124»

Replies

• zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    zfitgal wrote: »
    P.S. I am your height and i maintain 16-1700 calories on non workout days and 2,000-ish on workout days. If I wanted to drop more weight it takes 1,400 calories consistently along with more cardio and increased daily output.

You are right! I have not been at this calorie deficit for a long time, I know it takes time, I just thought I'd see something on the scale.

I was very hungry after lowering it this much, my body is just starting to get used to 1550, I'm going to give it another week and see...i know everything takes time, but working out and eating healthy is a lifestyle that I love, and not seeing movement on the scale and trying to get it to move is a job lol. Im getting over my period so I want to see where I am after...

are you very active? because I was maintaining at 1800-2000, I workout 6 days a week and have one off day.

yes,i am a personal trainer and workout 5-6 days a week.

how often do you do cardio for weight loss?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    P.S. I am your height and i maintain 16-1700 calories on non workout days and 2,000-ish on workout days. If I wanted to drop more weight it takes 1,400 calories consistently along with more cardio and increased daily output.

You are right! I have not been at this calorie deficit for a long time, I know it takes time, I just thought I'd see something on the scale.

I was very hungry after lowering it this much, my body is just starting to get used to 1550, I'm going to give it another week and see...i know everything takes time, but working out and eating healthy is a lifestyle that I love, and not seeing movement on the scale and trying to get it to move is a job lol. Im getting over my period so I want to see where I am after...

are you very active? because I was maintaining at 1800-2000, I workout 6 days a week and have one off day.

I usually add it on 3 days a week after my lifting session and i keep it to 20-30 minutes of intervals.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    So you are getting slimmer and fitter but the scale won't budge.

Well.

Scales are nasty horrible little meanies. Ignore the scale. Find a new measure of success.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    So you are getting slimmer and fitter but the scale won't budge.

Well.

Scales are nasty horrible little meanies. Ignore the scale. Find a new measure of success.

I'm barely losing i ches the scale is important to me as well
  • zfitgal
    Options

I usually add it on 3 days a week after my lifting session and i keep it to 20-30 minutes of intervals.

smart, I do it on days I don't do weights...accept one day I do weights in the am and cardio at night for an hour...maube I shud lessen cardio a bit?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I lose weight once a month. It is tied to my cycle. In the fat loss game you don't get extra points for doing everything right to insanity. You win through patience.

The slimmer thighs are EVIDENCE of your hard work. The scale isn't. To tie your happiness to the scale is a mistake.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

smart, I do it on days I don't do weights...accept one day I do weights in the am and cardio at night for an hour...maube I shud lessen cardio a bit?

I probably would. i personally get super high cortisol levels when i do too much training; especially cardio. I find if i keep it short and intense it's better. YMMV though.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I probably would. i personally get super high cortisol levels when i do too much training; especially cardio. I find if i keep it short and intense it's better. YMMV though.

OP is a personal trainer also, so I'm sure considerable thought and knowledge has gone into designing her own training program. ;)
  • zfitgal
    Options

that's so intresting, how did you find out about your cortisol levels?
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

OP is a personal trainer also, so I'm sure considerable thought and knowledge has gone into designing her own training program. ;)

yeah, that's true. :tongue:
  • zfitgal
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I lose weight once a month. It is tied to my cycle. In the fat loss game you don't get extra points for doing everything right to insanity. You win through patience.

The slimmer thighs are EVIDENCE of your hard work. The scale isn't. To tie your happiness to the scale is a mistake.

not happiness, just another important way of measuring progress
  • rainbowbow
    edited March 2017
    Options

I was feeling like crap all the time (depression, anxiety, low mood and energy), i started having hair loss, face swelling, and problems with my period, etc. Went in for a blood test and i had high cortisol and it impacted the hormones made by my pituitary gland (prolactin). It was a mess.

Anyways, taking adequate rest time and lowering stress in general solved the issue (along with a short period of a medication called cabergoline).

http://universityhealthnews.com/daily/depression/how-to-recognize-high-cortisol-symptoms/
    symptoms of high cortisol:
    Depression
    Fatigue
    Weight gain, especially in the face, upper back (“buffalo hump”), and torso
    Obesity, especially abdominal obesity/central obesity
    Back pain
    Thin skin
    Decreased concentration
    Swelling in the hands and feet
    Low libido
    Acne
    Impaired memory (especially short term)
    Female facial hair or female balding
    Insomnia
    Poor skin healing
    Irritability
    Menstrual abnormalities
    Blood sugar dysregulation/high blood sugar
    Decreased bone mineral density
    High blood pressure
    Easy bruising
    Muscle wasting and weakness of arms and legs
    Reddish purple streaks on skin

^ i'm not saying you have that, just saying that sometimes it's actually more helpful to de-stress, relax, and rest appropriately.
  • zfitgal
    Options

I was feeling like crap all the time (depression, anxiety, low mood and energy), i started having hair loss, face swelling, and problems with my period, etc. Went in for a blood test and i had high cortisol and it impacted the hormones made by my pituitary gland (prolactin). It was a mess.

