No more tilapia?

Replies

• breannemarie1993
    breannemarie1993 Posts: 161 Member
    Okay this is gross... by tilapia!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Yeah i do t eat it at all now when i Heard that its Not a real fish. Its government made.

what do you mean government made? like they just invented a fish in a lab? a government fish making lab?

Like Soylent Green?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Costco's "Tilapia Loins" are grown by a company called Regal Springs. They have a nice web site. I particularly like this video of how they're grown.

I have no connection to the company. I'm curious because I'd like to eat tilapia myself. My wife is rather suspicious of it. I like the idea of farmed fish in general. Wild caught fish is very difficult to sustain and is expensive.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    marm1962 wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Did you ever think about what all fish do in the water? If you are afraid of tilapia why would you ever drink water?

Well I don't drink water that fish have been swimming in. Do you?

Lake Tahoe has fish swimming in it and is the best tasting drinking water, so yeah, I have.

I am not sure where your drinking water comes from but, Drinking water comes from one of two sources: ground water or surface water. Ground water originates from precipitation that falls in the form of rain or snow and seeps into the ground, filling the open spaces, or pore space, within layers of sand or gravel (formations) beneath the land surface. Under the ground there is a zone of saturation where the subsurface is completely saturated with water. Layers of sand and gravel in this saturated zone are called aquifers. An aquifer is a geologic formation containing water in quantities sufficient to yield water to a well. The well pumps water to the surface where the water company treats it to ensure that it is safe to drink. It is then pumped into a storage tank and upon demand by the customer, flows through distribution pipes into the home and ultimately to the faucet.

So, not only have you drank water that fish have been swimming in, you most likely drink water that humans and other animals have urinated in or crapped in too. It also has had a few hundred animals die in it also.

surface water include creeks, lakes and streams.

I'm pretty sure the bolded is pretty important...I'm pretty sure "I don't drink water that fish have been swimming in" is in reference to drinking that water directly from source...good grief.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Did you ever think about what all fish do in the water? If you are afraid of tilapia why would you ever drink water?

My water comes from the Ohio river. Granted, it is filtered by Greater Cincinnati Water Works before it gets to my house but yeah, it's had fish swimming in it.

Also, all those bottles of spring water at the grocery store? Those springs have fish in them.

I've also gotten swigs of aquarium water accidentally when siphoning tanks. Didn't die.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    If you are eating tilapia because it is just a form of lean protein, fine. If you are eating tilapia for the benefits of upping your omega 3 to omega 6 ratio, you're not doing yourselves any favors. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19757249
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    My main hangup with it is that the tilapia and swai tends to be farmed from Vietnam/China, which don't exactly have the best environmental regulations, so I try not to eat it too often out of concern for potential chemical/heavy metals contamination. On the bright side, I recently read that tuna is showing lower levels of mercury contamination these days.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    ritzvin wrote: »
    My main hangup with it is that the tilapia and swai tends to be farmed from Vietnam/China, which don't exactly have the best environmental regulations, so I try not to eat it too often out of concern for potential chemical/heavy metals contamination. On the bright side, I recently read that tuna is showing lower levels of mercury contamination these days.

Tilapia is farmed all over the world including in the US. Whole Foods now sells it. I think you'd have a hard time finding Chinese tilapia in the US these days. Most comes from Mexico, Honduras, and Indonesia.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,047 Member
    Yeah i do t eat it at all now when i Heard that its Not a real fish. Its government made.

Wha??
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member

Wha??

It's kinda like The Matrix, except for fish.
  • Alatariel75

Wha??

It's kinda like The Matrix, except for fish.

I'm reminded of the episode of Better Off Ted where they grow the steak
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member

giphy.gif

That wasn't tilapia. That was crack. Crack was created by the government. Also AIDS.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    marm1962 wrote: »

Lake Tahoe has fish swimming in it and is the best tasting drinking water, so yeah, I have.

I am not sure where your drinking water comes from but, Drinking water comes from one of two sources: ground water or surface water. Ground water originates from precipitation that falls in the form of rain or snow and seeps into the ground, filling the open spaces, or pore space, within layers of sand or gravel (formations) beneath the land surface. Under the ground there is a zone of saturation where the subsurface is completely saturated with water. Layers of sand and gravel in this saturated zone are called aquifers. An aquifer is a geologic formation containing water in quantities sufficient to yield water to a well. The well pumps water to the surface where the water company treats it to ensure that it is safe to drink. It is then pumped into a storage tank and upon demand by the customer, flows through distribution pipes into the home and ultimately to the faucet.

So, not only have you drank water that fish have been swimming in, you most likely drink water that humans and other animals have urinated in or crapped in too. It also has had a few hundred animals die in it also.

surface water include creeks, lakes and streams.

I'm pretty sure the bolded is pretty important...I'm pretty sure "I don't drink water that fish have been swimming in" is in reference to drinking that water directly from source...good grief.

Say what you mean and mean what you say
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    What about other milder fish?

I think we're getting way too far off topic for such a reasonable question.

But, I also eat farmed Norwegian salmon.
  • Alatariel75
    We eat a lot of flake here in Australia, it's very mild. And also it's shark.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited February 2017
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    I keep hearing that tilapia is really the worst fish to eat. Has everyone pretty much stopped eating it for protein now?

LOL! No. Certainly not. It is actually fine to eat.

You can find as many articles that are for tilapia, as are against it. Frankly, I think it's a perfectly fine fish to eat. But you are right - everyone should make up their own mind.

http://time.com/3895811/tilapia-health-benefits/

http://www.yourdoctorsorders.com/2015/04/the-tilapia-truth/

If we’re going to continue to eat fish, and to feed it to the people scheduled to join us on this planet in the coming years, we have to farm it. And if we’re going to farm fish, an adaptable, hardy fish like tilapia is an excellent candidate.

What about the poop? Seafood Watch scientist Tyler Isaac explains that manure is often used in fish ponds, but not as food. It fertilizes the algae and plankton that the fish eat. Do tilapia sometimes nibble on it? Well, probably. They’ll nibble on your toes if you let them.

http://www.cgiar.org/consortium-news/improved-tilapia-the-gift-that-keeps-giving/

Always remember those TV show documentaries whether about fish, about health, about cleanliness or whatever produced for shock purposes and usually have an agenda to push.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I don't mind it. I would pick other types of fish given the opportunity (tilapia is too lean so can be a bit dry and lacking), but I don't find it tastes like dirt. I'm not overly swayed by the gross factor people try to pin on some foods. I'll drink my pus (milk) and eat my ground carcass byproducts (nuggets and canned franks) with a nice crusty slice of ground rats/insects (bread).

It's a sustainable fish, and I would have it more often if I liked it enough.