Options
    18.44 down
    71.56 to go
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @MNlittlefinn glad it was nothing more serious
    @7lenny7 great risk analysis very wise. I love the graffiti – awesome
    @respectthekitty ha ha on the running shoes stink. I have the bad tendency to hardly ever wear socks so I have lots of stinky shoes. At PT the other day I had to take off my shoes and I said sorry got stinky old running shoes smell, he laughed and said that’s nothing to what I smell on some days. Ha ha Also glad to hear you are feeling better and tapering off some meds.
    @lporter229 right now I’m doing 3 exercises 3 set of 10 reps and it takes me about 10 minutes. Other times it’s been up to 15 or 20, 2 times a day. Who the heck has 4 or 5 times a days to do that?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    A very windy run around town today. A lot of fluctuation, and there were gusts a bit faster than this, but here is what Weather Underground says about wind:

56a20a6765f9365d9518f5a1da1640e6.png

exercise.png
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    http://runningmagazine.ca/kris-bucci-recaps-5k-run-with-justin-trudeau/

Justin Trudeau is a runner, because of course he is!

I'm sure he squats too... just guessing from those glutes.

Is there some visual evidence to support this assertion?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    http://runningmagazine.ca/kris-bucci-recaps-5k-run-with-justin-trudeau/

Justin Trudeau is a runner, because of course he is!

I'm sure he squats too... just guessing from those glutes.

Is there some visual evidence to support this assertion?

http://www.thebitbag.com/much-new-justin-trudeau-memes-flood-twitter-due-bubble-butt-photo/228485
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - Love the graffiti, especially the eyes!
    @lporter229 - The PT gave me exercises to do a minimum of twice a day, with four times being optimum. I did them as soon as I woke up, mid-morning, mid-afternoon and before bed. I also work from home so I had more leeway to fit them into my day.
    @RespectTheKitty - So glad changing your existing meds is making such a good change for you!
    @BeeerRunner - there was a BQ race last summer in Vancouver that was measured wrong and many people were understandably upset when all of the BQ times were thrown out. I can't imagine thinking you had qualified and then being told - sorry we screwed up by 1,000 feet!
    @girlinahat and @midwesterner85 - love the Justin Trudeau comments and memes :wink:

Got in an ugly run. Everything was tight from my hips down despite foam rolling and mid-run stretching. It wasn't until mile 3 that my legs felt better and by mile 5 they were just tired and done.

Date........Miles.......Total
    03/01......0.00........0.00
    03/02......5.20........5.20
    03/03......6.02......11.22
    03/04......9.40......20.62
    03/05......2.68......23.30
    03/06......5.23......28.53

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/23/17 - San Francisco 1st Half Marathon
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    just ordered new guide 10, i'll use them for my marathon, i should have them on friday, my guide 9 have holes on toes, but i absolutely hate hate hate the nb i've got andi'd prefer to run on the palms of my hands. really good. but obviously get your run style tested and try what's best for you
    @patrikc333 Ha, that visual made me lol. FYI, if you really love the guide 9, I just bought a pair fairly recently off Amazon for ~$60. Price probably dropped now that the 10 is out.

@MNLittleFinn Great news! I have a feeling that you'll be back to marathon training in no time.

@lporter229 I hope your PT appointment goes well tomorrow and you can start easing back into running and training! Regarding PT exercises: mine take about an hour to get through and I have been doing them every other day (2-3 sets per exercise). Add in trying to get in cross training on those days and it's a lot!

@7lenny7 Wow, impressive run and neat pics!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: March MTD (goal = 95)
    03/01/17 :::: 2.3 :::: 2.3
    03/02/17 :::: 6.7 :::: 9.0
    03/03/17 :::: 5.1 :::: 14.1
    03/04/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 17.2
    03/05/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 19.9
    03/06/17 :::: 4.4 :::: 24.2

Had a great run group workout tonight. 20 minute tempo run, plus 4 sprints, with warm-up and cool-down. Garmin stats say I ran my fastest 5k time, but I'm discounting it because of sprints and on and off running. Still nice to see! I got some really nice comments from one of the coaches and another of the really experienced marathoners about how much I've progressed in running and that made me feel really good.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Unplanned rest day for me. I started feeling crappy yesterday afternoon and woke up feeling a little worse. Felt like I probably needed the extra sleep rather than going to the gym before work. I've continued to feel a little worse throughout the day today, so tomorrow might be another day off too. Going to see how I feel when I wake up tomorrow.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Mar 02     4.6T       4.6
    Mar 04     6.5       11.1
    Mar 06     4.4T      15.5

exercise.png

Did something weird to the ball of my left foot on Saturday's run, so backed off of Sunday, and did a shorter course on the treadmill tonight. Feels better, but not 100%. I think it is an issue with my running form and this particular shoe.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    3/1 6.3r + 4.2w
    3/2 7.25r + 4.5w + 1000m row
    3/3 6.5r + 4.8w
    3/4 10.2r + 0.5w
    3/5 0.0r + 4.0w
    3/6 5.1r + 5.1w + 1200m row
    Total so far: 35.35r + 23.1w = 58.45 miles

