Can't eat that?

Options

Replies

• metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Chicken without breading makes you puke?

31347_mexican_bbq_chicken.jpg

This makes you puke?

I can recommend a whole host of seasonings that'll change your life forever. Bread crumb chicken has it's place but there's no need for it to enjoy a good piece of chicken.

I love chicken! I just bake it (skinless breasts) with peppers and shake some Parmesan on it to make it crispy.

I eat sandwiches a couple times a week. I don't look at bread, I just count calories and I'm down 30lbs since December.
  • GaveYouPower
    GaveYouPower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    metalmeow1 wrote: »

This makes you puke?

I can recommend a whole host of seasonings that'll change your life forever. Bread crumb chicken has it's place but there's no need for it to enjoy a good piece of chicken.

I love chicken! I just bake it (skinless breasts) with peppers and shake some Parmesan on it to make it crispy.

I eat sandwiches a couple times a week. I don't look at bread, I just count calories and I'm down 30lbs since December.

There we go. I cook all my chicken the same. Other than skinless breast, I skin them, rinse the extra fat off them, sprinkle them with salt (oil too if I'm feeling excited), then make a season rub of hot curry power, tumeric, Chinese 5 spice and Chilli Powder. Cover it with foil then put it in a pre-heated oven at 220℃ for an 1hr and 15 to 30 minutes (depending on the amount of chicken) You can even glaze them with raw honey midway through cooking so they have that sweet hint too. That's how I handle chicken.
  • linlinjay
    linlinjay Posts: 66 Member
    Options

This makes you puke?

Yes that still gave the gag reflex, no offense.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Send your mom here. We'll work her over about this nonsense.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    linlinjay wrote: »
    I live at home with my parents and go to community college and my parents keep telling me how i cant eat that and that. I wanted to make myself chicken strips with alittle bit of bread crumbs since chicken alone makes me puke but i still want the protein and my mum tells me "you can't eat bread!" And I always end up eating like 500 cals below my deficit because i eat in moderation so I dont see the problem with alittle bit of bread crumbs.. am i still going to lose weight if I enjoy some carbs?

What's her point? What is the reason she says you shouldn't eat certain things? Just need to get this in the right context.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    There is so much BS out there that people just accept as gospel that it is sickening. I am sure she means well but your mom doesn't know what she is talking about. Last year, I weighed 328 pounds. This morning, I weighed 193 pounds. I eat lots of carbs. I even eat sweets. :o I also, and this is what counts, maintain a calorie deficit.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    What I would do is to sit them down and very clearly explain your diet plan, exactly what you're doing, and what foods you will or won't be eating. That way they can have a better idea of what you're trying to do, and how you're going about it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Now I've had "U Can't Touch This" stuck in my head, except it's going "You can't eat that"
    nw8t9gdch2rc.jpg

Is there a reason that your parents are being like this? We all interact with our parents a little differently, so if it was my mom I'd whip out my MFP and show them how it fits into my deficit. Or tell her I surely could.

Of course, when I was told I needed to cut back on sugar/carbs (by my dr) my mom handed me a jelly sandwich (read: sugar/carbs). Oh momma.

Edited for werds. I ken type gud.

This seems even more amusingly appropriate when you consider that I still remember the Taco Bell commercials he did at the height of his popularity. Even as a kid, it was hilarious seeing someone use parachute pants as literal parachutes after jumping off of a building.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Breaded chicken is fine. However, if you really don't like chicken, why not get your protein from somewhere else? It's not obligatory to eat chicken.
  • linlinjay
    linlinjay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    She thinks that only if i eat vegetables i will lose weight
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

You should see posts here from former Weight Watchers members, accustomed to the idea that vegetables "don't count" when dieting, and then wondering why they're not losing weight after stuffing themselves with produce all day.

You can get fat eating anything, including veggies. You can lose weight eating anything too, including buttered bread or bacon sandwiches. It's all about how many calories you take in compared to how many you burn. PERIOD.

Ignore her as much as you're able to on this subject. (It may be impossible to ignore her completely on it, but do your best.) She really has no idea what she's talking about. Those who have responded to you in this thread have probably lost a cumulative total of hundreds of pounds, and kept them off. We know what works. This isn't a moral or ascetic thing, where one must suffer in order to succeed. In fact, it's best if you don't suffer. The diet that works is the diet you can stick to. If you cut out all foods you love, and force yourself to choke down foods that make your stomach turn, that's not a diet you can stick to and it will not work in the long run. (Maybe not even in the short run.)
  • GaveYouPower
    GaveYouPower Posts: 29 Member
    Options

This makes you puke?

Yes that still gave the gag reflex, no offense.

No offense taken. I'm sure you'll learn to love it in the future. Everyone has their own Chicken Calling.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    My dad has all kinds of "rules" in his head. He also thinks it's easy to loose weight. I'm glad I don't live with him. I don't know how my mom does it. When I was recovering from surgery and needed a ride to the grocery store (not even trying to loose weight) he critiqued everything. Like avocados, he got annoyed that I bought something with "fat" in it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    What I would do is to sit them down and very clearly explain your diet plan, exactly what you're doing, and what foods you will or won't be eating. That way they can have a better idea of what you're trying to do, and how you're going about it.

I wouldn't even take it that far. Whenever someone asks or says something about what I can't or can't eat on my diet (steak? Birthday cake? Ice cream? Fast food?) I tell them it's my diet, I eat what I want, and obviously it works.
  • bikerjoe83
    bikerjoe83 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Well she's right, but you won't be very healthy! You might have problems on the toilet and you won't have any energy, you might get smelly breath (dunno...) and your eyes will dry up. Tell her that.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Now I've had "U Can't Touch This" stuck in my head, except it's going "You can't eat that"
    nw8t9gdch2rc.jpg

Is there a reason that your parents are being like this? We all interact with our parents a little differently, so if it was my mom I'd whip out my MFP and show them how it fits into my deficit. Or tell her I surely could.

Of course, when I was told I needed to cut back on sugar/carbs (by my dr) my mom handed me a jelly sandwich (read: sugar/carbs). Oh momma.

Edited for werds. I ken type gud.

This seems even more amusingly appropriate when you consider that I still remember the Taco Bell commercials he did at the height of his popularity. Even as a kid, it was hilarious seeing someone use parachute pants as literal parachutes after jumping off of a building.

I had forgotten about that. Thank you for bringing it back into my life.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    You can eat WHATEVER you want to lose weight as long as you eat less than you burn.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If you don't like chicken, don't eat it (not that there is anything wrong with adding breadcrumbs if that is how you like it). There are lots of other protein choices - fish, shellfish, turkey, pork, beef, beans, dairy. Eat what you like.