What's your favorite nut?

Replies

• jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    7/16. I cannot dissemble. The 7/16 doesn't take so much torque as to be difficult to remove later. It does take enough torque to hold the pieces together.

Lol. I didn't get this at first, so I didn't ignore you -- I was thinking. I knew there was a joke in there, but I was lost. I think I may have started a fire between my ears. This was funny once it clicked.
  • jbirdgreen
    kclaar11 wrote: »
    pistachio. no one else???

I was also going to say Pistachios; I can't believe no one has mentioned them yet. I buy the big container of unsalted mixed nuts from Sam's Club. Definitely a fan of pistachios and almonds

I completely forgot about pistachios! I love them too -- I inhale a pack if I get it, but I never think to buy them! Poor, forgotten pistachios.
  • jbirdgreen
    zyxst wrote: »
    Brazil nuts, preferably salted.

Somebody has to eat them. Lol. Better you than me. ;)
  • jbirdgreen
    fascha wrote: »
    Cashews, but they're so calorie dense I rarely have them.

I try to do them like trail mix -- buy the 100 calorie packs or repackage them in serving sizes (little ziplock baggies) myself.
  • jbirdgreen
    earlnabby wrote: »
    One of my favorite parts of Christmas is the bowl of nuts in the shell we always had sitting out: filberts (another name for hazelnuts), almonds, walnuts, pecans, and Brazil nuts. Loved cracking and, in the case of pecans and walnuts, picking out the nutmeats. Almonds were the easiest, Brazil nuts the hardest. When cleaning out Mom's house last summer after she passed away, I grabbed her nut bowl and filled it with nuts this Christmas. Tradition must continue!

That sounds like an awesome Christmas tradition. I don't know why nuts and seeds taste so much better out of the shell! I think it's because it feels like you worked for it.
    I've never met a nut I didn't like. I've even come to appreciate the simple peanut. I used to pick 'em out of every nut mix.

Pecans are my childhood fav. I adore pistachios and almonds. I wish macadamia and hazelnuts weren't so expensive. Cashews are good only in small amounts. I've made myself sick on those a couple times. They're super rich to me.

They give you SO MANY peanuts in those mixes, I guess because they are cheaper.

newmeadow wrote: »
    I love every kind, roasted and salted.

But they never fill me and I never feel like I've eaten anything of substance after I've had even up to an entire bowl of them.

So I don't really bother with them anymore other than to eat a few of them if they're offered to me socially, out of politeness.

They are good though. Very unique taste and texture - all of them.

They do to me, but I think it's all in my head. People say they have protein, and protein fills you up, so I look at it that way now.
    Pecans, almonds, peanuts, macadamia nuts. Love all of them. Have to watch it though...so easy to for me overdo it, so I don't eat them to often (except for peanut butter - that's a daily treat!).

Peanut butter is the best thing for sliced bread and since sliced bread.

il_570xN.602883632_tpro.jpg

I'm buying this one of these days.

• jbirdgreen
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Even though I am on a Paleo diet, I still like all nuts and even the lowly peanut legume. The only one I don't like is the filbert / hazelnut (but I LOVE Frangelica). I love peanut butter and I eat a spoon full as a snack almost every day. I like my nuts as flours, fried, ground, roasted, raw, steamed, sprouted...

So paleoites (I made that up) can't eat nuts?! I'm ignorant about that diet.
  • jbirdgreen
    Salted Cashews. Honey Roasted Peanuts. Salted Pecans...or sweet pecans from the fair.

I agree. Very good taste!

• jbirdgreen
    You, you are my favorite nut! lol, I think I'm funny. There are so many, I like just about all of them. But if I had to pick one, probably the walnut.

I hardly ever eat nuts because to me their like chips and before I know it I've eaten 800 calories worth!

Just don't punch me, I don't want to be a salted. (ba dum tss). I think I'm funny too, apparently.

cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Almonds...usually slivered in my breakfast oats.

That sounds good! I want oatmeal now (cold, rainy day here).
    If you live near an Aldi, you need to check out their Almond Chocolate Composé. The dark version is the best chocolate I have ever had, and I am quite the connoisseur, as I eat a kitten's* bodyweight in dark chocolate daily.

*Actual kitten, not swear filter.

Anything with dark chocolate and almonds has to be good. Unfortunately no Aldi's around here.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    pistachio. no one else???

Oh I forgot to mention them. Yep I like them as they are more work and I eat them slower!!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Pecans! Just plain, or in a pie of course!
  • jbirdgreen
    @resler Can't forget pecan pie! Ever had a tassie? Those are my favorite because it's a more crust and less filing..
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    What annoys me are that most of the "nuts" I like are actually seeds.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    jbirdgreen wrote: »
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Even though I am on a Paleo diet, I still like all nuts and even the lowly peanut legume. The only one I don't like is the filbert / hazelnut (but I LOVE Frangelica). I love peanut butter and I eat a spoon full as a snack almost every day. I like my nuts as flours, fried, ground, roasted, raw, steamed, sprouted...

So paleoites (I made that up) can't eat nuts?! I'm ignorant about that diet.

Nuts are encouraged on the paleo diet except for peanuts as it is technically a legume...and for whatever reason, legumes are "bad"...
  • Lavelle1980
    Lavelle1980 Posts: 367 Member
    edited March 2017
    It would have to be walnuts. I can make Vegan alternative meats with it by soaking them in water for about 6-12 hours and mix equal parts of Walnuts and portabella mushrooms in a food processor. Then cook in a skillet with seasoning. Great for spaghetti, tacos, etc...

I call it brain food. High in calcium and other minerals.
  • jbirdgreen
    edited March 2017
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Nuts are encouraged on the paleo diet except for peanuts as it is technically a legume...and for whatever reason, legumes are "bad"...

Thank you for the info. That's why all the paleo recipes have almond butter...makes sense now.
    It would have to be walnuts. I can make Vegan alternative meats with it by soaking them in water for about 6-12 hours and mix equal parts of Walnuts and portabella mushrooms in a food processor. Then cook in a skillet with seasoning. Great for spaghetti, tacos, etc...

I call it brain food. High in calcium and other minerals.

That sounds amazing! I will have to try that! When I make veggie meatloaf, I do something similar: Kidney beans, lentils, walnuts, and assorted veg (carrot, onion, bell pepper, celery) in the food processor. I don't soak the walnuts though.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    I cannot control myself around cashews. They are just TOO good.

So, I have roasted salted almonds. Every day. And I love them, but I can stop after eating the allotted amount. I find myself sneaking cashews.

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    edited March 2017
    Pistachios in the shell because they take a little time and effort to eat.

And Trader Joe's Sunflower butter.

And Trader Joe's Cookie....er....uh....nevermind. :)

Oooooo and cashews. Unfortunately I like those A LOT! :)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Everyone stop naming nuts:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xCJdCKbfyLQ
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Bustina