Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Urban Food Desert Myth

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    I think there is a tendency for those with a grasp on their dietary intake and the means to comfortably support that to judge those who, on the surface, are making poor choices.

But poverty strips people of every little bit of themselves, mental illness increases, access to education often poorer and the ability intellectually and mentally, to change dietary habits becomes insurmountable when you're just trying to keep your life together as best you can.

Food deserts aren't necessarily the issue. Not having the means or ability to make a tiny little bit of money stretch far enough with fresh wholesome food is. Coupled with the abject misery of having to be so careful for years on end. Sometimes it's just easier to to grab a family size pasta tray bake for £3 and a packet of custard creams for 20p.

I've been there. I know how to cook and well, I can throw together a meal from virtually nothing (or at least used to be, damn cognitive issues) but when I was dirt poor crying about not being able to pay bills, my desire to get creative in the kitchen vanished. It might not be right but this whole culture of those who can afford to eat relatively well and pay their bills telling the poor to just manage their life and finances better is bullcrap.

I've been on both sides. You know what happened when I was working a low paying manual labor job and living in my truck, only able to eat McDonald's dollar menu crap twice per day? I lost 30 lbs. in three months. I got fatter again when I started being able to afford more food the following season.

Then I realized what needed to be done, and fixed the problem again. Physics gives not a single damn about your income bracket.

No it doesn't. But you had a very physical job. Not everyone does.

Obesity is about a lot more than physics and ignoring that isn't useful.

I sit at a desk all day and am not fat or struggling with my weight. I also eat much better and cheaper than I did when I was poor, because I'm smarter now. Vegetables aren't expensive, particularly if you're in an urban area that has ethnic markets. But even at a regular grocery store (and I'm in Vegas, where everything has to be shipped in) it's not expensive. The salads w/chicken I eat for lunch every day cost <$2 to make - you're not going to beat that at McDonalds. In fact, I'm not sure I ever make a meal at home that costs more than $3-4, unless it includes a big piece of steak or some shrimp.

Eating well is cheap, as long as you educate yourself.

Also, obesity is entirely about physics. Unused energy in the form of calories is stored in the body as fat. Reduce the energy entering the system and/or increase the energy being expended via exercise, and you reduce the energy being stored. There is no way around this.

You're missing my point. I said nothing about the cost of healthy eating, sure i mentioned a tray bake and biscuits (cookies) and in a single meal those can be cheaper than making yourself, financially and mentally. And if you read again, I mention other barriers, such as issues pertaining to planning ahead so that better meals are more affordable and more healthful.

And there is the chicken egg question. IS the poor planning the result of, or the cause of the obesity and poverty. No doubt there is a link, but which is the cause and which the result.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    cheldadex wrote: »

To compare poverty in a third world/developing country with that of a first world country is patently ridiculous. We aren't saying people are starving, or surviving on aid rations. It's a straw man of the highest order.

Poverty is relative.

Seems simple then, the solution to the obesity problem is use a bit self control and eat less. But of course, if they had more self control they might not be "poor" in the first place.

So, the poor are poor because they have no self-control? Is that really what you're saying here?

In the industrialized so called "first world" Yes. It's really that simple.
  • SpotLighttt
    SpotLighttt Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    mskimee wrote: »
    Tania_181 wrote: »
    From my own past experience in the U.K., it is often cheaper to buy carbs, and junk or processed food than it is to buy fresh fruit and vegetables. You can for example, buy pasta/rice for many meals but a equivalent amount of veg (price-wise) might only give you 1-2 portions. Equally, things such as biscuits can be very cheap here. There may also be a correlation between income and education that affects diet.

I 100% agree. To go into Tesco and fill a basket with fresh fruit/veg is gonna cost more. Lean meat is always more expensive than high fat.

One example for my family is fajitas! We love them but they work out so expensive for 3 people.

Peppers €1.49
    Onion €0.39
    Mushrooms €0.99
    Chicken €4.99
    Wraps €0.79
    Spices €1.00
    Sweetcorn €0.50
    Rice €.50
    Total €10.65

Or a pre-packed ready meal full of salt, sugar and fat that can be microwaved = €1.00 each

It's crazy!!

thats why you have Lidl/Aldi
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    The Orwell quote, if you believe it applies to modern urban poor, suggests that food deserts don't really make a difference because no sane person would eat healthy food. He was really talking about the cost of eating a healthy diet, not the availability of nourishing food, which he knew people had access to - thus the "raw carrots" remark.