Anyways, taking adequate rest time and lowering stress in general solved the issue (along with a short period of a medication called cabergoline).

http://universityhealthnews.com/daily/depression/how-to-recognize-high-cortisol-symptoms/
    symptoms of high cortisol:
    Depression
    Fatigue
    Weight gain, especially in the face, upper back (“buffalo hump”), and torso
    Obesity, especially abdominal obesity/central obesity
    Back pain
    Thin skin
    Decreased concentration
    Swelling in the hands and feet
    Low libido
    Acne
    Impaired memory (especially short term)
    Female facial hair or female balding
    Insomnia
    Poor skin healing
    Irritability
    Menstrual abnormalities
    Blood sugar dysregulation/high blood sugar
    Decreased bone mineral density
    High blood pressure
    Easy bruising
    Muscle wasting and weakness of arms and legs
    Reddish purple streaks on skin

^ i'm not saying you have that, just saying that sometimes it's actually more helpful to de-stress, relax, and rest appropriately.

wow! That's awful! I went through a really bad divorce last year, that's when my weight gain came out of no where. I def don't have any of those symptoms...But I was stressed and had high anxiety going through it.

I'm really glad you got it under control
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    I have a decent amount of muscle, I train heavy...but I just want the scale to move down, I have been lifting for years, this year I started lifting heavier and supersetting my sets until burnout...my muscles are definitely bigger...

Frankly with the lifting you've described, if all is accurate, I'd say the scale not budging and muscles bigger is an awesome win. Thats a balance I'd love to stay in for a long period, referred to as "recomposition" by weight lifters.

Two big points here: Your muscles can be storing more glycogen, which binds to lots of water and this can produce a situation where you are actually losing fat, but not seeing any change in weight since the muscles are better "supplied" in response to the demands you are putting on them.

Next EVERYONE has logging errors, found in all studies of this, even of nutritionists self logging, so weigh things instead of do tbsp/cup/teaspoon measures, dont lick the cooking spoons or take a bite of the kid's plate to encourage him, etc.

Even especially weigh the packaged portions: take this "VitaTops" product you log for example, if you take it out and weigh it does its weight match the amount of grams listed on the package? Sometimes there is a huge difference between what is listed on the package and reality. One of my recent awakenings is Trader Joe's Crunchy curls potato snacks. I really like the taste and only 130 calories for 31 curls!!! I thought this was awesome, and so many to snack on for so little calories. However one day I was snacking waiting to go have dinner and really hungry, nobody else was around so I was the only one taking from the bag. I went ahead and had the 31 curls, then another 31 and then thought "thats funny, the bag is almost empty, maybe just one of the portions left I just ate 2 of". I read the bag and it says ABOUT 6 servings. So, 31 curls is actually around 1/3, not 1/6 the bag and I was eating at least 2x the calories I thought I was...oops. How many other products have these HUGE "oops" factors? Probably a whole lot....If I had weighed the grams of a portion, I could have seen this easier.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    dpg2503 wrote: »
    and i can't drop my calories lower for the activity I do :(
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I have a decent amount of muscle, I train heavy...but I just want the scale to move down, I have been lifting for years, this year I started lifting heavier and supersetting my sets until burnout...my muscles are definitely bigger...

Your muscles can get more defined but you can't get havier (or stay the same weight) as a result if you are eating at a deficit because the extra weight has to come from somewhere. There is no magic involved and the only place extra weight can come from in either form, muscle or fat, is food. You have to be eating at maintenance if you are not losing.

Not true. Sorry.

Yes the weight has to come off from somewhere. However, muscle gain will only occur if enough protein is consumed. If someone goes on a stripping diet ( burning fat but eating loads of protein) they can still put muscle mass on and lose fat. I've worked with many body builders and they've lost pounds, yet gained mucsle.

To the person posting. If you increased your exercise, you may of gained some muscle mass, but lost some fat mass. This can cause it to look like you've not succeeded as you'd hoped. Also if your female, it's scientifically ( and just plain old true to all females, it's the men that need the science) proven that we gain pounds days leading up to our periods, and often during. So I don't even bother to weigh myself until it's 3 days post period end!

