Countdown to St. Patrick's Day!

Options

Replies

• RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    Options
    I was literally asking what they do to celebrate it other than drink. I've mentioned that a few times.

I wear green so I don't get pinched, speak in my hilariously incorrect Irish accent, and I drink a lot of alcohol that day and generally have a good time.
    Is that good enough?
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,326 Member
    Options
    So you saying we should not have irish bars or restaurant in the states??

Ppl celebrate their heritage.. and share it with others.. what's hard to understand about it?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    There's no need to speak to me like I'm some sort of half-wit. I was just asking as there are Americans and other nationalities with Irish relations obviously and I was curious what they actually do to celebrate it other than drinking. It's irritating because alot of people come over here and take the mickey out of our accents and aye they do use it as an excuse for drinking when most don't even have any knowledge or relations to Ireland. I have a right to say whatever I want. It would be like me celebrating the 4th of July or Thanksgiving, pointless as I'm not American.... I think you get my point.
    • I wasn't speaking to you like a half-wit.
    • If you go back and look at the history of this thread, many Irish people have looked down on me for wanting to drink or celebrate St Paddy's Day by drinking or the fact that Americans do that. Which is my choice on how I celebrate any holiday and also my choice what to celebrate. I also have Irish roots and I enjoy celebrating my Irish roots that day as well.
    • Since you aren't American and therefore I can't assume what you know, I was explaining what most Americans do on other holidays to show you that St Paddy's day isn't really any different than any other holiday here in America.
    • I have never heard the term "take the mickey out..." before and had to look that up. I will totally disagree with you on it. I have never witnessed someone do an Irish accent maliciously here in America.
    • You said it yourself "they do use it as an excuse for drinking when most don't even have any knowledge or relations to Ireland", which is the same thing that many people do for Cinco De Mayo even though they aren't of Mexican heritage. Who cares if they have any roots? One good thing about St Patrick's Day is it's all inclusive and leaves no one out. Of course some cities are more into then others.
    • The only real tradition for St. Patrick's Day here in America is to wear green and if you don't wear green you get pinched (usually the pinching is only practiced by school kids).

Why do you feel the need to tell me you have the right to say what you want? Who was stopping you from saying what you want? It wasn't me, so I have no idea why you feel that you can't say what you want?

I absolutely do not get your point or why you related you saying you can't say what you want and then started talking about celebrating other holidays.

And by the way, when I said, I think you get my point, that meant I could go on with tons of examples but didn't feel the need to as I felt I had offered enough examples. I could of also said, etc.
  • hunnahs26
    hunnahs26 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    So you saying we should not have irish bars or restaurant in the states??

Ppl celebrate their heritage.. and share it with others.. what's hard to understand about it?

Nah I'm not saying that? I'm asking what else they do to celebrate.. Again!! Like do they go on tours etc.

They have parades, food, Irish beer, wear green. We do lots here. It's really fun and games. Kind of like how on Christmas we put up a tree, put lights on it. Most people will wear red, blue, or green. It's just light hearted fun.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Like *kitten* haha. Again, I literally asked what they do to celebrate other than drinking. I was genuinely interested and it's caused people ganging up on me. Haha.

So I have Irish herrialtage, my grandma was 100%. Yes us American drink and get silly on st pats day, but it’s (in my experience) not in a mocking sort of way, it’s just a fun day here in America. Also (in my experience) Americans don’t think poorly of the Irish. I see where in your eyes it may come across crude but it isn’t ill intentioned. You should come for a visit and experience it for yourself some time. I think you’d enjoy ourvtake on it