Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Supermodels don't eat''

Options

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Super models do eat and most eat healthy diets. They generally avoid resistance exercises other than yoga because they don't want to build muscle but rather stretch and lengthen muscle.

You're not going to lengthen muscle without some fairly radical surgeries. Clothing model aesthetic is a living, walking clothes hanger.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Super models do eat and most eat healthy diets. They generally avoid resistance exercises other than yoga because they don't want to build muscle but rather stretch and lengthen muscle.

You're not going to lengthen muscle without some fairly radical surgeries. Clothing model aesthetic is a living, walking clothes hanger.

Please read the attached MIT article on stretching and the lengthening reaction. The muscle as a whole does not lengthen but the muscle fibres within each muscle do lengthen...making the appearance of the muscle flatten out and look leaner overall as opposed to building muscle by contracting it which shortens the muscle fibres resulting in the appearance of the muscle to become more "cut."

Yes you have to be really good at yoga to get max benefits of stretching like teacher level..but many models are actually certified yogis. Rainbeau Mars for example. But that is no different from fact you need to be really good at bodybuilding to get your muscles to be cut/ripped etc. Stretching exercises vs contraction exercises affect the muscles differently and the results are different types of equally muscular bodies.
    http://web.mit.edu/tkd/stretch/stretching_2.html#SEC17
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Please read the attached MIT article on stretching and the lengthening reaction. The muscle as a whole does not lengthen but the muscle fibres within each muscle do lengthen...making the appearance of the muscle flatten out and look leaner overall as opposed to building muscle by contracting it which shortens the muscle fibres resulting in the appearance of the muscle to become more "cut."

Yes you have to be really good at yoga to get max benefits of stretching like teacher level..but many models are actually certified yogis. Rainbeau Mars for example. But that is no different from fact you need to be really good at bodybuilding to get your muscles to be cut/ripped etc. Stretching exercises vs contraction exercises affect the muscles differently and the results are different types of equally muscular bodies.

That article doesn't say anything about altering the length of the muscle itself.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Erg I can't embed a picture. But you've posted some no name model. super models include the VS angels. Here is a pic of them
    https://goo.gl/images/smKH5U.

LOL! No retouching done there at all! ;)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

That is talking about how to become more flexible. When you try to stretch to touch your toes but can't? That's because of the thing you linked. The muscle works against you stretching it too far. It has nothing to do with how your muscles look while relaxed.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Super models do eat and most eat healthy diets. They generally avoid resistance exercises other than yoga because they don't want to build muscle but rather stretch and lengthen muscle. They also look extra skinny because they are also super tall which naturally means longer, leaner muscle tone and a taller model will look thinner than a shorter model to the human eye via a sort of optical illusion. They also deliberately dehydrate themselves and fast before a show so their bellies will be as flat as possible. They spray on anti-cellulite, firming spray that tightens up thighs and upper arms while prepping backstage. Many also get contouring body make up on all over to create the illusion of bigger boobs and rounder buttocks, slimmer thighs, defined abs, etc.

May I ask how you 'know' all of this?

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Exactly, considering muscle has fixed points due to its "job".

Muscle will stretch out if someone rather sedentary starts working out, but it is quite minimal.

Muscle lengthening has been debunked as a myth over and over by well known professionals in the field.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    From clientele I've trained who were former models, my understanding is the industry is built around VLCD. But that's anecdotal. For all I know it could also include bulimia.
    I DO know that many professional dancers and professional jockeys have eating disorders after watching a documentary on it a few years back on HBO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C1xnm7rhz0

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Macy9336
    Options

That article doesn't say anything about altering the length of the muscle itself.
    . I know...I was just saying that what I wrote was just referring to the muscle lengthening process whereby the muscle fibres are lengthened...so I didn't choose my words exactly correctly..was just trying to explain what I meant better.
    Super models do eat and most eat healthy diets. They generally avoid resistance exercises other than yoga because they don't want to build muscle but rather stretch and lengthen muscle. They also look extra skinny because they are also super tall which naturally means longer, leaner muscle tone and a taller model will look thinner than a shorter model to the human eye via a sort of optical illusion. They also deliberately dehydrate themselves and fast before a show so their bellies will be as flat as possible. They spray on anti-cellulite, firming spray that tightens up thighs and upper arms while prepping backstage. Many also get contouring body make up on all over to create the illusion of bigger boobs and rounder buttocks, slimmer thighs, defined abs, etc.

May I ask how you 'know' all of this?
    I have a professional photographer friend in London. She's tells me about the weird tricks of the trade when we gossip. :)

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    most models don't tbh. One in 200 American women suffers from anorexia. Two to three in 100 American women suffers from bulimia. 1.1% - 4.2% of females suffer from bulimia nervosa in their lifetime. As many as 10% of college women suffer from a clinical or nearly clinical eating disorder, including 5.1% who suffer from bulimia nervosa. Part taking in looks based sports or professions raises the odds by 20% of those that even admit to having a disorder.
    I used to amateur model and even in that range many who seemed healthy were not. You cannot gage someone's health by looking at them at my "fittest" I worked out 3hrs a day and ate 500-max 1000 cals a day and was 10lbs over what would be considered high fashion catwalk for my height.

But they still eat very small amounts. I don't know any anorexics who ate nothing at all. You wouldn't be able to function at all on no food.

generally people with disorders will eat small amounts but not always daily. I know most VS models don't eat for 3days before shows, the longest I ever went I think was 3days but I know many who went longer. Even with the small amounts its not healthy.