Tonight was the maiden voyage of the new shoes. This particular model felt a little roomier, which was nice but I discovered it took a little getting used to while I was running. At first it felt like my legs were flailing all over the place. It took a good three miles to get in a groove, and then it felt pretty good. Also, I noticed I didn't have my usual achilles ache in the first half mile, so that was a bonus.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 -- if someone had jumped out at me like that, I would have completely lost it! His poor sister.

@MNLittleFinn - great news! Good thing you took a break as soon as you felt pain. Since I had to take that week off with the flu I'm amazed at how the pains I'm just used too having here and there were gone.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    March goal: lose (another)3lbs
    3/1 2.54 + core/strength training 30m
    3/2 3.20
    3/3 5.25
    3/4 yoga 45m
    3/5 rest
    3/6 4.17

Total: 15.16

@7lenny7 Great graffiti pics!

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    While stumbling from web page to web page came across this video series from MEC ( Mountain Equipment Co-op ) about running - in Canadian Running.

http://runningmagazine.ca/mec-running-video-series-episode-6-race-day/
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    07/03 - 7.5 drizzle run - refreshing :)
    exercise.png
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 and @shanaber It took me a while to connect the dots as well. the Kayano21 though, when you put them on you had to run, your feet wanted to ... but with the heel pain, as soon as I tried on the Saucony (or the Mizuno) and you started running, the difference in support was amazing ... such a shame though, as the Asics were so nice ... :(
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    In happier news though, I have an awesome new problem. I'm still trying to lose some weight, but last week I lost ~3.5 lbs, and another 2.2 the previous week. That's too fast! So I need to eat even more! Woohoo! Guess I've been being a little too conservative with my estimates, and staying under my net goal a little too much.

I've been trying to make my weight trend sideways for 5 years now, and marathon training makes it hard to see the trend. I can be down a full pound two days in a row, then up 3 or 4 pounds after a rest day. That comes back off with 2 days of running. The fluctuations have to be water and other residuals in my gastro-intestinal system; but the fluctuations can obscure the truth.

Lately I've come to think that I'm mostly seeing water bound to glycogen going away with hard training, and coming back with rest. I think I began to see this a little when I was running 35 miles per week, but it's very obvious when I'm over 50 miles per week with a couple of quality workout days and a long run.

So . . . depending on how often you weight, what you're seeing may or may not reflect reality. The weight can fluctuate more in serious training mode than it does when you're just running the same amount every week. And yes, ramping up the miles can mean you need to eat more to maintain the weight; but if you're trying to lose, you feel good, and your running performance is good, I wouldn't worry about the weight coming off. Time enough to worry about that when you no longer want to lose and/or your running performance suffers and/or you feel awful after losing too much, too fast.

Just for the sake of example, here's my last 7 days of weight fluctuation.

rest day, then +1.2 lbs.
    speed work day, then -0.2 lbs.
    easy run day, then -0.4 lbs.
    long MP interval day, then -1.0 lbs.
    rest day, then +3.0 lbs.
    16 mile snowy run, then -2.0 lbs.
    12 mile run on tired legs, then -0.8 lbs.

Net change over 7 days, -0.2 lbs. I'll call that maintenance, even though the daily numbers bounce around more than they would if I were just conservatively running 35 mostly easy miles per week. Rest day today, and I expect my weight to bounce back up tomorrow morning.

@MobyCarp

Thanks for that! You made me look at my stats. (Sorry, my formatting is a bit different.)

01 Mar – 12.6 km easy; 64.2 kg
    02 Mar – 2.6 km + 1200 metres swimming; 63.4 kg (-0.8 kg from previous day)
    03 Mar – 10 km fairly easy; 64.4 kg (+ 1 kg from previous day)
    04 Mar – 8.2 km including parkrun which was flat out; 64.2 kg (-0.2 kg from previous day)
    05 Mar - rest/walk day; 63.5 kg (-0.7 kg from previous day)
    06 Mar – 14.2 km easy; 64 kg (+0.5 kg from previous day)
    07 Mar - 07 Mar – 2.7 km + 1200 metres swimming; 64.3 kg (+0.3 kg)

I'd been confused why I'd noticed I was going up after a rest day, but hadn't realised I was going down after a run day. Apart from today, but I ate a lot of salt yesterday.