What's your favorite nut?

Options

Replies

• MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Soooo, I just finished off a bag of coconut-covered cashews. They were a new item. I already like them plain, so why not? Guess I'll be working out on all the things tonight. :D

I also love almonds. I'm learning to incorporate almond flour in my baking recipes. Macadamias are pretty decent. I do enjoy walnuts for their savory undertones. Oh, pecans and pistachios are pretty good in homemade ice cream! I suppose I'll give those a whirl sans cream one of these days :)
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Roasted,salted cashews are delicious_as a special treat for me! I love raw almonds and English walnuts for everyday eating :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Options
    My favourites are salted almonds, but they're too high in calories to include in my diet on a regular basis so I save them for weekends where I'm doing really long rides.

As it happens they are full of electrolytes, so that works. :)
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    As a vegan I rely on cashew nuts, because I make mock cheese sauces with them. Although I am also quite partial to pecans and walnuts in my salads and stir fry.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My favorite nut to eat plain is walnuts.
    I prefer other nuts in something like a trail mix, salad, baked goods, etc.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I eat 8 unsalted almonds every morning as a snack. I love them. Tasty and easy to take with me anywhere int he world.

I also love hazelnuts.

For me, nuts are enjoyed as they are. I do not like them baked in to foods. I do, though, love hazelnuts on a salad.
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Love about all nuts but hickory nuts might be my favorite.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I absolutely hate the taste of American Black Walnuts except if they're baked in anything.

Black walnuts are good for one thing: the wood from the tree makes great furniture.

English walnuts are great eating!

I was a lumber inspector back in the early 80s. Loved inspecting Black Walnut lumber. The rules were completely different from anything else.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Marcona almonds. Yesssss. I'll take them any way.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Hmm, tough question. I eat a lot of nuts and seeds. We have pecan trees and hazelnut bushes. Also wild black walnut trees but I don't eat those. But I probably eat more almonds than anything because they are cheap and come in such a variety of flavors. I eat a handful of almonds almost every day. But roasted and salted pecans might be my favorite.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    roasted low sodium peanuts or hot nuts inside the shells
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    It would have to be walnuts. I can make Vegan alternative meats with it by soaking them in water for about 6-12 hours and mix equal parts of Walnuts and portabella mushrooms in a food processor. Then cook in a skillet with seasoning. Great for spaghetti, tacos, etc...

I call it brain food. High in calcium and other minerals.

Oh, I'm not vegan this sounds yummy. Do you use roasted walnuts or raw?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I absolutely hate the taste of American Black Walnuts except if they're baked in anything.

Black walnuts are good for one thing: the wood from the tree makes great furniture.

I an remember countless hours spent as a child picking and hulling black walnuts. I could never eat them though because they madke itchy bumps on my tongue.
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I can't decide between left and right.
  • Whit_88
    Whit_88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Pecans. 2nd is pistachios

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I was a lumber inspector back in the early 80s. Loved inspecting Black Walnut lumber. The rules were completely different from anything else.

My Great Grandmother had a 5 acre stand of black walnuts on the farm that was hers, and hers alone. Worked better for pocket money than selling eggs.

Hickory nuts are also kind of a pain to shell and not the tastiest.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Brazil, pistachio, walnut, pecan, almond, and macadamia. Love all of those equally.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Macadamia, cashews, pistachios, and almonds for eating plain. Except I developed an almond allergy last year along with chia seeds for some ungodly reason. I like walnuts and hazelnuts in food. I have gotten raw thumbs from pistachio sprees before. :flushed:
  • MargaretLunan
    MargaretLunan Posts: 5,299 Member
    Options
    cashew
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    -Hazelnuts: raw or lightly roasted.
    -Blanched almonds!!
    -Roasted sunflower seeds still in shell.

No salt added to any nut. Not because of sodium but just because I prefer not to have that taste.