I'm curious to know how you know so much about what VS models do and do not do as far as eating habits.
  • FatPorkyChop
    FatPorkyChop Posts: 83 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I ve read a few model's interview and they eat very little and train 5 times a week, they (the ones interviewed) often consider eating fish as a "treat", very often eat vegan/ plant food diet (but not exclusively as they have fish for great occasions
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    they eat but not much. guarantee 99% of the runway models do not have their periods due to such a low BMI. I have a few family members who are models and have spent whole days with them they eat around 1500-1800 a day, which is enough to maintain. If you think about it the average model is quite tall even though underweight, so they could easily maintain their weight eating 1500-1800 a day.
  • Macy9336
    Options
    they eat but not much. guarantee 99% of the runway models do not have their periods due to such a low BMI. I have a few family members who are models and have spent whole days with them they eat around 1500-1800 a day, which is enough to maintain. If you think about it the average model is quite tall even though underweight, so they could easily maintain their weight eating 1500-1800 a day.

Athletes can also lose their periods even with a healthy BMI due to low body fat. At the peak of my varsity running, I once went a whole year between periods. I was a healthy weight at 112lbs and 5'1" tall which is a BMI of 21... 18 is the lowest healthy range BMI.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options

Athletes can also lose their periods even with a healthy BMI due to low body fat. At the peak of my varsity running, I once went a whole year between periods. I was a healthy weight at 112lbs and 5'1" tall which is a BMI of 21... 18 is the lowest healthy range BMI.

Yes I know this but most models do not have it due to low BF as well.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    My best friend in college worked part - time as a model for bridal shows. She was naturally very slender, and ate just fine. She said that she couldn't do fashion because her hips were too big for that, and she was unwilling to shave herself or engage in other disordered eating, unlike many of the young women she modeled with.

Most modeling requires a very specific body type and measurements so that you fit garments with minimal pinning. Problems arise because the standard modeling size is natural and sustainable to a very tiny percentage of women, but the career is attractive to many more. Just like athletes, dedicated models may work very hard to keep their bodies within the demands of the industry, and that leads to many struggling with disordered eating, especially since the stock sizes used are on the extreme end of thin (where body shape is most predictable).

But not all very thin models are that way from starving themselves. Some people are just really slender. I have 3 female cousins ( and 3 male cousins) with that physique, and I assure you they eat, and eat well.

Yes, there is no reason models have to eat a starvation level. They can eat very well. All they need to do is maintain and eat at maintenance. (Which isn't that low for someone so tall)
  • jamocha101
    jamocha101 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It depends on the modeling agency and the regional culture. Runway models, (notoriously from Russia, incidentally) are historically known for unhealthy eating habits. Rumors surrounding the unsound regimes of Victoria's Secret models are more dubious in my opinion. Those girls don't look unhealthy/emaciated to me, and many of them go on to have children. My guess is that VS is actually on the healthier end of the high-profile modeling spectrum.
  • Macy9336
    Options

Yes I know this but most models do not have it due to low BF as well.

I don't know if we can say that most models who lose their period do so only due to low BMI. Many of them also over exercise, resulting in low body fat. So it's probably a combination of the two...as many models are at a BMI of 18... which would be enough to have a period if it weren't for over exercising.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    jamocha101 wrote: »
    It depends on the modeling agency and the regional culture. Runway models, (notoriously from Russia, incidentally) are historically known for unhealthy eating habits. Rumors surrounding the unsound regimes of Victoria's Secret models are more dubious in my opinion. Those girls don't look unhealthy/emaciated to me, and many of them go on to have children. My guess is that VS is actually on the healthier end of the high-profile modeling spectrum.

I agree with your comments on VS models. Many runway and high fashion models tend to appear underweight and unhealthy, but VS models look like they fall within the healthy range. They don't want their models to look sick and emaciated. They want them to fill out the lingerie and look fit and sexy. I'm sure they are very strict with their exercise and diet, and certainly some of them do have eating disorders due to the pressure of competition, but in general as a group, those women aren't unhealthy or unnatural looking. I had a similar body at that age, and I've never had an ED. Slim, athletic bodies just happen to run in my family. (I'm old now, but I'm still slim and fit. Maybe just not so hot now. ;) ) Healthy, thin people do exist in the world; and not everybody harms themselves to get that way.

Pretty much this. Most VS/Sports Illustrated/commercial/catalogue/"celebrity" models (the Hadids etc.) tend to be low-normal BMI/body fat percentage in appearance with some curves and a little muscle. Those girls are likely eating reasonable diets with reasonable exercise and to me they look slim but certainly not even close to emaciated or even technically underweight in most cases. I'm sure some of them resort to unhealthy means but I think most people would agree that their (un-photoshopped) bodies are attainable without resorting to unhealthy behaviors.

However, the very young Eastern European runway girls who need to be like 32-24-33 if they want to book shows, not so much. From the outside it seems fairly obvious that most of those girls are not eating enough to maintain health. There are a few that are probably just young and active enough to maintain 110 lbs on a 5'11" frame, but I'm betting the vast majority have to rely on very small portions, ED-behaviors, or excessive exercise (or a combo) to maintain that way. Thighs exactly the width of one's knees all the way up, visible ribcage emanating from the sternum, razor-sharp hipbones and collarbones (particularly when you can see the end of bone at the shoulder) and sunken cheeks, those kind of things are the signs to me that a body is underweight and that a woman is not eating (for whatever reason) and those things are visible on nearly every high-fashion runway.