Replies

• FITitch40
    FITitch40 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Added you ladies :smile:
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    43 going on 44. I've got 12lbs to go. Last time I was on a diet, I lost 40lbs.. Really quick. Now I've got just 12 and everything is a struggle. And WTF is it with the acne? Really!?!

I don't see the acne
  • FITitch40
    Options
    Hey all! I'm 46. I lost 50 pounds and have been maintaining about 2 years now. I am and always have been a big eater. Sometimes maintenance is way harder than losing.

Yes, I agree. Maintenance was harder for me.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'm 43. It's taken me longer to get back up to fitness. I swim an average of 2 -3 times per week and 30 min once per week on the cross trainer. My fitness had gone right down for several different reasons including major abdominal surgery in 2013, and most of the muscles on my left side had all but disappeared due to wastage, leaving me with really painful back and shoulder problems. I thought that because I was over 40 I'd never get there.

The first time I got back in the pool I thought I was going to die after just 4 lengths. But now I'm nearly where I was when I was 22. It took forever. I used to get back up to fitness after a lapse in about 2 weeks. But this time it took nearly 3 months. I'm now trogging the black line for between 50 - 70 lengths straight laps, followed by 20 - 30 lengths resistence training. I don't swim any slower than I did when I was in my twenties. I still do a mile in between 35 - 45 minutes depending on what stroke combination I use.

I just did a 15 metre bleep test for work last week, and managed it the best I've done for about 6 or 7 years, running ahead of the bleep, where as two years ago I collapsed in a heap.

Age isn't just a number because it is harder the older you get, it may take longer to get up to fitness, but once you're at a level you want to be at, it is possible to maintain it. Just don't give up. Be determined.

This is so inspiring. I recently got back in the pool as well -- swimming 3x a week and boy is it hard. So different at age 46 than it was at age 36 (especially with 40 extra lbs on me). But it feels good.
  • Steph1015
    Steph1015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Add me... Love this post!
  • mickeygirliegirl
    mickeygirliegirl Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm 41, and trying to lose now SUCKS. I can be within my calorie range (not too low, not too high) and still freaking gain weight. I don't get it! :-/

OMG. I thought I was the only one. I just had that happen this week - in range all week and up 2 lbs by the end of the week.

But let me introduce myself really quick. 41 here, will be 42 this summer. CW: 167.2, GW: 150

Anyone can feel free to add me, new friends are always welcome here!! :)
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    47, almost 48, and I agree it's much harder. I seem to have more water fluctuations than I used to, which hides any progress and makes me want to throw in the towel. Plus I ended radiation in mid-November, my father passed away, and apparently fatigue from radiation can last 1-2 years. And I now have massive gluten issues so trying to get that under control and figure out if I need to remove all grains. Trying to get motivated and get back to running, but the energy level is obviously an issue. And then I wonder if I'm using it as an excuse. Ugh.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    44 here! I was successful at losing over 100lbs from Jan 2011 to June 2012 then got married, lazy and put on 65lbs. Here again to get that off and maintain!
  • FITitch40
    Options
    I lost 7 pounds so far this year, yay!!!! It's definitely possible to lose weight and get in shape over 40. It's just taking longer than it did before. I had to measure and weigh my food precisely to lose those 7 pounds. Wasn't easy but I'm definitely worth the fight. Gotta keep it up!
  • Sigma28
    Sigma28 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Please add me as well. Mid-40's here. It's so much harder now. I'd love to be friends!
  • brookekaczor
    brookekaczor Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm 45. I have always struggled with being overweight. I was told that I was big boned, but 7 years ago I lost 75 lbs and realized that I wasn't big boned. At that time we went through my 6 yo son's kidney failure struggles, I was able to donate to him (because of my weight loss, Praise God), but as we went through that I stopped watching the scale and gave in to old habits. Now I'm back on track, and started at 220 and am down to 207 and working towards 150. I don't see any difference between losing weight in my 30's and now in my forties. I just hope and pray that this time with MFP I can get to goal weight and maintain it.
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 75 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi, 40 hit, so did everything else
    Hot flashes, horrible periods and the urge to eat everything in sight!
    But with MFP and support we can all do this
    Feel free to add me
  • k8tjane
    k8tjane Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    44 here and also finding its a struggle - signed up for my first 10K which is in 3 weeks eek!!! Started running in February in the hope that the 'weight would drop off' but seem to keep losing and gaining the same 7lbs. Feel free to add me
  • bbzgrl110
    bbzgrl110 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and after I turned 45 everything just seemed to tank, my energy was non existent and I ended up putting on about 30 pounds over the past 8 years. I've been working at getting back in the game for a couple of months, had a couple slip ups but I'm determined to get ME back.
  • abs1970
    abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    46 and in the best shape of my life! Healthy, clean eating and daily training has worked for me. Age is just a number :)