• JonDrees
    JonDrees Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    _Bro wrote: »
    et998vwkxjb6.jpg

1qlw2j5tidt0.jpg

6z345bfih4oh.jpg

mdo4b0pt8p7x.jpg

Haha, I would say those are pretty accurate.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    JonDrees wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    1) I see many comments about making sure the bar is the proper height off the floor before beginning a regular DL, but I've never seen how far off it's supposed to be. I use a 5ft bar, 1 inch diameter, with the largest diameter plate 25#. How far off the ground should the bar be?

2) Is there a meaningful training difference between using a 6 ft vs 5ft bar as long as the bar supports the weight and it's not hundreds of pounds?

Thanks!

1. Unless you are a competitive powerlifter, there really isn't a "proper height." However, the standard height would be that of a 45lb plate. If you are using less than that, you might want to put a small box or a couple plate underneath the 25lb plates, to bring up the bar a little. With that said, there isn't anything wrong or bad about going lower than that (as long as the form is good).

3. For your purpose, there is no difference. They are probably different weights though.

Hope that answers your questions.

Thank you. How high is the bar at a standard height of a 45 lb plate? (inches?)
  • JonDrees
    Options
    1) I see many comments about making sure the bar is the proper height off the floor before beginning a regular DL, but I've never seen how far off it's supposed to be. I use a 5ft bar, 1 inch diameter, with the largest diameter plate 25#. How far off the ground should the bar be?

2) Is there a meaningful training difference between using a 6 ft vs 5ft bar as long as the bar supports the weight and it's not hundreds of pounds?

Thanks!

1. Unless you are a competitive powerlifter, there really isn't a "proper height." However, the standard height would be that of a 45lb plate. If you are using less than that, you might want to put a small box or a couple plate underneath the 25lb plates, to bring up the bar a little. With that said, there isn't anything wrong or bad about going lower than that (as long as the form is good).

3. For your purpose, there is no difference. They are probably different weights though.

Hope that answers your questions.

Thank you. How high is the bar at a standard height of a 45 lb plate? (inches?)

Google says 8.75 inches.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What's an appropriate training plan structure for a 50km trail race with a marathon the following morning?
  • JonDrees
    Options
    400 days log went from 309 to 228lbs I am 5'11" stared lifting 6 months ago. I want to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. I have made good gains in muscle. Down to 21% body fat. Just the hand hold type of fat calculation. Hate my side boobs. Any thoughts open to advise. Love long bike rides thinking about a triathlon

Seems like you're doing well so far. I'd just keep doing a combo of resistance training and cardio, and keep eating under your TDEE.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    42F, 5'4", and after losing 30+ lbs, I've maintained 120 lbs +/-5 for 1.5 yrs on 1700-1900 calories. In the last 2 yrs, I've mainly done cardio (hiking, cycling) and no serious resistance training. I have apple shape genetics so my lower body looks good, hips 34in., but my upper body needs help - arms need to lose 0.75-1 in. to look really defined, and abs 1.5-2 inches off for proper abs. With muscle growth and fat loss, I expect to drop to 115 lbs to achieve this toned look.

My 4 questions are:

1. If I start a well planned, balls to the wall, 5x/week bodyweight training program (no gym) and continue with my hiking and cycling, is 3 months a reasonable time frame to achieve those goals and have a more "toned" look, assuming high motivation and plenty of time to exercise and recover?
    ps: The training will use bodyweight, TRX, dumbells, pullup bar, bands, med balls, beachbody dvds etc. No barbells.
    2. I've read that women only need a 125 calorie surplus to build a realistic 0.5-1 lb of muscle per month. Do you agree? If not, how much is required?
    3. Someone suggested bulking and cutting but I think that's rubbish and unnecessary given I'm happy with my current size and don't want/need to gain unnecessary fat that I then have to lose again. I just need some body recomposition. What d'you think?
    4. What pointers can you give me to achieve my goals in the 3 month time frame.

