Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Drink Shakeology because protein turns to fat"

Options

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    BB workouts are fine. But.....people should understand that the real money they make, especially after they sell the workouts at a high price when they're new, comes from the products they sell...the subscription is recurring revenue (anything that businesses can do that turns a product into a service is a money maker...)

Like others in the Big Diet and Big Fitness industry, the more obfuscation of truth there is, the better. It's not like they lie directly, more like they tell partial truths...enough to create a demand for those that don't know or don't want to take the time to know more.

The subscription to their full library of workouts isn't bad. I know you can get similar things for free out there. We have the subscription because we like the workouts in general, so for $90 for a year there is enough value for us.

We have zero of their accessory products though.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of facebook friends who are friends with a beachbody coach and so her posts pop up in my newsfeed sometimes. Last night she posted this long post about how shakeology is better than protein shakes because only body builders need protein shakes, the rest of us will end up with too much protein and it will turn to fat. So drink shakeology instead because it's not all protein but all kinds of nutrition and is the healthiest meal you can have all day!

Don't let this shill ruin your feed with spam.

@NorthCascades is absolutely right.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has zero storage and no way to convert to triglycerides, so it will never "make you fat".

Sooo... hypothetically... if you were at a calorie surplus, but your macros were all from alcohol, you wouldn't gain? Not that you could survive long like that...

I had thought that alcohol "makes you fat" mostly the same way as anything else. If your maintenance is 1500 and you eat 1400 and drink 200 cals of booze, you'll gain. Now you may burn off those 200 alcohol calories first and then the next 1300 from food, but ultimately you're still 100 calories over.

Does it really matter which macro ends up getting stored? And if so, why? I guess that's my main question.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I don't know but the idea that you can't get fat from alcohol doesn't make sense, with CICO. It's still calories. The sugar in it would be used as sugar from any food source, wouldn't it? What does a beer belly come from?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Alcohol has zero storage and no way to convert to triglycerides, so it will never "make you fat".

Sooo... hypothetically... if you were at a calorie surplus, but your macros were all from alcohol, you wouldn't gain? Not that you could survive long like that...

I had thought that alcohol "makes you fat" mostly the same way as anything else. If your maintenance is 1500 and you eat 1400 and drink 200 cals of booze, you'll gain. Now you may burn off those 200 alcohol calories first and then the next 1300 from food, but ultimately you're still 100 calories over.

Does it really matter which macro ends up getting stored? And if so, why? I guess that's my main question.

That is correct. You'd most likely die well before reaching maintenance cals from alcohol, but yeah, that's how it works.

As for your question, it was well explained in the article that I linked. The general idea is that storage order for excess macros is fat, then carbohydrate, then protein. This is mostly due to the processes for converting each to storable triglyceride getting more energy intensive the further down you go. The body is, above all else, energy efficient.

Interestingly, we are seeing more and more than the conversion of protein to triglyceride requires a stupid amount of overfeeding to take place. Dr. Jose Antonio's research has been quite interesting in this area.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    I don't know but the idea that you can't get fat from alcohol doesn't make sense, with CICO. It's still calories. The sugar in it would be used as sugar from any food source, wouldn't it? What does a beer belly come from?

Pure alcohol does not contain sugar - hard liquor and the like. Wine and beer both contain sugar and other carbohydrates and that's where the beer belly comes from, not from the alcohol. Also, people tend to get the munchies when they drink and consume lots of extra calories along with the alcohol.

Ok. Thanks. That explains it. In a mixed drink whatever is added could raise the calories and sugar to quite a bit (piña coladas, margaritas, cuba libres, etc.) Also many people say "alcohol" or "booze" and they mean wine, beer too.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    beer, wine, and cocktails also contain lots of calories from ingredients other than the ethanol.

Maybe the discussion would be clearer if instead of "alcohol" people would specify that they're talking about ethanol.