Besides calories what other things do you limit?

Options
People ask me what I limit. I tell them calories and sugar. I also feel better when I limit my sodium, don't feel so bloated. A coworker said she is losing weight just by portion control and having a very strict limit on carbs. I feel like everyone I hear from says limit this, limit that. I have lost 38 pounds so far limiting what I'm already doing and I feel like I'm running out of food options making me want to cheat on a meal. Right now I'm craving those foods that are very unhealthy and I don't want to slip up. Some days are easy but today it's been really hard for me to keep my will to not eat those unhealthy foods.

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Nothing really. I eat fewer starchy carbs when cutting generally but there will be days when I barely get any protein so I can eat major carbs. I don't even look at my sugar intake. The only thing I really limit is portions.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I don't have any hard and fast rules about anything. I do know that there are times when I struggle with my diet, and during those times I may cut out certain foods that I know are more apt to trigger a binge or send things sideways for me. But when I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing, I don't really limit anything. It's not usually that hard for me to fit in a bacon cheeseburger or pizza or fast food or dessert or whatever else.

As far as general advice to limit foods... that's usually coming from one of 2 camps - (1) people who want a crutch or excuse or easy fix. "Just stop eating ___ and you'll be set." Actually, you probably won't. (2) People who want to make a legit effort, but don't want to count calories. "If I cut out high calorie foods like ____ and ____, I should be OK." Maybe... only time will tell, and it will vary person to person. Oh, or camp #3 - people trying to sell something.
  • NavajoGirl85
    NavajoGirl85 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I do really well and I've been at this for a few months. There was only one day where I ate a meal that probably wasn't the best but got right back to working out that afternoon. I don't have a lot of days like this but today is hard. I used to get my favorite foods and snacks and just kick back watch TV for the evening and just have the food there if I wanted it. So today is really hard for me to not do that. It's almost depressing for me at times.
  • cordney
    cordney Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I limit alcohol, only because I don't like drinking calories.
  • NavajoGirl85
    Options
    I limit being lazy

I do that too. I find something to do everyday and I usually fit in some kind of workout everyday.
  • cafisher0404
    cafisher0404 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I also try to limit alcohol because it feels like a waste of calories... I'm not very successful at times.

Other than that, I have "bad" food in smaller portions so I don't feel like I'm deprived. I just try not to have the bad food at the same times as the alcohol or else my willpower for moderation disappears.
  • NavajoGirl85
    Options
    "just by portion control" - think about that for a second.

I do portion control with everything I eat but it's usually healthier options. Today I'm wanting to eat something not so healthy but I don't want to mess up my progress so I wont.
  • NavajoGirl85
    Options
    I also try to limit alcohol because it feels like a waste of calories... I'm not very successful at times.

Other than that, I have "bad" food in smaller portions so I don't feel like I'm deprived. I just try not to have the bad food at the same times as the alcohol or else my willpower for moderation disappears.

I don't drink so I'm glad I don't have to worry about that. I don't see a problem with having a drink I just dont. I might have a drink once a year.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

I do portion control with everything I eat but it's usually healthier options. Today I'm wanting to eat something not so healthy but I don't want to mess up my progress so I wont.

Will this "unhealthy" food put you over your calorie limit? If not, your progress will be fine.

I limit calories (food tastes good and I like to stuff my face) and sodium (high blood pressure).
  • NavajoGirl85
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Will this "unhealthy" food put you over your calorie limit? If not, your progress will be fine.

I limit calories (food tastes good and I like to stuff my face) and sodium (high blood pressure).

It's hard to eat out of the house when I don't know what the nutritional values are. You can sometimes look up the nutritiin online but every website says the numbers are different. I'm given 1770 calories a day, with food and excercise I have 1400 left. I have found that when I eat more than 700 mg of sodium a day it makes my stomach feel so bloated.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

I just meant that it was thrown off like "oh just by portion control" which is pretty much actually everything.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have a real sweet tooth and I eat sweets / cookies pretty often, as otherwise I am prone to cheating. My only restrictions on chocolate are that I try to buy chocolate not sourced from Africa, as they use a lot of slave labor in the cocoa bean fields there. South American chocolate is okay. So if you're having trouble with your chocolate cravings maybe that will help, lol.

I hate dark chocolate. Milk chocolate for life.