Food items that are bad for you?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    The doctor is just looking out for her livelihood.

0envfi6dl3hu.jpg

Exactly what I was going to say.... glad I kept reading to make sure someone else hadn't gone there already!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I think you need to chose your sources of information a little more selectively. Your friend's doctor sounds a little wackado. Why only apples and granola bars? When someone comes up with some kooky strict rule that makes no sense it is usually safe to disregard that information. If you like apples and granola bars and they fit your calorie and other goals then you are good to keep eating them. Donuts and pizza are fine too.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Just found out apples are horrible for you? And so is nature Valley granola bars are too? It sounds like I should have been eating donuts and pizza all along instead of apples and granola bars. Any one have any advice on this?

My advice - don't believe second hand information, don't believe woo and pseudoscience that claims that demonizes certain foods, and use common sense. Why would apples be bad for you? Did your friend elaborate on the guidance from her doctor? What sort of doctor? What was the reason for the visit and this particular discussion?

There are no "bad foods". Any food can be part of an overall balanced, nutritious, varied diet. That includes apples, granola bars, pizza and donuts.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what matters is context and dosage. Make sure that you get the majority you your food from nutrient dense sources; hit calorie targets; meet micros and macors; and then fill in with foods that you like, like pizza, ice cream, etc, etc..

apples are not bad for you, that is just ridiculous.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    BaddS4 wrote: »
    Anything processed is bad for you, however delicious... lol If you're trying to go low carb then stay away from most fruit... Stick to berries...

Pretty much every food that is commercially available is processed in some way. How is greek yogurt, or frozen vegetables, or pasta "bad" for you?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Your co-worker may have a reason they need to lower their sugar intake (like maybe pre-diabetic). Apples and most granola bars are loaded with sugar. Apples also have a lot of fiber which a lot people don't get the recommended amount of though. Granola bars are mostly useful if you are trying to cram down a lot of calories in a small package quickly with minimal effort (so not a great option when trying to lose weight if you tend to over-eat, but nice for backbacking/hiking/camping).
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've never heard anyone compaire an apple to a doughnut or pizza slice lol is this a real thread?! Or is this done by a troll? At the end of the day you CAN work a pizzaslice into your calories AND macros if done properly, but its WAAAAAAAAAY easier to add an apple into both catagories lol
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Your co-worker may have a reason they need to lower their sugar intake (like maybe pre-diabetic). Apples and most granola bars are loaded with sugar. Apples also have a lot of fiber which a lot people don't get the recommended amount of though. Granola bars are mostly useful if you are trying to cram down a lot of calories in a small package quickly with minimal effort (so not a great option when trying to lose weight if you tend to over-eat, but nice for backbacking/hiking/camping).

They can be fairly high in potassium too (good when working out, hiking, biking, etc)
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Now the Pecan Butter Tart that I just inhaled....that's bad for you!!! But man was it gooooodddd!!!!

I call BS on Apples being bad for you. Maybe if you ate a lot everyday....everything in moderation!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I've never heard anyone compaire an apple to a doughnut or pizza slice lol is this a real thread?! Or is this done by a troll? At the end of the day you CAN work a pizzaslice into your calories AND macros if done properly, but its WAAAAAAAAAY easier to add an apple into both catagories lol

pizza is fat, proteins, and carbs, how is that hard to add into macros? macros are minimums not maximums...
  • CranstonJ2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I'm going to see if I can sell my kids on "Friday: Apples and Movie Night". But I don't think it will really fly. I also don't think I'd be satisfied with an apple for a meal. Plus pizza has (in addition to the carbs that an apple would have), some fat and protein as well. I'm not sure why it needs to be one or the other...

Oh it doesnt have to be, thats what I'm saying. You can have your pizza and doughnut, and your apple too! If it all fits in your day...i mean apples all day everyday HAS to be bad for you. All foods are ok in moderation..

I wouldnt eat an apple for dinner, thats silly. I'm just saying healthier options are easier to fit calory and macro wise. Maybe instead of a puzza or doughnut you can have an awesome flavourful salad....or just eat your friggin pizza and live a little lol
  • CranstonJ2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I'm going to see if I can sell my kids on "Friday: Apples and Movie Night". But I don't think it will really fly. I also don't think I'd be satisfied with an apple for a meal. Plus pizza has (in addition to the carbs that an apple would have), some fat and protein as well. I'm not sure why it needs to be one or the other...

kiss goodbye to that "worlds best mom" coffee mug...

Hahaha!!