Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Detox/Cleanse

Options

Replies

• Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Well they do say ignorance is bliss. Enjoy your toxins :)!
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I think the detox/cleanse things are just snake oil....a waste of money. Its no coincidence that these detox/cleanse regimes include not consuming toxins (fast food, alcohol, caffeine, etc). All it does is sell you the idea that some special tea or colon cleansing herb is doing the detox when actually it's the pause in consuming toxins and allowing your body's natural systems to catch up that is doing all the work.

While I agree with you that detox/cleanses are a waste of money scam... I'm curious at your comment seeming to indicate that fast food, alcohol, and caffeine are toxins. What specifically is toxic about these substances?

Are you seriously asking this? Alcohol is highly toxic and a carcinogen. Caffeine is an addictive chemical. Both alcohol and caffeine are mood altering drugs. Fast food is full of random artificial chemicals which are also toxins...preservatives, flavourings, dyes, trans fats, etc.

Natural, non-processed foods are full of chemicals which are also toxins. Should I not eat an apple because cyanide?

First time I've ever seen anyone argue that alcohol is no more toxic than an apple........beggars belief. Besides the trace cyanide is in the apple seeds which hardly anyone actually eats..I certainly don't eat apple seeds.

The point is that your body has every thing it needs to "cleanse" any "toxins" you may ingest. You do not need to drink a tea, or swallow a pill, or stick something to the bottom of your feet for this to happen. If your body was not doing it, you would be in immediate need of a doctor, not a tea.

Why are you preaching to the choir? I distinctly remember calling these products "snake oil" and a waste of money.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I think the detox/cleanse things are just snake oil....a waste of money. Its no coincidence that these detox/cleanse regimes include not consuming toxins (fast food, alcohol, caffeine, etc). All it does is sell you the idea that some special tea or colon cleansing herb is doing the detox when actually it's the pause in consuming toxins and allowing your body's natural systems to catch up that is doing all the work.

While I agree with you that detox/cleanses are a waste of money scam... I'm curious at your comment seeming to indicate that fast food, alcohol, and caffeine are toxins. What specifically is toxic about these substances?

Are you seriously asking this? Alcohol is highly toxic and a carcinogen. Caffeine is an addictive chemical. Both alcohol and caffeine are mood altering drugs. Fast food is full of random artificial chemicals which are also toxins...preservatives, flavourings, dyes, trans fats, etc.

If they were toxic, they would not be sold as edible products. Your "definition" of toxic is incorrect.

ju4k2dm7y1q4.jpg

Then why do they say that someone who is drunk, is "intoxicated"? Alcohol is a toxin. You drink enough, it can kill you. The buzz and drunkeness are just your body fighting off the toxicity of alcohol.

And your liver does its job of detoxifying...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Caffeine naturally occurs in a range of plants. Cyanide naturally occurs in a range of plants. I've rarely seen someone argue that apples or almonds are bad and filled with toxins.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I believe in them,,, they work.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Caffeine naturally occurs in a range of plants. Cyanide naturally occurs in a range of plants. I've rarely seen someone argue that apples or almonds are bad and filled with toxins.

Well, make the mistake of eating bitter almonds and you're in big trouble pretty quickly. Lovely domesticated almonds would take about 2kg though. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the taste difference between those is pretty obvious...
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

No, they don't.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    i guess you maybe drank the other koolaid on this one. there are a lot of flavors to choose from.

:D:D:D
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

No, they don't.

I was hoping @KANGOOJUMPS was being sarcastic. :/