No more tilapia?

Options

Replies

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Did you ever think about what all fish do in the water? If you are afraid of tilapia why would you ever drink water?

Well I don't drink water that fish have been swimming in. Do you?

My local water comes from a filthy lake with all sorts of nastiness in it. However...the local water company filters and purifies it, so the whole valley doesn't get sick and die. I wouldn't drink directly from unfiltered water that animals, fish and probably people have been pooping in. Not wise to drink water straight from nature in most parts of the world these days (unless it's from an uncontaminated spring) without filtering it first. That's a good way to get sick (and possibly even die.)

Yup, and it's also not wise to eat any fish or meat that hasn't been cleaned and cooked to a safe temperature.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Reaverie wrote: »
    Reaverie wrote: »
    There are also articles on how apples are bad and oatmeal is bad.. and I remember when milk was bad..then it wasn't..then steak was.. now certain fish has mercury and should be limited yet the healthiest longest living people in the world eat it without question. Do your own research. Articles are written by mostly uneducated monkeys. But yeah, tilapia does taste gross. Doesn't mean it's bad for you.. just means it's gross. Want to know how Germans use to make sauerkraut? You would be grossed out.. but it really isn't bad for you.

By fermentation? Like I, and plenty of other people still do? Or like the one people buy from the fridge not the shelf in the supermarket?

My dad grew up in Germany and he said they would layer a layer of straw, a layer of cow poo, a layer of straw, a layer of cabbage, a layer of straw, a layer of cow poo, a layer of straw,...it continues on that way.. in a large vat and let it sit to ferment. They process it now. But there are a lot of foods old timers ate that today we would gag on. Brains and eggs was a thing my dad grew up on. He also ate cows eyes and grasshoppers. He would go to the hen house and crack open an egg and drink it right there. Lovely generation, the 50's..

I call B.S. on that story. Somebody was trying to freak you out. LOL. Just because something tastes like crap doesn't mean it's made of crap. My great-grandma grew in up in Germany (born in the 1800's) and they fermented the cabbage using salt, just like civilized people do today. They did fertilize the cabbage fields with poop, though...Also, my grandma never ate eyeballs, bugs, raw eggs or brains either. But maybe that was just her personal preference. ;)
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    Did you ever think about what all fish do in the water? If you are afraid of tilapia why would you ever drink water?

Lake Tahoe has fish swimming in it and is the best tasting drinking water, so yeah, I have.

I am not sure where your drinking water comes from but, Drinking water comes from one of two sources: ground water or surface water. Ground water originates from precipitation that falls in the form of rain or snow and seeps into the ground, filling the open spaces, or pore space, within layers of sand or gravel (formations) beneath the land surface. Under the ground there is a zone of saturation where the subsurface is completely saturated with water. Layers of sand and gravel in this saturated zone are called aquifers. An aquifer is a geologic formation containing water in quantities sufficient to yield water to a well. The well pumps water to the surface where the water company treats it to ensure that it is safe to drink. It is then pumped into a storage tank and upon demand by the customer, flows through distribution pipes into the home and ultimately to the faucet.

So, not only have you drank water that fish have been swimming in, you most likely drink water that humans and other animals have urinated in or crapped in too. It also has had a few hundred animals die in it also.

surface water include creeks, lakes and streams.

Many river provides the water for millions of people all around the world.

Not only animals and their waste. I remember factories dumping poison in there. No legal refuse place would accept the stuff so they pumped it away.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

Unless you're drinking well water (and maybe not even then) something nasty was in your water somewhere upstream of you, and it was doing a lot more than swimming. And that's even if you're drinking tap or bottled water.

Circle of life and all that....
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    What about other milder fish?
  • adamgoleafs87
    adamgoleafs87 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Uhhhhhhhhhh....hahah
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing tilapia is fine for you. I'm hoping we can continue to improve methods for farming fish. In the meantime, I eat farmed fish in moderation.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    What about other milder fish?

They crap in the water too.

Seriously all fish are fine, wild caught might be better..Farmed is better than none.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

Where do you get your water from?

My water is treated and filtered well water from my own well.

Most community water is treated before distributed to the population.

Not exactly the same thing as drinking it directly from the polluted lake or river.
  • ktrulez
    ktrulez Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    lol, this thread made me rethink about my choice of lunch that i prepped for the whole week..
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    ktrulez wrote: »
    lol, this thread made me rethink about my choice of lunch that i prepped for the whole week..

Unfounded scaremongering about perfectly healthy foods never makes me rethink my food choices. Otherwise, I'd be cutting oatmeal, bagged vegetables and farmed fish out of my diet just based upon the three threads I can think of in the last day or so here. Keep reading garbage like that and soon enough there's nothing "healthy" left to eat.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Unfounded scaremongering about perfectly healthy foods never makes me rethink my food choices. Otherwise, I'd be cutting oatmeal, bagged vegetables and farmed fish out of my diet just based upon the three threads I can think of in the last day or so here. Keep reading garbage like that and soon enough there's nothing "healthy" left to eat.

You forgot apples.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

You forgot apples.

And eggs too. Forgot about eggs.

Whelp......
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

You forgot apples.

Whelp......

Apparently everything that I eat regularly, is literally poison. Everything in this quote chain is something that I eat almost daily. O_O
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

You forgot apples.

Whelp......

Apparently everything that I eat regularly, is literally poison. Everything in this quote chain is something that I eat almost daily. O_O

giphy.gif
  • CHYNArockstarr
    CHYNArockstarr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah i do t eat it at all now when i Heard that its Not a real fish. Its government made.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there is anything at all wrong with eating it. But we rarely buy it for the same reason I rarely buy any bland white fish. I'm not fond of bland foods. The only white fish we typically eat is orange roughy or catfish.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    There is NOTHING wrong w/farmed tilapia.

Then why so much hate for it? I see article after article saying it's the worst fish you can eat.

Just nonsense IMO.

Catfish is another farmed bottom fish and I don't hear similar criticism of it. Both are delicious when properly prepared and cooked.

This. If you're talking about a fish that eats excrement, catfish is king.

I couldn't care less what the fish eats. I LOVE me some catfish.