Losing weight without exercise

Options
13»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    mawebgeek wrote: »
    When I see that sweating on a treadmill for 30 minutes burns 500 calories and not eating a bacon, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich also eliminates 500 calories - for me, it's easier to skip the breakfast sandwich.

See for me, its easier to burn more rather than eat less.

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    While exercise is important, in the past 18 months it has been a matter of balancing priorities. I average about 6 hours of sleep a night. That is an increase over what I was averaging in recent months, so I've started doing some light, low impact cardio. But when I don't get enough sleep, I hit a wall and stop, and then binge to try to regain some energy. By not exercising I maintained better control of my appetite.

I doubt I will engage in intensive exercise until I have kids who sleep through the night--or at least stop waking me. 5.5-6 hours of broken sleep is awful.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    I keep seeing posts about people losing weight without exercise. Unless there is a medical reason why you can't....I don't understand why you wouldn't want to! It helps me to have less brain fog, less stress, muscle, stamina, better breathing...on and on and on!
    If you aren't exercising I encourage you to give it a try! A true go at it! Tell us how you feel after 30 days! My world has changed.

I started at 354! I feel amazing and am actually frustrated when I don't have a daily hard sweat and workout!

I've never understood why so many on these forums seem to argue against regular exercise. I even see it when people post asking for recommendation on what types of exercise to try. Multiple people will comment telling them how they don't need to work out. While it is true you don't need to work out to lose weight this site is called MyFitnessPal. When I joined it was to get healthier and fit, losing weight was only part of that.

If you really can't for some reason that's different and I understand some people physically aren't able.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    mawebgeek wrote: »
    When I see that sweating on a treadmill for 30 minutes burns 500 calories and not eating a bacon, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich also eliminates 500 calories - for me, it's easier to skip the breakfast sandwich.

Yes, it is easier to not eat a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich, but who said anything about what is easier? The OP appears to be talking about what is best, not what is easier. Even though people say their goal is to "lose weight" there are often some implied goals like "get healthier", "live longer", etc. that may not be achievable simply by losing weight.
    I keep seeing posts about people losing weight without exercise. Unless there is a medical reason why you can't....I don't understand why you wouldn't want to! It helps me to have less brain fog, less stress, muscle, stamina, better breathing...on and on and on!
    If you aren't exercising I encourage you to give it a try! A true go at it! Tell us how you feel after 30 days! My world has changed.

I started at 354! I feel amazing and am actually frustrated when I don't have a daily hard sweat and workout!
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    personal preference

end thread/

It seems to me that saying that exercise is personal preference is much like saying that how fat you are is a personal preference. While technically true, it makes no more sense to say that it is okay for a person not to exercise than it does to say that it is okay for a person to be overweight. Being overweight has health risks, but lack of exercise carries even greater health risks. It is true that a person can lose weight doing nothing but sitting on the couch and eating pizza, but that doesn't mean it is a good idea. Eating less will result in weight loss, but people would be better off if they would continue to eat the same while increasing their activity level.

But you're not the one who gets to dictate that. It is 100% their choice of how they live their life. No one put you in charge. Maybe their doctor or their loved ones can have a say but not you. Maybe they would be better off but maybe there are 100 factors that we don't know about that prevent them from exercise. Eyes on your own plate and on your own workout pants.

What do you mean by dictate? How is it different to tell someone that they should get physically fit than it is to tell them that they should weigh their food?

ndj1979 wrote: »
    personal preference

end thread/

It seems to me that saying that exercise is personal preference is much like saying that how fat you are is a personal preference. While technically true, it makes no more sense to say that it is okay for a person not to exercise than it does to say that it is okay for a person to be overweight. Being overweight has health risks, but lack of exercise carries even greater health risks. It is true that a person can lose weight doing nothing but sitting on the couch and eating pizza, but that doesn't mean it is a good idea. Eating less will result in weight loss, but people would be better off if they would continue to eat the same while increasing their activity level.

people who are overweight are a drain on the health system and cost a TON of money more than people who simply don't exercise.

You don't think people with osteoporosis are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with heart disease are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with a weakened immune system are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with cancer are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with cognitive problems are a drain on the health system? All of these are risk factors that are reduced with exercise.

What about other strains on public resources? Our roads are clogged with traffic. Our bridges are in need of repair. Our air is filled with pollution. All of these problems could be reduced if people would choose to walk or ride a bicycle for a few of the trips they make.

osteoporosis - not a choice made through diet

"heart disease are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with a weakened immune system are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with cancer are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with cognitive problems are a drain on the health system? "

all of those are severely heightened through obesity

"What about other strains on public resources? Our roads are clogged with traffic. Our bridges are in need of repair. Our air is filled with pollution. All of these problems could be reduced if people would choose to walk or ride a bicycle for a few of the trips they make."

strawman argument.

The things I mentioned are all things that are influenced more by exercise than they are by diet. You have probably heard of a condition commonly called "skinny fat." There's a more technical name for it but it is a condition in which a person is skinny but they have the indicators of health risks that a fat person is expected to have. These risks are reduce with proper exercise.

And no it isn't a strawman argument because I'm applying your argument to a different situation. Perhaps you don't like where your argument leads. You're welcome to change your argument if you like.

nah the second part of your post was completely a strawman

No, but the argument above is a classic example of a strawman argument. Perhaps without intending to, the person argued based on what was easier when the original claim concerned what is best. This provides a strawman that is easy to defeat since no one would disagree with the claim that it is easier to not eat a sandwich than to spend the equivalent time exercising. But what it doesn't do is say anything about what is best.