veg stock up. Start Sunday?
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited February 2017

I'm in!

I best go to Aldi for a fruit and veg stock up. Start Sunday?

I'll be starting on Monday, since Sundays we always have lunch at the in-laws and then usually do a local pizza place for supper lol. I'm going to do it Monday-Friday, and will measure out all my veggies/fruit in grams, and try to hit the magical 800g number :# Already putting my grocery shopping list together!

I think I'll start a new thread for our little challenge on Monday morning, and then whoever wants to join in can! I think this will be eye opening for me-I have a suspicion that I eat less vegetables and fruit than I think I do :p
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    No, it's nonsense.