Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Supermodels don't eat''

Options
healthypelican
healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
I used to think main stream/catwalk models existed on apples and cotton balls. It seemed like they didn't eat, growing up in the 90s.

I've been on MFP for a while now and have read many transformation stories. I've seen people with fantastic figures, low body fat and decent muscle tone from people that claim to eat 2000+ calories a day assuming they exercise.

So do models eat a sensible, healthy amount of food? I don't think Victoria Secret models could look that way if they starved themselves. I guess it depends on the type of model.

I'm probably not going to reply to this because I am expecting some heated responses, but I will watch. Sorry!

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    victoria's secret angels eat i'm sure, i know they work out like crazy. tons of cardio, lifting, 2 x per day before a show. but i've read that up to a few weeks before a show they'll do liquid only diets or less than 1000 cal per day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Super models do eat and most eat healthy diets. They generally avoid resistance exercises other than yoga because they don't want to build muscle but rather stretch and lengthen muscle. They also look extra skinny because they are also super tall which naturally means longer, leaner muscle tone and a taller model will look thinner than a shorter model to the human eye via a sort of optical illusion. They also deliberately dehydrate themselves and fast before a show so their bellies will be as flat as possible. They spray on anti-cellulite, firming spray that tightens up thighs and upper arms while prepping backstage. Many also get contouring body make up on all over to create the illusion of bigger boobs and rounder buttocks, slimmer thighs, defined abs, etc.

IDK about that...current trend in runway modeling looks like this...

Thin-model-012.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=305d31439ca663e0e26f384c9fc26960

• healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Super models do eat and most eat healthy diets. They generally avoid resistance exercises other than yoga because they don't want to build muscle but rather stretch and lengthen muscle. They also look extra skinny because they are also super tall which naturally means longer, leaner muscle tone and a taller model will look thinner than a shorter model to the human eye via a sort of optical illusion. They also deliberately dehydrate themselves and fast before a show so their bellies will be as flat as possible. They spray on anti-cellulite, firming spray that tightens up thighs and upper arms while prepping backstage. Many also get contouring body make up on all over to create the illusion of bigger boobs and rounder buttocks, slimmer thighs, defined abs, etc.

Thin-model-012.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=305d31439ca663e0e26f384c9fc26960

Yikes.

Although my stream of thought is, once you reach a certain weight, you eat to maintain at that level rather than eating to lose weight? So wouldn't they eat 1200 minimum.

^Although maybe not that model.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Erg I can't embed a picture. But you've posted some no name model. super models include the VS angels. Here is a pic of them
    https://goo.gl/images/smKH5U.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    most models don't tbh. One in 200 American women suffers from anorexia. Two to three in 100 American women suffers from bulimia. 1.1% - 4.2% of females suffer from bulimia nervosa in their lifetime. As many as 10% of college women suffer from a clinical or nearly clinical eating disorder, including 5.1% who suffer from bulimia nervosa. Part taking in looks based sports or professions raises the odds by 20% of those that even admit to having a disorder.
    I used to amateur model and even in that range many who seemed healthy were not. You cannot gage someone's health by looking at them at my "fittest" I worked out 3hrs a day and ate 500-max 1000 cals a day and was 10lbs over what would be considered high fashion catwalk for my height.

But they still eat very small amounts. I don't know any anorexics who ate nothing at all. You wouldn't be able to function at all on no food.
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Id argue that real stats are probably much higher than what is reported in my experience. That's not to say every model has an ED but I would confidently say the majority would fall on the disordered spectrum
  • sarajenivieve
    Options
    most models don't tbh. One in 200 American women suffers from anorexia. Two to three in 100 American women suffers from bulimia. 1.1% - 4.2% of females suffer from bulimia nervosa in their lifetime. As many as 10% of college women suffer from a clinical or nearly clinical eating disorder, including 5.1% who suffer from bulimia nervosa. Part taking in looks based sports or professions raises the odds by 20% of those that even admit to having a disorder.
    I used to amateur model and even in that range many who seemed healthy were not. You cannot gage someone's health by looking at them at my "fittest" I worked out 3hrs a day and ate 500-max 1000 cals a day and was 10lbs over what would be considered high fashion catwalk for my height.

But they still eat very small amounts. I don't know any anorexics who ate nothing at all. You wouldn't be able to function at all on no food.

generally people with disorders will eat small amounts but not always daily. I know most VS models don't eat for 3days before shows, the longest I ever went I think was 3days but I know many who went longer. Even with the small amounts its not healthy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Yikes.

Although my stream of thought is, once you reach a certain weight, you eat to maintain at that level rather than eating to lose weight? So wouldn't they eat 1200 minimum.

^Although maybe not that model.

Not if they're anorexic.
  • sarajenivieve
    Options

I agree and it's not healthy. Just clearing up the misconception that anorexics never eat. I had an argument on here the other day with someone who was convinced that anorexics never ever eat (only bulimics eat apparently) and didn't believe me when I said they do even though I am a mostly recovered anorexic who went through inpatient and day hospital refeeding programs. They definitely don't eat a healthy amount but not absolutely zero. [/quote]
    oh I've not experienced anyone who thought they literally never eat anything.. not to say there aren't cases where that happens leading up to hospitalization and/or death but yea that would have been an odd discussion to be in I didn't mean to seem as though I was suggesting all anorexics literally never eat. thanks for clarifying the misunderstanding as well.
  • kmcfran
    kmcfran Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dont forget age in there. A 16yo or even a 23yo can stay thin while eating the same amount as an older woman of same height and weight. I know that at 36 i def need to eat less, where in my teens and 20s i just snarfled up anything in front of me with no consequence. Some (more rare) people also can eat tons more without weight gain, possibly by having a higher body temp. The army discovered this in the 50s. So, age and genetics. In addition to restraint.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I know a very successful male model who is also a recovered anorexic. He says the industry definitely has triggers for anorexics with the obsession of being slender but he has a personal nutritionist and a therapist that support him. He is at a BMI of 18 and says that over half of models are at that BMI and any who are just below that are working on gaining weight. He also mentioned a French law that requires a health certificate and that he keep his BMI at 18 to work in France. A BMI of 18 is the lowest BMI in the healthy range...so even supermodels cannot be a single BMI into the underweight range the way the industry is going if they follow in Frances footsteps. Compare to the 1960s model Twiggy who had a BMI of 15. Compare also to plus size models who have very overweight BMIs to obese BMIs...Ashley Graham is borderline obese at a BMI of 29.7 (30 is start of obese range) and Tess holliday has a BMI of 42.9...almost morbidly obese. any low healthy weight model will look underweight put next to these medically overweight and obese models.