No, he was talking about cheap pleasures, among other things.

And yes, I think that was the point, that the reason isn't food deserts, but that doesn't mean it's not harder if you are poor.

You seem to be arguing against a point I'm not sure anyone here is actually arguing for -- that food deserts are the main problem.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    dfwesq wrote: »
    One would think, the truly screwed are the poor who live in areas where it can be 60+ miles to a reasonably sized town. However, these people often tend to be cash poor, but environment resourceful, so to speak.
    Are you talking about them having gardens, or at least knowing people who have gardens? (Same could apply to fishing, hunting, I suppose.)

I live on the outskirts of a small rural town in Nevada with the nearest supermarket 3 miles away. Some of my neighbors who don't have cars rely on a gas station convenience store for their groceries, a limited and expensive resource.

A vegetable garden, fruit trees, and backyard chickens supplement my diet very nicely, a luxury unavailable to most urban food-desert-dwellers, I'm guessing.

This, but usually it's not that they can't do it, in a realistic sense. It's that often, draconian city zoning codes levy fines for such things. Kinda defeats the purpose of growing your own food when you end up getting hit for 10x the value of the food potential in fines. Can't have people dodging your shady local sales taxes, ya' know?

I'm not aware of any fines for growing gardens. That seems weird. I am in a city and grow vegetables, and I happen to know that laws permit chickens too. The problem is (a) space, and (b) if your building prohibits chickens. The lower income neighborhoods have houses often (but in other areas not), so space depends. However, there are also LOTS of options for community gardens.

I am not actually convinced that home gardening is cheaper for most in a city -- it's not for me with the kind of space I have, the time it takes, chance of crop failure, etc. There are some things I am very successful with (tomatoes) and others less so. I don't have a big yard, though -- most of my gardening is on my rooftop. With a yard I think it would be easier.

I would certainly agree that space is usually the limiting factor. Hell, I eat nearly four pounds of various vegetables on a daily basis. I don't even think a full yard could cover that, and I really am not even that diverse in my choices. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, peppers, cauliflower and green beans are all easy to grow, but would definitely require a large amount of land to cover just my own consumption. I live in a two bedroom apartment, by myself, and with minimal furniture and I still can't imagine where I would even grow the peppers that I can eat, and that's by far the smallest part.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I think that there are always choices that we all can make.
    Obesity is not limited to people in poverty. Taking control of our lives and making better choices. Portion control, CICO, moving more. Where there is will, there is a way. No matter what you eat, or where you get your food, you can not eat more calories than you burn without consequences. Overeating knows no income level. People can, and have, lost weight eating junk food. It comes down to personal choice.

BTW, gas stations here sell fresh produce, and you can get it cheaper than the grocery stores. Variety is limited, but it is available. Same thing with milk.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a rural area where the nearest large grocery store was 35 miles away. There was a small one 2 miles but very limited choice. However it certainly had fruit and vegetables just a smaller selection.

Where I live fruit is quit expensive, I spend easily $30 week just on fruit. 6 oz box of raspberries can be $5 in winter, strawberries the same. The apples that I like are $2/lb, bananas are the cheapest at .79/lb. Sad to say for 2 people we spend at least $150/week on groceries thankfully we can now afford it.

When I was much younger and very poor, my weekly groceries consisted of a bag of frozen french fries, a package of hot dogs, loaf of bread and Pepsi. A jar of peanut butter as needed. Thankfully I waitressed and was able to get either discounted or free meals at work to supplement my diet.

So yes it can be expensive but carrots, turnips and that sort of thing are quite cheap as are canned and frozen veggies. Learn to be creative in the kitchen and make meals stretch but I understand its not easy especially when you are stressed about just making ends meet. There is no easy one fits all solution.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

To compare poverty in a third world/developing country with that of a first world country is patently ridiculous. We aren't saying people are starving, or surviving on aid rations. It's a straw man of the highest order.

Poverty is relative.

Seems simple then, the solution to the obesity problem is use a bit self control and eat less. But of course, if they had more self control they might not be "poor" in the first place.

