Fitness and Nutrition Q & A

Options
Hi. About a year ago, I offered to answer people's fitness related questions on here and it turned out pretty well, so I decided to go for it again. If you have any fitness, nutrition, or gym related questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them for you. Also, if you have questions about exercise technique, feel free to post a video of you doing the exercise and I'll do my best to help you out. The more specific the question the better.

If you want to check out the previous discussion, here is the link:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10376020/ask-a-personal-trainer-gym-owner/p1

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Competitive Nordic skiers are the fittest people on earth. How do you measure VO2max for Nordic skiing?
  • JonDrees
    JonDrees Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Competitive Nordic skiers are the fittest people on earth. How do you measure VO2max for Nordic skiing?

I suppose unless you had access to a lab with a specially designed treadmill, you would have to test it the same way anyone else would.
  • fredgonzini
    fredgonzini Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm using pre-workout and creatine to try to put on muscle but lately during cardio I'm cramping up is it because of the pre-workout and creatine or is it something else.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Where are you cramping up?
  • fredgonzini
    Options
    Spinning class to night. My calf's to night.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Why do I sometimes get a post-workout fever? Sometimes I even get flu-like symptoms too. It can last a few hours to about a day after. I am hydrating before, during and after the workout and always eating afterwards. It doesn't even matter what the temperature is either. I get it if I go running in cold weather as well as warm weather. I always change out of sweaty clothes immediately after working out. It will usually subside if I take an nsaid but I hate taking pills and would rather find a way to avoid the fever to begin with.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Spinning class to night. My calf's to night.

I have this happen sometimes. Maybe an electrolyte issue. You may want to try eating a banana about 20 to 30 min prior to working out and/or adding an intra-workout supplement powder to your water. I've been using MuscleTech's Monster Amino, which seems to do the job, but there may be a less expensive alternative. Hope this helps.

There will probably be a few nay sayers about this approach, but I'm an experimentalist at heart, so I would try it and it will either work or it won't. Easier to try it and see rather than practice all of the mental *kitten* that some on this site seem to like. LOL
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    JonDrees wrote: »
    Hi. About a year ago, I offered to answer people's fitness related questions on here and it turned out pretty well, so I decided to go for it again. If you have any fitness, nutrition, or gym related questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them for you. Also, if you have questions about exercise technique, feel free to post a video of you doing the exercise and I'll do my best to help you out. The more specific the question the better.

If you want to check out the previous discussion, here is the link:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10376020/ask-a-personal-trainer-gym-owner/p1

whats the best way to fuel a HM?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

In Norwegian?

:laugh:
  • JonDrees
    Options
    I'm using pre-workout and creatine to try to put on muscle but lately during cardio I'm cramping up is it because of the pre-workout and creatine or is it something else.

It might be unrelated to both of your supplements. I don't think anything in the pre-workout would cause cramping. The creatine could have a small effect, but most likely you are just not drinking enough water.

I want to say I saw a stat that said 90%+ of all muscle cramps are a result of simple dehydration.
  • JonDrees
    Options
    Why do I sometimes get a post-workout fever? Sometimes I even get flu-like symptoms too. It can last a few hours to about a day after. I am hydrating before, during and after the workout and always eating afterwards. It doesn't even matter what the temperature is either. I get it if I go running in cold weather as well as warm weather. I always change out of sweaty clothes immediately after working out. It will usually subside if I take an nsaid but I hate taking pills and would rather find a way to avoid the fever to begin with.

Are you actually getting a fever or just feeling hot? I have people that get hot/nauseous, but nothing like what you are describing. I wouldn't be able to help you with that one, sorry. I recommend talking to your doctor about it.
  • JonDrees
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

First of all neither of those make you put on muscle. Proper stimulus and a caloric surplus are how you achieve muscular hypertrophy

There's no reason to insult the guy. There have been dozen, if not hundreds, of studies that have shown the benefits of creatine.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    1) I see many comments about making sure the bar is the proper height off the floor before beginning a regular DL, but I've never seen how far off it's supposed to be. I use a 5ft bar, 1 inch diameter, with the largest diameter plate 25#. How far off the ground should the bar be?

2) Is there a meaningful training difference between using a 6 ft vs 5ft bar as long as the bar supports the weight and it's not hundreds of pounds?

Thanks!
  • fredgonzini
    Options
    400 days log went from 309 to 228lbs I am 5'11" stared lifting 6 months ago. I want to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. I have made good gains in muscle. Down to 21% body fat. Just the hand hold type of fat calculation. Hate my side boobs. Any thoughts open to advise. Love long bike rides thinking about a triathlon
  • JonDrees
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    1) I see many comments about making sure the bar is the proper height off the floor before beginning a regular DL, but I've never seen how far off it's supposed to be. I use a 5ft bar, 1 inch diameter, with the largest diameter plate 25#. How far off the ground should the bar be?

2) Is there a meaningful training difference between using a 6 ft vs 5ft bar as long as the bar supports the weight and it's not hundreds of pounds?

Thanks!

1. Unless you are a competitive powerlifter, there really isn't a "proper height." However, the standard height would be that of a 45lb plate. If you are using less than that, you might want to put a small box or a couple plate underneath the 25lb plates, to bring up the bar a little. With that said, there isn't anything wrong or bad about going lower than that (as long as the form is good).

3. For your purpose, there is no difference. They are probably different weights though.

Hope that answers your questions.