She lowered her calories 2 weeks ago so no it's not muscle gains

Yup, it still can happen, despite the MFP myth you cannot gain muscle while on a deficit. Especially if her muscle measurements and lifts are going up, and if she had done more training and/or had more strength in the past. Its most likely though, or lets say the higher percentage of the change would probably be that muscles are storing more glycogen+ water and some fat loss is going on, leading to a net zero scale movement, but actual progress is happening. That is, *if* everything is accurate...which is a huge assumption since every time a study investigates this, people are off, by a lot.

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options

Your muscles can get more defined but you can't get havier (or stay the same weight) as a result if you are eating at a deficit because the extra weight has to come from somewhere. There is no magic involved and the only place extra weight can come from in either form, muscle or fat, is food. You have to be eating at maintenance if you are not losing.

Not true. Sorry.

Yes the weight has to come off from somewhere. However, muscle gain will only occur if enough protein is consumed. If someone goes on a stripping diet ( burning fat but eating loads of protein) they can still put muscle mass on and lose fat. I've worked with many body builders and they've lost pounds, yet gained mucsle.

To the person posting. If you increased your exercise, you may of gained some muscle mass, but lost some fat mass. This can cause it to look like you've not succeeded as you'd hoped. Also if your female, it's scientifically ( and just plain old true to all females, it's the men that need the science) proven that we gain pounds days leading up to our periods, and often during. So I don't even bother to weigh myself until it's 3 days post period end!

Yup, it still can happen, despite the MFP myth you cannot gain muscle while on a deficit. Especially if her muscle measurements and lifts are going up, and if she had done more training and/or had more strength in the past. Its most likely though, or lets say the higher percentage of the change would probably be that muscles are storing more glycogen+ water and some fat loss is going on, leading to a net zero scale movement, but actual progress is happening. That is, *if* everything is accurate...which is a huge assumption since every time a study investigates this, people are off, by a lot.

I believe it is possible for a beginner to strength training to gain a limited amount of muscle mass on a deficit if they are significantly overweight, but it will not lead to a net gain in body mass, as to gain a certain weight in muscle you would have to burn a somewhat similar weight of fat in order to supply the calories needed.

Yes, I know a pound of muscle burned yields fewer calories than a pound of fat, but these processes are not perfectly efficient - it takes more calories to build tissue than you get back when you break it down. You might not burn fully 3500 calories to build a pound of muscle, but it won't be far off.

Add to that the fact that, if you are in a deficit, you are steadily burning your fat stores just by existing, so over time you will still see a weight loss, even if you are also seeing beginner muscle gains. The only way you would fail to see a loss after more than 4-6 weeks would be if you were not, in fact, in a deficit.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I try to do cardio every day. Well, at least 6 days a week unless I am having a super busy week. So that means that I do it on the same days as I do weights.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've been doing mfp for 2 weeks now, measuring EVERYTHING by the gram, and i mean evetythibg!! I went from eating 1800-2000 to 1550 and i lost nothing!!! I don't understand!!! I should have lost some thing from that drop in calories...how am I ever going to get to my goal??? I can't lose 1 pound! I have been in the same place for 10 months..

It's only been two weeks. Try to be patient. :)

Also, you are in a normal weight range and want to lose...what...ten pounds? That will take awhile. You should have your goals set for a half pound a week, and you need to expect slow weight loss.

Patience and persistence, and it will happen.

I like the idea about tracking weight trends in apps too.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Not true. Sorry.

It's been 2 weeks.....
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options

Speaking of cortisol:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/dietary-restraint-and-cortisol-levels-research-review.html/

...a group of women who scored higher on dietary restraint scores showed elevated baseline cortisol levels. By itself this might not be problematic, but as often as not, these types of dieters are drawn to extreme approaches to dieting.

They throw in a lot of intense exercise, try to cut calories very hard (and this often backfires if disinhibition is high; when these folks break they break) and cortisol levels go through the roof. That often causes cortisol mediated water retention (there are other mechanisms for this, mind you, leptin actually inhibits cortisol release and as it drops on a diet, cortisol levels go up further). Weight and fat loss appear to have stopped or at least slowed significantly. This is compounded even further in female dieters due to the vagaries of their menstrual cycle where water balance is changing enormously week to week anyhow.

And invariably, this type of psychology responds to the stall by going even harder. They attempt to cut calories harder, they start doing more activity. The cycle continues and gets worse. Harder dieting means more cortisol means more water retention means more dieting. Which backfires (other problems come in the long-term with this approach but you’ll have to wait for the book to read about that).

When what they should do is take a day or two off (even one day off from training, at least in men, let’s cortisol drop significantly). Raise calories, especially from carbohydrates. This helps cortisol to drop. More than that they need to find a way to freaking chill out. Meditation, yoga, get a massage... Get in the bath, candles, a little Enya, a glass of wine, have some you-time but please just chill.