Runners: Why so slow?

Options
lilawolf
lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
I've heard/seen on numerous threads: "SLOW DOWN!", "Get passed by power walking grannies", and "you should be able to sing/hold a convo while running" etc.

The question: Why shouldn't I be a panting, red faced mess after my run? Why shouldn't I be trying to go faster/further almost every single run? Now, I do occasionally enjoy a long, slow, meditative sort of run especially over beautiful terrain, but generally why shouldn't I be pushing? The only things I can think of is motivation and injury. If you hate it, you won't do it, but all of my workouts are all out (running, martial arts, or lifting). If my shin splints came back or I was more than just a little sore, I would listen to my body (like Wednesday).

Been a long break. Best 5k time last summer was 29:50 I think? This week I'm back at it, and been pushing hard every time:
Monday: 32:59
Tuesday: 32:31
Wednesday rest
Thursday (today): 31:25

Replies

• lilawolf
    edited March 2017
    Options
    One of those appears to be my quote which was made to a new runner doing C25K, where the advice to slow down frequently applies. It sounds as if you are an experienced runner, so listening to your body sounds like a good plan for you.

Lol, your pic looks familiar so probably. Not poking fun at all. So you're saying that all/most of the "slow down until you can sing" advice is aimed at new runners?

ETA: Engrish is hard
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yeah I see this mostly advised to new runners. I had someone ask me if I knew how they should get past a point in C25K that were stalled at. I told them to slow down. Bam, got past the hump.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Ok, so as a follow up then..... Are you experience runners spent/panting/DONE when you finish your goal distance? Never, sometimes, most of the time, always?
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on how long the run is and fitness level. Like someone said the goal is to get through the assigned mileage as quickly as you can, and that can mean going slow. Some people need to go slow to get through 15 miles, some people need to go slow to get through 1. If you can go fast for 3 miles then that's great, but of course you probably won't maintain that through 15.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Depends on the objectives.

Personally only after a speed session, which is usually only a 10-13km session.

For longer runs the purpose is developing aerobic capacity, which isn't done effectively at the higher intensities.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I think it has to do with building fast twitch and slow twitch muscles.

I've done a lot of reading on Runner's World and think they have great informative articles. Elite runners do most of their training at "slow" pace. They didn't get to be elite runners by ignoring sound training advice.

I think at the beginning it's ok to run at a pace you are comfortable with (fast or slow). At some point, PRs will come slower and you'll look into training strategies to hit those PRs.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I haven't run in a while but I'm a terrible example of how you should feel at the end of a run because I run through anxiety/panic attacks 99% of the time. Always puffing by the end.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    One of those appears to be my quote which was made to a new runner doing C25K, where the advice to slow down frequently applies. It sounds as if you are an experienced runner, so listening to your body sounds like a good plan for you.

Lol, your pic looks familiar so probably. Not poking fun at all. So you're saying that all/most of the "slow down until you can sing" advice is aimed at new runners?

ETA: Engrish is hard

I'm not a particularly experienced runner. For the past few years I've ran C25K over winter, then stopped running until the next year, so I feel like I have a great deal of experience with being a beginning runner, but I'm not not really sure what sort of advice applies to people who have actually stuck with it. Sorry, if I'm no help. I do finally live somewhere where I can run in the Spring without melting my shoes, so I'll nose in on the subject once I know more about it. Give me a few more months.

It's okay to poke fun at getting passed by power walking grannies. It was a real life experience for me, and I found it embarrassing for a moment, then decided it was hilarious.
  • Charlene_1985
    Charlene_1985 Posts: 122 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I run about 35 miles per week. I've settled into running at a pace which leaves me winded but not gasping for 16 of those miles. For 6 of them, I am running at 90%, like if I'm running a 10K. The other 10-15 is a slow pace that allows me to feel like I could go forever. Years ago when I first started running, I was pushing myself each run. I was exhausted, sore, and grumpy all the time. This "schedule" is much more manageable if I have the day off I run my long run on and other than some soreness after some hills or the day after my monthly massage, I've been feeling pretty decent. I've been following this plan since October after I hurt my hip at work (non running injury). With this volume, an active job, some tennis, swimming, and biking added in how we, I am having difficulty keeping weight on. I say don't stress your body too much by demanding too much performance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    Ok, so as a follow up then..... Are you experience runners spent/panting/DONE when you finish your goal distance? Never, sometimes, most of the time, always?

Not a runner, but I ride. Not every ride is a sufferfest...not every ride is me trying to PR a 20K time trial. Working at a variety of intensities does different things to the body and does different things for your fitness. I do a sprint/tempo interval session about once per week and it leaves me pretty gassed...it's about 30 minutes long. If I do a 20K I usually do so at tempo which leaves me winded, but not red faced and totally gassed...maybe once or twice per month I'll go do a race pace 20K. My longer rides are done at an endurance pace because my objective is distance. Ironically, doing slower, longer rides has also improved my speed on shorter rides and increased my tempo pace. Endurance rides also provide for nice recovery from more intensive bouts.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    When I run with my sister, we use the "be able to talk" rule. We are getting in a run, but also sister time. As well, we're trail running, so there are hills, some long, some short, some steep, some gradual. We try to continue our conversations through it all. Lots of times though, it's just too hard to talk over hills. By the end, we are always a sweaty, panting mess, but mostly because as we warm up, we tend to get faster, and better able to manage conversation while we run. We average 10K once a week.