Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Drink Shakeology because protein turns to fat"

Options

Replies

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Beer belly does not come from alcohol, or the sugars in alcohol. It's not a "beer" belly at all.

It comes from consuming more calories than you burn and having a genetic predisposition to store fat in you belly. Doesn't matter where the calories come from.

this is true. I used to drink a lot, and I never grew a "beer belly." I do however have sizable beer love handles. My body tends to store excess fat on the sides for some reason.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    well just want to say that my mother is an alcoholic and she lives off beer. you are lucky if she eats a small meal. she lost so much weight from not eating that she is maybe 75lbs. her normal weight is around 125. she has NO beer belly. she has no fat at all on her. shes been drinking like this the last few years but has been an alcoholic for the last 32 years. she hasnt died yet and I cant figure out how she is still surviving.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Wrong thread.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Seriously, the answer is don't allow people to advertise to you in your feeds.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options

so true. I had a friend get drawn into the Herbalife pyramid scheme and I had to delete him.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »

so true. I had a friend get drawn into the Herbalife pyramid scheme and I had to delete him.

My wife's two closest friends (who happen to be the wives of my two closest friends) are now selling It Works. But who's the bad guy if I say so much as a single negative thing about it? That's right...me.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Alcohol has zero storage and no way to convert to triglycerides, so it will never "make you fat".

Sooo... hypothetically... if you were at a calorie surplus, but your macros were all from alcohol, you wouldn't gain? Not that you could survive long like that...

I had thought that alcohol "makes you fat" mostly the same way as anything else. If your maintenance is 1500 and you eat 1400 and drink 200 cals of booze, you'll gain. Now you may burn off those 200 alcohol calories first and then the next 1300 from food, but ultimately you're still 100 calories over.

Does it really matter which macro ends up getting stored? And if so, why? I guess that's my main question.

Alcohol isn't the direct cause of fat gain. It's because of oxidative priority: alcohol > protein > carb/glucose > fat and their inverse relationships of storage. Example: drink alcohol and any food you eat with it will get stored immediately until the alcohol is burned off.

The caveat to this graph is that since protein is constantly being broken down, eating an adequate amount of protein will actually put it behind everything else in terms of energy usage; i.e. the body doesn't like destroying organs, muscles, and tissue for energy if it doesn't have to. So eat adequate protein, and then choose whether you want your body to preferentially use carbs or fat for fuel.

wd7g3t3z8k6s.png

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5326984/
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is loaded with sugar. Not something I'd ever use.