Fitness and Nutrition Q & A

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Strength gains don't necessarily mean muscle gains and it's not a good way to measure muscle gain. What happened to your DEXA scan?
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    No offence but your advice is far below the standard of advice I normally read on these boards.

I disagree. I read his previous 9pg long Q&A that he linked on the first post and I thought he gave some solid advice. That's the only reason I bothered to ask his opinion coz I asked similar questions this week and got some really bogus answers, some from people who themselves said were trainers.

Wow just wow. Those weren't bogus answers you got at all. You still believe you can lose 5 lbs and gain 5.5 lbs of muscle in 3-6 months on a 125 calorie surplus.
    Strength gains don't necessarily mean muscle gains and it's not a good way to measure muscle gain......

Please let's not derail this thread by rehashing old ones. I got the answers I wanted from @JonDrees and he seems to know what he's talking about.
    ... What happened to your DEXA scan?

I'm still shopping for one cheaper than the $90-125 I've found so far.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    No offence but your advice is far below the standard of advice I normally read on these boards.

I disagree. I read his previous 9pg long Q&A that he linked on the first post and I thought he gave some solid advice. That's the only reason I bothered to ask his opinion coz I asked similar questions this week and got some really bogus answers, some from people who themselves said were trainers.

Wow just wow. Those weren't bogus answers you got at all. You still believe you can lose 5 lbs and gain 5.5 lbs of muscle in 3-6 months on a 125 calorie surplus.
    Strength gains don't necessarily mean muscle gains and it's not a good way to measure muscle gain......

Please let's not derail this thread by rehashing old ones. I got the answers I wanted from @JonDrees and he seems to know what he's talking about.
    ... What happened to your DEXA scan?

I'm still shopping for one cheaper than the $90-125 I've found so far.

Except if you read what he said he didn't say anything that confirms your beliefs. He said:. That might be pushing it a little, especially if you're trying to put on some muscle at the same time.

How do you get yes you can gain 5.5 lbs of muscle and lose 5 lbs overall out of that?

Also how is his answer

There are other factors associated with getting stronger, but muscle growth usually a part of that

Different than pointing out there are tons of things involved in strength not just muscle gain?

• Iwanttolosemymummytummy
    Options
    I'm 23 weeks post pregnancy. I gained around 42 lbs and have lost 21 lbs up to 8 weeks ago, that was when I decided to take it really seriously and reduce calorie intake to 1630 a day(I can't reduce it further otherwise I'll starve to death :D ) I walk every day anyway and mostly do 14000 steps and above. I do home workouts 5 days a week - HIIT sessions and bodyweight. In 8 weeks I have noticed great inch loss but no lbs loss. Before I started exercising and eating less I was losing lbs.

Any thoughts as to why this is? Advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • JonDrees
    JonDrees Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 weeks post pregnancy. I gained around 42 lbs and have lost 21 lbs up to 8 weeks ago, that was when I decided to take it really seriously and reduce calorie intake to 1630 a day(I can't reduce it further otherwise I'll starve to death :D ) I walk every day anyway and mostly do 14000 steps and above. I do home workouts 5 days a week - HIIT sessions and bodyweight. In 8 weeks I have noticed great inch loss but no lbs loss. Before I started exercising and eating less I was losing lbs.

My guess it's a combination of water, glycogen, and muscle gain, which is off-setting your fat loss.
    Iwanttolosemymummytummy Posts: 82 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    JonDrees wrote: »

My guess it's a combination of water, glycogen, and muscle gain, which is off-setting your fat loss.

Question conserning glycogen...should I be decreasing my carb intake even though I rarely go over the "allowance" mfp has set for me. Will increasing my fluid intake make a difference?? Or just stick with it and ride it out.
    Thanks.
  • JonDrees
    Options

Question conserning glycogen...should I be decreasing my carb intake even though I rarely go over the "allowance" mfp has set for me. Will increasing my fluid intake make a difference?? Or just stick with it and ride it out.
    Thanks.

That's hard to say. Carbs are important for energy when you are training, so I wouldn't cut them too much. I personally set mine to 40%.

Water won't decrease your glycogen, but could potentially flush out some water around the cells - it all depends on fluid and mineral balance in your body.
  • JonDrees
    Options

Tell me how you really feel.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Losing inches is more important than scale weight. I wouldn't worry too much. Your body is still healing from having a baby.

Your calorie goal sounds low given your activity level, what are your stats?
    Options

Losing inches is more important than scale weight. I wouldn't worry too much. Your body is still healing from having a baby.

Yipee I can eat more????!!! *hopefull* :D:D

I'm 5'8" and weigh 175lbs. Before pregnancy I usually weighed 150 lbs or there about.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Tell me how you really feel.

I did.

I had high hopes that your advice would be great and in depth with you starting your own thread.

• TavistockToad
    Options

I'm 5'8" and weigh 175lbs. Before pregnancy I usually weighed 150 lbs or there about.

What settings did you use to get 1630?

You should be aiming for 1lb per week, set to light active?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Are you breast feeding?
    Options

"Not very active" settings and to lose 1lb per week. If I set to light active what difference will that make?
    Options

Are you breast feeding?

Not breastfeeding anymore, stopped at 4months-ish.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

"Not very active" settings and to lose 1lb per week. If I set to light active what difference will that make?

Sedentary?

The more active you are the more calories you burn.
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm in the U.K and sedentry is not listed. I chose "not very active" thinking it would allow me less calorie intake and easier to lose weight(?) I think it's safe to say that I don't understand which setting I should have it on.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I'm in the U.K and sedentry is not listed. I chose "not very active" thinking it would allow me less calorie intake? I think it's safe to say that I don't understand which setting I should have it on.

On MFP?
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm in the U.K and sedentry is not listed. I chose "not very active" thinking it would allow me less calorie intake? I think it's safe to say that I don't understand which setting I should have it on.

On MFP?

Yes. For activity level it has - not very active - lightly active - active - and very active to choose from.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

On MFP?

Yes. For activity settings it has - not very active - lightly active - active - and very active to choose from.

They must have changed it!

Go light active