Thanks.
  • JonDrees
    Options
    What's an appropriate training plan structure for a 50km trail race with a marathon the following morning?

I'm assuming this is a trolling attempt, but if serious, I would do a lot praying and drink lots of red bull.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

I'm assuming this is a trolling attempt, but if serious, I would do a lot praying and drink lots of red bull.

Nope, I've got one of those weekends in September. Curious to hear what you think.
  • JonDrees
    Options
    42F, 5'4", and after losing 30+ lbs, I've maintained 120 lbs +/-5 for 1.5 yrs on 1700-1900 calories. In the last 2 yrs, I've mainly done cardio (hiking, cycling) and no serious resistance training. I have apple shape genetics so my lower body looks good, hips 34in., but my upper body needs help - arms need to lose 0.75-1 in. to look really defined, and abs 1.5-2 inches off for proper abs. With muscle growth and fat loss, I expect to drop to 115 lbs to achieve this toned look.

My 4 questions are:

1. If I start a well planned, balls to the wall, 5x/week bodyweight training program (no gym) and continue with my hiking and cycling, is 3 months a reasonable time frame to achieve those goals and have a more "toned" look, assuming high motivation and plenty of time to exercise and recover?
    ps: The training will use bodyweight, TRX, dumbells, pullup bar, bands, med balls, beachbody dvds etc. No barbells.
    2. I've read that women only need a 125 calorie surplus to build a realistic 0.5-1 lb of muscle per month. Do you agree? If not, how much is required?
    3. Someone suggested bulking and cutting but I think that's rubbish and unnecessary given I'm happy with my current size and don't want/need to gain unnecessary fat that I then have to lose again. I just need some body recomposition. What d'you think?

Thanks.

1. That might be pushing it a little, especially if you're trying to put on some muscle at the same time. 2-4lb of weight loss is realistic and sustainable for most people. Anything more than that usually results in the rebound effect or a loss of a lot of muscle.
    2. I think that number is a little low. I would probably recommend 250kcal and adjust from there.
    3. Yeah, I would probably go for the recomp route with your current stats.
    4. You'll have to be close to 100% on you nutrition if you want to achieve that goal in 3 month. If you're highly motivated it's possible, but I know that would be to much for a lot of people.

Hope that helps.
  • Traveler120
    edited March 2017
    Options

My 4 questions are:

Thanks.

1. That might be pushing it a little, especially if you're trying to put on some muscle at the same time. 2-4lb of weight loss is realistic and sustainable for most people. Anything more than that usually results in the rebound effect or a loss of a lot of muscle.
    2. I think that number is a little low. I would probably recommend 250kcal and adjust from there.
    4. You'll have to be close to 100% on you nutrition if you want to achieve that goal in 3 month. If you're highly motivated it's possible, but I know that would be to much for a lot of people.

Hope that helps.

Yes it helps, thanks. Regarding surplus for muscle growth, I got that 125 calorie figure from >http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/how-many-calories-to-build-muscle-or-gain-weight/
    and 250 is for men.

Since my current maintenance is 1700-1900, the 125 is so small that it's within the margin of error and I don't want to start weighing my food on a scale. That's too obsessive. Plus, TDEE is an estimate. And even at the high end of female muscle growth rate of 1 lb/month is so small, it's unmeasurable.

Q - So given all that, instead of risking eating too much, wouldn't it be smarter to just use my performance as an indicator of muscle growth and a measuring tape to measure fat loss? If I'm able to do more reps/volume/weight over time on all my exercises, wouldn't that be the best way to know if I'm gaining muscle while I keep my intake at roughly the same 1700-1900?
  • JonDrees
    Options
    Hi. About a year ago, I offered to answer people's fitness related questions on here and it turned out pretty well, so I decided to go for it again. If you have any fitness, nutrition, or gym related questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them for you. Also, if you have questions about exercise technique, feel free to post a video of you doing the exercise and I'll do my best to help you out. The more specific the question the better.

