Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Detox/Cleanse

Options
JONZ64
JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
Been hearing lots of folks at work and on FB start into the "latest" Detox/Cleanse, so I thought I would share this on here as a preventative measure. Full Disclosure : I stole this from another MFP member a few years ago and I have posted it a few times and will continue to do so as long as I still see "Magic Pill" posts.

The body’s own detox system
We tend to forget that the body is equipped with a detoxification system of its own, which includes the following:

The skin. The main function of the body’s largest organ is to provide a barrier against harmful substances, from bacteria and viruses to heavy metals and chemical toxins.

The respiratory system. Fine hairs inside the nose trap dirt and other large particles that may be inhaled. Smaller particles that make it to the lungs are expelled from the airways in mucus.

The immune system. This exquisitely orchestrated network of cells and molecules is designed to recognize foreign substances and eliminate them from the body.

The intestines. Peyer’s patches — lymph nodes in the small intestine — screen out parasites and other foreign substances before nutrients are absorbed into the blood from the colon.

The liver. Acting as the body’s principal filter, the liver produces a family of proteins called metallothioneins. Metallothioneins neutralize harmful metals like lead, cadmium, and mercury to prepare for their elimination from the body. Liver cells also produce groups of enzymes that regulate the metabolism of drugs and are an important part of the body’s defense against harmful chemicals and other toxins.

The kidneys. The fact that urine tests are used to screen for drugs and toxins is a testament to the kidneys' remarkable efficiency in filtering out waste substances and moving them out of the body

Replies

• Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I think the detox/cleanse things are just snake oil....a waste of money. Its no coincidence that these detox/cleanse regimes include not consuming toxins (fast food, alcohol, caffeine, etc). All it does is sell you the idea that some special tea or colon cleansing herb is doing the detox when actually it's the pause in consuming toxins and allowing your body's natural systems to catch up that is doing all the work.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    72-hour water fast is the only "cleanse" with any real scientific validation AFAIK. Dramatically increases autophagy, particularly of older/weaker cells, and produces an enormous increase in GH levels for a period of days after reintroducing food.
  • Macy9336
    Options
    72-hour water fast is the only "cleanse" with any real scientific validation AFAIK. Dramatically increases autophagy, particularly of older/weaker cells, and produces an enormous increase in GH levels for a period of days after reintroducing food.

It's funny you mention that because Ghandi used to do 72hr water only fasts quite regularly. I think I read that he'd only allow a piece of lemon in the water once a day as a treat.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I want to buy some cinnamon tea today and the amount of detox teas that are now available are ridiculous.

• JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    I think the detox/cleanse things are just snake oil....a waste of money. Its no coincidence that these detox/cleanse regimes include not consuming toxins (fast food, alcohol, caffeine, etc). All it does is sell you the idea that some special tea or colon cleansing herb is doing the detox when actually it's the pause in consuming toxins and allowing your body's natural systems to catch up that is doing all the work.

While I agree with you that detox/cleanses are a waste of money scam... I'm curious at your comment seeming to indicate that fast food, alcohol, and caffeine are toxins. What specifically is toxic about these substances?

I'm curious as well, I have posted this several times and I get the usual "love it or hate it" responses, but recently I have been getting the "certain toxins in fast food or processed foods..." responses and don't know why they would be different and the point of most of these snake oil sales pitches are to tell us they get rid of the waste buildup or toxin buildup but the natural filters in our systems don't allow this as long as they are working well and if not a "cleanse" will not fix that.
  • Macy9336
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

While I agree with you that detox/cleanses are a waste of money scam... I'm curious at your comment seeming to indicate that fast food, alcohol, and caffeine are toxins. What specifically is toxic about these substances?

Are you seriously asking this? Alcohol is highly toxic and a carcinogen. Caffeine is an addictive chemical. Both alcohol and caffeine are mood altering drugs. Fast food is full of random artificial chemicals which are also toxins...preservatives, flavourings, dyes, trans fats, etc.

If they were toxic, they would not be sold as edible products. Your "definition" of toxic is incorrect.

ju4k2dm7y1q4.jpg

Then why do they say that someone who is drunk, is "intoxicated"? Alcohol is a toxin. You drink enough, it can kill you. The buzz and drunkeness are just your body fighting off the toxicity of alcohol.
  • Macy9336
    Options
    As far as fast food goes...there are lots of issues... sodium nitrates which are linked to cancer, multiple dyes also linked to cancer, trans fats like palm oil that clog your arteries, peroxides for bleaching that cause allergies, BHA and BHT preservatives linked to cancer, anti fungals that use benzene which damage your thyroid..the list goes on and on. Most natural non processed food do not have toxins to the same level of exposure.
  • Macy9336
    Options
    Finally caffeine...too much and your heart stops. Also a toxin. Worst that happens if you overdose on apples is a stomach ache and a case of the runs.