How do you drink your coffee?

crzycatlady1
crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
edited March 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I literally had my first ever cup of coffee this morning and it was like heaven opened up and the angels were singing-I'm an instant convert :D Come to find out one cup of coffee has waaay more caffeine than the diet soda I usually chug. I now get why people drink this stuff lol.

The one I had this mornings was a Mcdonalds caramel mocha. I really liked the sweetness of it, and it toned down the coffee flavor, which is pretty intense. When I have black tea I also sweeten/flavor it. So I know going into this, at least starting out, I'm going to be adding some sort of flavoring/sweetener.

I'm heading out to buy a coffee pot and I'm not quite sure what to do with it! What coffee do you buy to make at home? If you add things to your coffee what do you use? How calorie friendly are your coffee concoctions (the McDs one was 250 calories, ouch).

I know the kcups thing is really popular right now but those are really pricey. Especially interested in hearing from those who make cheap coffee :)

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I'm in the UK and at home we're mostly a milk and sugar sort of population. So a splash of semi-skimmed milk, half a teaspoon of sugar and I'm good.

I recently bought a Tassimo (pod type) machine (because it went really beautifully with the external hard drive I went in to buy) and it has creamer pods which are the same calories as my milk but.....creamier! When I have the calories for it though I have the caramel macchiato which is a nice sweet treat and only 100 calories because it's not a bucketful like in a coffee shop.

So the second part is of no use to anyone not in the UK but for those who are in the UK, enjoy!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    I'm fortunate enough to have three coffee roasters in my neighborhood. I generally prefer brighter, more acidic coffee and usually buy beans from either Kenya or Ethiopia. I drink it black, but I'll usually add 1/2 tsp of sugar to darker, more bitter roasts.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    If I'm drinking hot coffee, I go with either whole milk or 1/2 & 1/2. No sweetener. If I'm going iced, it's milk (any kind) and Splenda. I'm very particular.

As for what I make at home, I have a Keurig so I mix and match. I have a reusable pod for the bagged stuff, but as far as the K-cups go, I love the Starbucks Cinnamon Dolce for my flavor fix and McCullagh for the high test regular.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    For a long time I was adding sugar free caramel syrup. I still do if I want something sweet, but mostly I just do a tablespoon or 2 of sweet cream now. Sugar never helped the flavor to me and just made it too sweet so I don't add any.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Your firstest ever!?! It brings a happy tear to my eye!! I used to be a cream and sugar gal, but since weaned off that and now it's a medium or bold roast black. I like to have a couple few a day, so I like I don't have to worry about calories. I have a Keurig. Makes it easy to just brew the one cup, whatever flavor I'd like. It has a carafe should I want to make a little more, but those larger pods get pricey. The smaller regular K-cups are made by all kinds of people, Wal-mart being some of the cheapest and not terrible. Congrats on your new adventure!!
  • crzycatlady1
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for the input!

Does anyone have a (store) brand they prefer, or does it all pretty much taste the same (for the more commercial/buy in a can kind).
  • Chmarly
    Chmarly Posts: 27 Member
    I drink mine black x
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    I like Green Mountain with Keurig, but I'm not sure you can get it another way. I've found over the years that you might just have to try different ones. Personally, I find Starbuck's to be really bitter, but a lot of people I know really like it. I do like Tim Horton's, but they aren't really around here. It also depends if you're going to put something in it. Since I drink it black, the flavor needs to be good. I've had some horrendous "office coffee" over the years and it'll peel paint. :smiley:
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    edited March 2017
    I I love my coffee black and bitter. I have a Ninja coffee maker and use two "scoops" of dark Italian roast to make a pot. My favorite is Pete's when on sale
  • zorrocat
    zorrocat Posts: 153 Member
    I'm trying to start drinking my coffee black, but I really really like half-and-half. It comes out to about 80-85 calories per cup for me and I'll usually have two cups in a work day, one on the weekends. No added sugar, though.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,967 Member
    I have a Kuerig and I use a french roast K-cup. I add 2 teaspoons sugar (30 cals) and 2 tablespoons regular half and half (40 cals). It is 70 calories total and I budget for 2 cups every day. I sometimes have 3 on the weekends. To me it is totally worth the 140 calories every day. I like to use a darker coffee since I add cream and sugar so it does still have some coffee flavor. My MIL makes the weakest coffee and it is just not worth drinking.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Thanks for the input!

Does anyone have a (store) brand they prefer, or does it all pretty much taste the same (for the more commercial/buy in a can kind).
    There's slight differences. I'm not familiar enough to know them but I prefer the Donut Shop or Dunkin Donuts brands. Folgers light roast is cheap and okay but the other lightens up better with creamer IMO.
  • crzycatlady1
    Thanks for the input!

There's slight differences. I'm not familiar enough to know them but I prefer the Donut Shop or Dunkin Donuts brands. Folgers light roast is cheap and okay but the other lightens up better with creamer IMO.

Looks like Dunkin Donuts brand is on sale for buy 1/get 1 free at my store, so maybe I'll start with that :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    We always buy whole bean coffee and grind it fresh for each pot. We have several roasters in town and like to try different things...they all do a damn good jog. We were in Colombia South America back in May and brought back a crap ton of awesome coffee.

We generally drink it black...every once in awhile I like a splash of 1/2 and 1/2...I typically prefer a medium roast.

I'm pretty snobby when it comes to my coffee...
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    I have a Keurig but you DO NOT have to buy KCups for it - You can purchase a reusable KCup filter that works perfectly. I was never fond of the choices of coffee available in KCups so I bought the filter so I can drink what I like. Currently on a coffee binge of Hawaiian Hazelnut from Sprouts :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    3-4 Keurig Starbucks French roast in the morning. Black, no sugar so I don't count the calories.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for the input!

Don Francisco's Hawaiian Hazelnut (from Wal-mart) with a third of a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a tablespoon of hazelnut creamer. Every morning. 45 calories.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I buy whatever coffee I can get cheap with sales and coupons. Lately we've been drinking Community Coffee and Eight O'clock. We make full pots and fill the grind basket about 2/3 full. Makes a decent cup, though a little strong.

I drink it black, but will sometimes add flavored creamer like international delight.

At Starbucks I stick with skinny mochas - the stuff that tastes really good is usually a calorie bomb.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I love coffee... but fair warning to the OP, a medium McDonalds Caramel Mocha I believe is 290 calories. Not sure if they can make it unsweetened and/or if it would help. I stay away from anything other than black coffee which I sweeten myself with Stevia and a little light cream or almond milk. I like my breakfast too much to blow my calories on coffee. ;)