Fitness and Nutrition Q & A

Options

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I'm in the U.K and sedentry is not listed. I chose "not very active" thinking it would allow me less calorie intake? I think it's safe to say that I don't understand which setting I should have it on.

On MFP?

Yes. For activity settings it has - not very active - lightly active - active - and very active to choose from.

Pick the one that best describes your activity level.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm in the U.K and sedentry is not listed. I chose "not very active" thinking it would allow me less calorie intake? I think it's safe to say that I don't understand which setting I should have it on.

On MFP?

Yes. For activity settings it has - not very active - lightly active - active - and very active to choose from.

If you go on a lap top etc it says sedentary. The app says Not very active. They mean the same thing.
  • Iwanttolosemymummytummy
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

On MFP?

Pick the one that best describes your activity level.

I'm a mum of four...there is no "doesn't friggin stop all day" setting to pick on it!! :D
    I will pick light active then.
    Options

On MFP?

They must have changed it!

Go light active

Ok. Done. Thanks.
    Options

On MFP?

If you go on a lap top etc it says sedentary. The app says Not very active. They mean the same thing.

Thanks.
  • JonDrees
    JonDrees Posts: 161 Member
    Options

On MFP?

Thanks.

You are probably better off using a TDEE calculator like this one https://tdeecalculator.net/ and only using MFP for tracking your calories. MFP doesn't do the best with calculating how many calories you need, or how many calories you burn with exercise.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    No offence but your advice is far below the standard of advice I normally read on these boards.

I disagree. I read his previous 9pg long Q&A that he linked on the first post and I thought he gave some solid advice. That's the only reason I bothered to ask his opinion coz I asked similar questions this week and got some really bogus answers, some from people who themselves said were trainers.

Wow just wow. Those weren't bogus answers you got at all. You still believe you can lose 5 lbs and gain 5.5 lbs of muscle in 3-6 months on a 125 calorie surplus.
    Strength gains don't necessarily mean muscle gains and it's not a good way to measure muscle gain......

Please let's not derail this thread by rehashing old ones. I got the answers I wanted from @JonDrees and he seems to know what he's talking about.
    ... What happened to your DEXA scan?

I'm still shopping for one cheaper than the $90-125 I've found so far.

@Traveler120 look at the mobile dunk tank van in your area. Mine also does dexa for about $50. Unfortunately the machine was down last time they were here.
    Options
    JonDrees wrote: »

On MFP?

Thanks.

You are probably better off using a TDEE calculator like this one https://tdeecalculator.net/ and only using MFP for tracking your calories. MFP doesn't do the best with calculating how many calories you need, or how many calories you burn with exercise.

I will give TDEE a try, thank you. I have a garmin vivofit to track my steps and it connects to mfp. It's funny because garmin connect calculates my remaining calories differently to mfp. I usually have more calories left on connect, but I follow mfp's calculation to be on the safe side.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

On MFP?

Thanks.

What makes you think mfp isn't very good at giving a calorie goal?
    Options

On MFP?

Thanks.

I just entered my stats in TDEE and it calculated to maintain my weight I should be eating 2203 calories per day but I can't find on it how many calories I need to lose weight. It may be that I just don't understand it but I think I will stick to mfp and just see how things for now.
    Thanks to all for their help.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

On MFP?

Thanks.

I just entered my stats in TDEE and it calculated to maintain my weight I should be eating 2203 calories per day but I can't find on it how many calories I need to lose weight. It may be that I just don't understand it but I think I will stick to mfp and just see how things for now.

I wasn't asking you, I was asking @JonDrees as he said not to use MFP for calories. I am curious as to why he thinks that.
    Options
    Oops. Sorry must have hit quote on your comment by mistake and not his.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

On MFP?

Thanks.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement.
    A TDEE calculator is going to be worse at estimating exercise than MFP as it introduces extra variables.
    Guessing an average frequency of exercise.
    Guessing the actual duration of exercise.
    Guessing the average intensity of exercise.

TDEE calculators have the advantage of simplicity that's about all. That may be better for some people but also going to be worse for others. Those with a varied exercise pattern for example.
  • JonDrees
    Options

On MFP?

Thanks.

Because they are a generally too low for people. Perhaps, they assume people will forget to log some of the food they eat, so it will all balance out in the long run.
  • JonDrees
    edited March 2017
    Options

On MFP?

Thanks.

It depends on your goal, but 500kcal under your TDEE should be about a pound a week. 2203 - 500 = 1703

A pound will be about 3,500kcal.
    Options

On MFP?

Thanks.

It depends on your goal, but 500kcal under your TDEE should be about a pound a week. 2203 - 500 = 1703

A pound will be about 3,500kcal.

Whoop! Whoop! I get to eat more!!! *visualise a near enough 40 year old doing mum dancing around livingroom*
    Oh, on second thoughts please don't it'll hurt your brain!!

I will not abuse the extra 73 calories you have given me...I will be careful.
    Thanks. :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options

On MFP?

Thanks.

Because they are a generally too low for people. Perhaps, they assume people will forget to log some of the food they eat, so it will all balance out in the long run.

MFP just applies the same math you did. The person chooses the weight loss rate. 1 pound equals 3500 calories.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    @iwannalosemymummytummy I think you'll do great. You have this nailed :)
    Options

On MFP?

Thanks.

MFP just applies the same math you did. The person chooses the weight loss rate. 1 pound equals 3500 calories.

Please don't take my 73 calories away from me! I've only just got used to it.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options

On MFP?

Thanks.

Please don't take my 73 calories away from me! I've only just got used to it.

:) You clearly are on track. Enjoy your massive increase ;)