Besides calories what other things do you limit?

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I limit calories, try to get enough protein and fats and let the rest fall where they may.

Which are the good fats? I'm not really educated on fats. I hear people say to consume fats as part of a balanced nutrition but I never know which fats are good for you. I am assuming that saturated fat is the bad fat?

Don't worry, You're tying yourself up in knots. Just concentrate on calories and what is satisfying to you. Fat is fine if it's part of your day and within your calories. Full stop.
  • NavajoGirl85
    NavajoGirl85 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I limit calories, try to get enough protein and fats and let the rest fall where they may.

Which are the good fats? I'm not really educated on fats. I hear people say to consume fats as part of a balanced nutrition but I never know which fats are good for you. I am assuming that saturated fat is the bad fat?

Don't worry, You're tying yourself up in knots. Just concentrate on calories and what is satisfying to you. Fat is fine if it's part of your day and within your calories. Full stop.

Thank you. Your inspiring.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I pretty much stopped drinking calories... I'd rather eat food! But in the very rare event that I want some juice, some hard cider, or a smoothie, I'll go for it.

I DO have to limit sugary treats though, but because they don't fill me up for the calories. I still eat them, just not as much as I'd like.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Well, you've been posting on this thread for 2 hours. Has that helped you get past the temptations?
  • matt2673
    matt2673 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    People ask me what I limit. I tell them calories and sugar. I also feel better when I limit my sodium, don't feel so bloated. A coworker said she is losing weight just by portion control and having a very strict limit on carbs. I feel like everyone I hear from says limit this, limit that. I have lost 38 pounds so far limiting what I'm already doing and I feel like I'm running out of food options making me want to cheat on a meal. Right now I'm craving those foods that are very unhealthy and I don't want to slip up. Some days are easy but today it's been really hard for me to keep my will to not eat those unhealthy foods.

I count carbs because I am a Type 2 Diabetic. I try to keep my meals in the range of 40-60 carbs and snacks at 20-25 carbs. I also try to use good quality carbs whenever possible: i.e. whole grains, fruits, oats, etc. For my birthday I had one slice of cake which jumped my blood sugars 100 points. I felt physically ill afterwards. My body no longer likes that junk food.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I put a premium on positive nutrition...when I started adding things to my diet, other things by default fell off. I didn't actively limit this or that, it was just a function of overhauling my diet.

I don't eat a whole lot in the way of "junk" food but I do make room for indulgences...for example, most Friday nights are pizza night...it's pretty much the only time I eat pizza. I have a soda here and there, usually when I'm camping and I've been out hiking all day...stuff like that.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I limit the time I spend dealing with toxic relationships. I've got it down to near zero. o:)
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I limit 3 different things Sugar, Fat, & Sodium
    Sodium because i'm a heart patient and I don't need the extra fluid retention
    Fat because I had my gallbladder removed in Jan 2017 and when I eat a meal too high in fat i feel really sick
    Sugar because when I have too much like double the amount your supposed to have my heart goes crazy but when I have to low of sugar I feel like i am about to faint so I'm trying to find my happy medium
  • NavajoGirl85
    Options
    Well, you've been posting on this thread for 2 hours. Has that helped you get past the temptations?

Actually it has helped.
  • NavajoGirl85
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I limit the time I spend dealing with toxic relationships. I've got it down to near zero. o:)

Ha ha. This was funny.
  • RaphaBianchi
    RaphaBianchi Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Nothing is off limits. If I want something I just reduce the amount until it fits into my allotted calories.
  • NavajoGirl85
    Options
    kksmom1789 wrote: »
    I limit 3 different things Sugar, Fat, & Sodium
    Sodium because i'm a heart patient and I don't need the extra fluid retention
    Fat because I had my gallbladder removed in Jan 2017 and when I eat a meal too high in fat i feel really sick
    Sugar because when I have too much like double the amount your supposed to have my heart goes crazy but when I have to low of sugar I feel like i am about to faint so I'm trying to find my happy medium

It's a learning process for sure! Hope all is well with your heart!
  • BeauNash
    BeauNash Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I limit my compulsion to correct people who type "loose" when they mean "lose" and to tear strips off woo-merchants who think there's some magic bullet that conventional science is hiding from us.
  • NavajoGirl85
    Options
    BeauNash wrote: »
    I limit my compulsion to correct people who type "loose" when they mean "lose" and to tear strips off woo-merchants who think there's some magic bullet that conventional science is hiding from us.

:D
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Nothing really. I eat fewer starchy carbs when cutting generally but there will be days when I barely get any protein so I can eat major carbs. I don't even look at my sugar intake. The only thing I really limit is portions.

Ditto on the above. I guess you could say I limit alcohol consumption but that's mostly because I've recently started having allergic reactions to drinking (hives, runny nose, fast heart beat, the whole shebang). I did purposely limit alcohol for calorie reduction purposes prior to developing an allergy. I guess I'm lucky I wasn't much of a drinker to begin with.
  • NavajoGirl85
    Options
    Nothing really. I eat fewer starchy carbs when cutting generally but there will be days when I barely get any protein so I can eat major carbs. I don't even look at my sugar intake. The only thing I really limit is portions.

Ditto on the above. I guess you could say I limit alcohol consumption but that's mostly because I've recently started having allergic reactions to drinking (hives, runny nose, fast heart beat, the whole shebang). I did purposely limit alcohol for calorie reduction purposes prior to developing an allergy. I guess I'm lucky I wasn't much of a drinker to begin with.

Oh man. Of all the the things to be allergic to. I'm like you, don't really drink anyway.
  • lauralee328
    lauralee328 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I limit eating out, because it's just too hard to accurately gauge the calories in most restaurant meals. I also limit alcohol because once I start drinking, any thought of my diet goes out the window. That said, I don't forbid myself these things. I only limit them to very special occasions.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    For weight loss? Nothing.

I watch my sodium intake because I like salty foods. I don't want to go sky high with sodium every day.
    I limit or avoid alcohol, caffeine, artificial sweeteners, pineapple, licorice, cilantro, cucumbers, cantaloupe, most seafood because I don't like the way they make me feel or how they taste. I limit some foods because they are too expensive to have often.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I limit being lazy

This!
  • jroy1999
    jroy1999 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For weight loss-- just calories. But since I am at risk for high blood pressure, sodium. Other than that, I just eat whatever as long as it's within my limits for the day.