Spring 2017 Dog Walking Challenge

Options

Replies

• Lusitatissimum
    Lusitatissimum Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ah it is indeed the start of allergies! I had lazy weekend of over eating and playing fetch instead of walking. New week though, so recomminting! We're going to shoot for a repeat of last week, hour and a half of walk time.
  • ThinManRuning
    ThinManRuning Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Last week I achieved: 12km with the dog including some before and after work walking/jogging. and I did a 17km trail run on Sunday morning. My new puppy is proving to be a great inspiration for exercise.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Last week I achieved: 12km with the dog including some before and after work walking/jogging. and I did a 17km trail run on Sunday morning. My new puppy is proving to be a great inspiration for exercise.

That's adorable! <3

My old dog has become a great inspiration for taking it easy on my rest day hikes. We stop and smell the roses (and other stuff) on our little old lady adventures. I notice cool things along the trail when I'm with her that I never see as I'm speeding by on my run days! ;)

umw6a4xtl8vj.jpg
  • CatL1911
    CatL1911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Klaus and I want to join!
  • CatL1911
    CatL1911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    CatL1911 wrote: »

So I did something wrong here - sorry - it didn't include our goals!

Walking Buddies: Cat and Klaus
    Weekly Goal: At least a mile a day plus a hike or beach run each week.

• jenilla1
    Options

So I did something wrong here - sorry - it didn't include our goals!

Walking Buddies: Cat and Klaus
    Weekly Goal: At least a mile a day plus a hike or beach run each week.

Now we have dogs AND "Cats" in our dog walking challenge! B)
  • jenilla1
    Options
    Walking Buddies: Jen and April (Apes) - golden retriever-standard poodle mix
    Weekly Goal: Hit the long trail once or twice a week plus regular walks.
    How long/far did you walk this week?: only 2 miles :s
    Successes: Family in town, so lots of get-togethers and play time for the pup. Swimming in the pool and running around with other dogs. Plenty of love to go around.
    Challenges: Not a lot of opportunities to hike this week, but at least there were activities to make up for that.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Wick and Artoo and Rose
    Goal: 5 miles per dog
    Total: 7 per dog
    Successes: We are in a great routine now, so I'm dragging less
    Challenges: it gets so hot so early that we have a hard time going for longer walks, going to try and get up earlier this week to help with that ( walks at 7am instead of 8am :smile: )

I didn't get any photos on our actual walks this week (though I got plenty of photos of them in general :wink: ) so everyone got a pass on that today!

Happy Monday everyone, hope you all have a great week.
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,785 Member
    Options
    We were out of town this weekend, so Roxie spent time with her 2 best furry buds. She was happily exhausted when we got home.
  • WickAndArtoo
    edited May 2017
    Options
    We have been doing a mile a day consistently, missed one day last week, but did double the next day.

Successes: met our goals and visited a brand new state park to hike a trail!

Challenges: it is so hot out!! Also very busy week... and my bigger dog is obsessed with chasing lizards :neutral:

• jenilla1
    Options
    Walking Buddies: Jen and April (Apes) - golden retriever-standard poodle mix
    Weekly Goal: Hit the long trail once or twice a week plus regular walks.
    How long/far did you walk this week?: Didn't catch the mileage because we just walked around the boring old neighborhood instead of the usual nature trails, but it was around 2 hours total, so going by old dog pace it was probably about 4.5-5 miles...
    Successes: Short, trimmed coat kept the pup cool in these warmer temps.
    Challenges: I could be taking her on more hikes, but I'm selfish and I want to go on my long trail runs, too. Can't take the dog on my runs because she's old and I don't want to kill her. I don't have the time or energy to do both all the time!
  • jm216
    Options
    Still consistently walking Roxie for 13 minutes twice a day. She's getting her Soring groom on Tuesday!
  • jm216
    Options
    Spring groom is what I meant.

Ready to walk your dog? Let's go!
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    Walking buddies: Wick Artoo and Rose

Weekly goal: I can't remember (I
    This is probably why I'm so bad at sticking to things lol)

How far this week: about one mile a day for each dog... yesterday we did 3.12 miles :smile: had a couple of tired dogs!

Successes: We went to the vet for our annual heartworm test and they were both negative, and Wick has lost 2 pounds (and needs to lose 10 total so we are very excited about this!)

Challenges: I have been waking up late, so it's too hot to go farther than a mile- hoping to get on a better schedule this week.

• jm216
    Options
    They're so cute!!
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    jm216 wrote: »
    They're so cute!!

If you were talking about my dorks, thank you :smile:
  • jenilla1
    Options
    Missed out on the challenge this past weekend since I was up in the mountains for my birthday weekend. I left my dog with my sister because I couldn't bring her to the place I was staying. When I came back to pick her up, the back gate was unlatched and she had gotten out. YIKES!!! :o (My sister was at work and didn't know she'd gotten loose.)

I thought it was the end, but after hiking around a bit, I found her a few blocks away exploring in a field. Who knows where she'd been or how long she'd been out... It looked like she was on her way back, though. She was damp, like she'd had a swim, too. So I guess my dog decided to go and do the challenge without me...Here she is all tuckered out after her big adventure:

6avbk0io5qcm.jpg
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    At least once a day. About 10 miles a week. My wife takes them another 15 miles a week, I'd imagine. They would go another 25 a week if the people could manage it!
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Missed out on the challenge this past weekend since I was up in the mountains for my birthday weekend. I left my dog with my sister because I couldn't bring her to the place I was staying. When I came back to pick her up, the back gate was unlatched and she had gotten out. YIKES!!! :o (My sister was at work and didn't know she'd gotten loose.)

I thought it was the end, but after hiking around a bit, I found her a few blocks away exploring in a field. Who knows where she'd been or how long she'd been out... It looked like she was on her way back, though. She was damp, like she'd had a swim, too. So I guess my dog decided to go and do the challenge without me...Here she is all tuckered out after her big adventure:

6avbk0io5qcm.jpg

I am SO GLAD she is okay and home safe! This is our worse nightmare. You must be so relieved, she is probably so tired! I can't tell you how happy I am that she got home safe and sound.
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options

We managed 12 miles this week!

Challenges: We saw a mama black bear and her three cubs, which freaked me out and now I'm a little nervous hiking haha

Successes: We visited another State park in the area that is HUGE and shady and SO GREEN. This place has so many places to explore, so even though it's a little further away we can't wait to go back and see all the nooks and crannies. I have a feeling that our mileage will be going up from now on!