Are Squat Butts Real??

First... excuse the ignorance.

Okay! So lifting won't make women "bulky" because they don't have the testosterone to build large muscles. (Basically.)

But I'm cruising around Instagram and YouTube and so many girls have large bums which they claim are caused by their squats and bridge lifts. Lifting heavy.

So which is it? Can women build large muscles or can't they?

Personally... I'd love to have a nice large bum and small arms and calves. I'm hoping I'll get some good news in this thread.

Replies

0831227 Posts: 84 Member
    Hey, I'm not a professional and I usually train every other day at the gym (average working out rookie). I started doing squats (3 x 20 rep with 10kg, then over time I switched 2 x 25 with 20 kg). I am a very curvy woman (measurements are 39-26-40 inches) so my butt has always been quite big BUT while it did not get bigger or rounder, I DEFINITELY saw a hugeeeeee difference on my cellulite. Now the behind of my thighs and my butt is firmer and smoother, the skin looks also better.
  • dpg2503
    dpg2503 Posts: 20 Member
    Oh yes, we can build if u eat like a mad protein obsessed builder.... But ( no pun intended) anything to work your *kitten* will make it rounder, firmer, and reduce fat. Don't lift to heavy to start, trust me you don't want to injure yourself....
  • StephAStephan
    StephAStephan Posts: 22 Member
    On this thought... How can I tone up the booty without knee-intensive activities?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2017
    IG/YouTube is full of people posting trying to be famous and/or selling a product. Much like one sees a model using a bowflex or aerobics DVD with muscular body, its just a form of marketing to sell products. Social media is full of bad information and followed by people that believe and follow them/it.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    You can build muscle if you do the right things to do so. Eat a surplus and lift. But, just lifting alone (without the calorie surplus) isn't going to turn anyone into Arnold.

Squats will firm up whatever glutes you have. But without the materials needed to build muscle (food!) it isn't going to happen. Or, at least not to any great degree beyond newbie gains.

I have always had a generous butt and it's gotten smaller through lifting at a deficit and now, maintenance. It looks better, though.

A lot of what you see on IG is manipulated. I can stand in a particular way to make my glutes look bigger and then there are photo angle distortions.

• Sumiblue
    I think women can expect to gain .5-1 lb of muscle per month if eating over maintenance and training consistently. But, you can't just gain in your glutes.

You can target working your glutes if you have something to work with. Everyone has glutes, of course, but some glutes are very underdeveloped.

Bret Conteras' Strong Curves is good.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Are "dumbbell biceps" real?

Over a very long time, yes.... Short term, meh!
  • Sumiblue
    Oh, but they would if they could!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Oh, but they would if they could!

i think most men worry more about calves. ;)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited March 2017
    11252419_1572580983016190_754592595_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=OTg2NDcyNzQ0NjIwNTUwMTU2.2

B7fpmHKIMAA6jhj.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
    10df311840b10cc3dbdd95c9ec7d8a06.jpg
    Mariza-Villarreal-Instagram-1.jpg

hmmm....
  • legsnbacon
    legsnbacon Posts: 122 Member
    this thread is useless without before and after pics
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Gondowolf wrote: »
    Plus looking from your pics,you mailny gain fat in the waist and butt area so if you lose weight the last few pounds will stay there and will help your butt look bigger if you build a good muscle foundation.

You really know how to charm a woman, don't you. ;)

My pride has clunked in and insisted I inform you that I actually have a proportionately small waist compared to the rest of me.

Back on topic!

From what I gather is women can gain large muscles naturally, but it would take a concerted effort of years.

I could be wrong but I think he meant to say it looks like you gain weight around the hips....