Does anyone else have "rest guilt?"

Options
13»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    YES.

But having a Fitbit has helped me - I realized that I can still be active without going to the gym etc.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    nspink22 wrote: »
    I don't even mean just taking rest days...but doing nothing even after having worked out hard during the day. Even if I do a workout, I still feel guilty later on if I spend time just sitting around

Sounds a little obsessive to me.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Not guilt so much as restlessness.

this yeah. and then i go to the gym and feel sheepish. it's active rest, that's what. yeah.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I did until I realized that the rest doesn't hurt your progress.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    JB035 wrote: »
    I did until I realized that the rest doesn't hurt helps your progress.

FIFY.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I felt rest guilt when I was a noob and was "working out". Now I train. I have clear goals and in order to reach them I must rest. No guilt. If you want to reveal the fitness you have been building, you have to rest.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    JB035 wrote: »
    I did until I realized that the rest doesn't hurt helps your progress.

FIFY.

Yeah yeah yeah... :smiley:

For real though, if your body is in a constant state of exhaustion your workouts will be subpar.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I felt rest guilt when I was a noob and was "working out". Now I train. I have clear goals and in order to reach them I must rest. No guilt. If you want to reveal the fitness you have been building, you have to rest.

Yes, this.
    Now I train.
  • 31wright007
    31wright007 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Rest days.. hate 'em ...never associated it with guilt though...Like today, had to take one ... had a huge power dip from just getting up and eating breakfast.. had to cancel the bike ride I had planned ... a couple of naps and some chores around house was it for me.. but the worst part was the headaches and body fatigue.. can't even concentrate enough to get some reading or work done.. but guilt... not so much.. just hate doing nothing..
  • AuthorNinja
    AuthorNinja Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! :D
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't feel guilty on days that I have exercised first thing in the morning. On days where I don't head to the gym, I feel like I should be there, but I also know I need to give my body a break and allow it to rest up from any strength training. I'm still learning to let myself be okay with those rest days.
  • Deadlifting_Away_Doritos
    Options
    nspink22 wrote: »
    I know rest is an essential part of a fitness plan, but I can't help but feel guilty resting if I have time to exercise. Anyone else have this problem?

Nonreat for the wicked!