Don't Tell Me You Can't Lose Weight With Exercise

Options
I've been losing weight lately. It isn't intentional. I've been maintaining my weight for a couple of years now, but over the past few weeks I've noticed a slow but steady decline in my weight. 208 was my goal, then it slipped to 205, which seemed fine, but then it slipped to 204 and this week it is 203. I haven't been counting my food calories, but rather I've been following my normal habits. Bacon and eggs and a banana for breakfast. Whatever Aramark is serving on the "Home" line at work. Something light for supper. And various snacks to round out rest. The thing that has changed is my exercise. I've never really liked riding my bicycle inside, but because of Zwift I don't mind it so much. That means that I have fewer off days for rain or darkness or because I don't want to mess with traffic. It also means that I have more 1,000 calorie workouts. There are no stop signs on Zwift, so I'm putting in more effort during the same amount of time that I put in outside. Burning more calories while eating about the same amount translates in to weight loss.

Replies

• stephannie6699
    stephannie6699 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information. I will now use the Zwift system to stay healthy!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    yeah as everyone has said...You cant out exercise a bad diet, But exercise does help, Of course it does. can allow you to make your defecit even higher, but again if your eating to many calories it wont help you lose weight.

Alot of people on here cant exercise, Whether from being overweight or just a busy life ...And lets admit it some lazy :p Those people can lose weight through just a defecit, Which is why its pointed out as the 80% of weight loss or whatever number people throw on it. All the exercise in the world you could fit into a day wouldnt burn off some of the big binges
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Yup, that's how CICO works. I'll burn an extra 600 calories or so today enjoying a run. Those calories will be delicious and I'll still be on track.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have ever seen anyone say that? However, it is usually mentioned that relying on exercise alone is not the best solution, as it's still important to get your diet "right", so to speak. Also, it is mentioned that one doesn't HAVE to exercise to lose weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Burning more calories while eating about the same amount translates in to weight loss.
    Erm - that's not really news Timothy, especially in the cycling fraternity. My mileage jumps up enormously when Spring comes around.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've been losing weight lately. It isn't intentional. I've been maintaining my weight for a couple of years now, but over the past few weeks I've noticed a slow but steady decline in my weight. 208 was my goal, then it slipped to 205, which seemed fine, but then it slipped to 204 and this week it is 203. I haven't been counting my food calories, but rather I've been following my normal habits. Bacon and eggs and a banana for breakfast. Whatever Aramark is serving on the "Home" line at work. Something light for supper. And various snacks to round out rest. The thing that has changed is my exercise. I've never really liked riding my bicycle inside, but because of Zwift I don't mind it so much. That means that I have fewer off days for rain or darkness or because I don't want to mess with traffic. It also means that I have more 1,000 calorie workouts. There are no stop signs on Zwift, so I'm putting in more effort during the same amount of time that I put in outside. Burning more calories while eating about the same amount translates in to weight loss.

Well.....added exercise creates a calorie deficit if you don't change your eating habits, which it sounds like you have not. Of course you're losing weight.

Exercise is just a tool. The reason you are losing weight is because you area eating in a calorie deficit.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You changed your CO without changing the CI whilst in maintenance.

The exercise alone didn't do it, eating less than you burnt did.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Okay.

I think you miss the point other people make that you think you're arguing against, but whatever.

I wouldn't lose any weight without exercise either. That doesn't mean my diet isn't my first consideration. If I were overeating, I could blow all my exercise out of the water with 10 minutes, a spoon, a jar of peanut butter, and some existential angst.

Of course you can lose weight without exercising but it's much harder to lose weight just exercising
    Many disabled people lose weight by calorie restriction only
    I've lost lots weight several times on vlcd meal replacements no exercise