If you want to check out the previous discussion, here is the link:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10376020/ask-a-personal-trainer-gym-owner/p1

whats the best way to fuel a HM?

What's a HM?
  • Traveler120
    Options
    Half Marathon maybe?
  • JonDrees
    Options

Nope, I've got one of those weekends in September. Curious to hear what you think.

Well, that going to be a tough one. Which one is more important for you?
  • DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I need to know how to stay compliant with nutrition, training, sleep/rest, supplements and medications when life seems "crazy" because there is always too much to do and never enough time. I feel unwell, physically, a lot of the time - and I believe if I could finally get myself to be consistent I would feel better. I make myself feel unwell through my own inconsistent behavior- for example, forgetting necessary medications or making poor food choices because of time crunch.

Any tips or suggestions?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Well, that going to be a tough one. Which one is more important for you?

What's most important is finishing the double. If either was my A race I wouldn't be running the other.

Fwiw I'm intending on using a modified 50 Mile plan with lots of back to back longs, so July will be back to back 20s every weekend with 10s midweek.

There is an argument that a standard Marathon plan will be fine, as 50K isn't a significant increase over a full.

• JonDrees
    Options
    I need to know how to stay compliant with nutrition, training, sleep/rest, supplements and medications when life seems "crazy" because there is always too much to do and never enough time. I feel unwell, physically, a lot of the time - and I believe if I could finally get myself to be consistent I would feel better. I make myself feel unwell through my own inconsistent behavior- for example, forgetting necessary medications or making poor food choices because of time crunch.

Any tips or suggestions?

Sorry for the tough love, but if all those things were a priority you would be doing them. Lack of time is only an excuse to shift blame from yourself.

You need to plan ahead. Meal prep your breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Block out your training time on your schedule. Put down the phone and turn off the tv at night, so you can go to sleep. Everyone is busy, you just need to manage your time better.
  • JonDrees
    Options

My 4 questions are:

Thanks.

Hope that helps.

Yes it helps, thanks. Regarding surplus for muscle growth, I got that 125 calorie figure from >http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/how-many-calories-to-build-muscle-or-gain-weight/
    and 250 is for men.

Since my current maintenance is 1700-1900, the 125 is so small that it's within the margin of error and I don't want to start weighing my food on a scale. That's too obsessive. Plus, TDEE is an estimate. And even at the high end of female muscle growth rate of 1 lb/month is so small, it's unmeasurable.

Q - So given all that, instead of risking eating too much, wouldn't it be smarter to just use my performance as an indicator of muscle growth and a measuring tape to measure fat loss? If I'm able to do more reps/volume/weight over time on all my exercises, wouldn't that be the best way to know if I'm gaining muscle while I keep my intake at roughly the same 1700-1900?

Yes, that sounds reasonable. There is other factors associated with getting stronger, but muscle growth usually a part of that. Also, I always recommend using the mirror/tape measure to gauge progress, opposed to scale weight.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    No offence but your advice is far below the standard of advice I normally read on these boards.
  • Traveler120
    edited March 2017
    Options
    No offence but your advice is far below the standard of advice I normally read on these boards.

I disagree. I read his previous 9pg long Q&A that he linked on the first post and I thought he gave some solid advice. That's the only reason I bothered to ask his opinion. I asked similar questions on the forum this week and got some really bogus answers, some from people who themselves said were trainers.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I disagree. I read his previous 9pg long Q&A that he linked on the first post and I thought he gave some solid advice. That's the only reason I bothered to ask his opinion coz I asked similar questions this week and got some really bogus answers, some from people who themselves said were trainers.

Wow just wow. Those weren't bogus answers you got at all. You still believe you can lose 5 lbs and gain 5.5 lbs of muscle in 3-6 months on a 125 calorie surplus.