I'm surprised to see that your experiences have led you to conclude that poverty is an issue of poor self-control. Didn't you open the conversation with something about starving children in Africa? Have they failed to sufficiently exercise self-control or is it only the poor in the US and UK who have morally failed?

Maybe you should read what I was replying to. But to answer the 2nd part of your last question, yes, by and large.

So poverty is the result of outside forces in some countries, but self-inflicted in others?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Many people do find it easier to moralize about what the poor should do and how they've failed than to seriously try to understand what's going on in people's lives and consider *how* change can actually come about.

We already know how. Laws of thermodynamics, CICO etc.
    So what's more important to you? Understanding the situation or feeling superior?

Let's see, we have obese people, who we can all agree do not need even more food, a subset of them are also "poor", and they use their limited resources to buy things (food) they do not need? I'm sorry, I'm not even going to try to understand irrational beings.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying.
  • janejellyroll
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have seen these kinds of topics on here before.
    My question is, where does personal responsibility come into this? Everyone, rich, poor and in between should have personal responsibility, for themselves and their families.
    Packaged foods are labeled with serving sizes and calories per serving. Is it ok to overeat anything if you are poor?
    Kraft macaroni & cheese is expensive compared to buying a 1pound box of elbow macaroni and making your own mac & cheese, using milk & cheese, which would give a lot more servings.
    Buying things in bulk saves a lot of money, and everyone can pay attention to serving sizes and not overeat. In the inner cities of Mpls/St. Paul, there is better public transportation than the suburbs, I just can not buy the excuse that there is very few options for urban shoppers. Why can't you get on a bus or light rail. I know I did it when I lived in the inner city. We didn't have light rail then, but I got on a bus and did it, before I had a car.
    Excuses seem to be easy now days.
    Personal responsibility is a thing of the past.

But to be fair, we have an exceptional public transportation system in Minneapolis/St. Paul so things that may be true for lower income people here may not be true elsewhere. I've lived in cities and towns where it can be incredibly challenging to get around without regular access to a car.

"Just get on the light rail" only works for cities that have them and where the stops are placed to facilitate how people want to use them. True here, not true for a lot of places.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Poverty is relative.

I'm surprised to see that your experiences have led you to conclude that poverty is an issue of poor self-control. Didn't you open the conversation with something about starving children in Africa? Have they failed to sufficiently exercise self-control or is it only the poor in the US and UK who have morally failed?

Maybe you should read what I was replying to. But to answer the 2nd part of your last question, yes, by and large.

So poverty is the result of outside forces in some countries, but self-inflicted in others?

Yes. When poverty and obesity coincide, it's self inflicted.

When poverty and starvation coincide, there are likely external factors.

Why is this so hard to accept?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Poverty is relative.

I don't think you understand my question -- my question isn't about poverty *and* obesity, it's about poverty. The argument is being made that in some countries poverty is self-inflicted, the result of poor self-control, while in other countries it is the result of outside forces. I am not sure what evidence exists for this argument, but I'm not yet convinced by it.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have seen these kinds of topics on here before.
    My question is, where does personal responsibility come into this? Everyone, rich, poor and in between should have personal responsibility, for themselves and their families.
    Packaged foods are labeled with serving sizes and calories per serving. Is it ok to overeat anything if you are poor?
    Kraft macaroni & cheese is expensive compared to buying a 1pound box of elbow macaroni and making your own mac & cheese, using milk & cheese, which would give a lot more servings.
    Buying things in bulk saves a lot of money, and everyone can pay attention to serving sizes and not overeat. In the inner cities of Mpls/St. Paul, there is better public transportation than the suburbs, I just can not buy the excuse that there is very few options for urban shoppers. Why can't you get on a bus or light rail. I know I did it when I lived in the inner city. We didn't have light rail then, but I got on a bus and did it, before I had a car.
    Excuses seem to be easy now days.
    Personal responsibility is a thing of the past.

But to be fair, we have an exceptional public transportation system in Minneapolis/St. Paul so things that may be true for lower income people here may not be true elsewhere. I've lived in cities and towns where it can be incredibly challenging to get around without regular access to a car.

"Just get on the light rail" only works for cities that have them and where the stops are placed to facilitate how people want to use them. True here, not true for a lot of places.

I wouldn't call it exceptional, especially considering very little mass transit in the suburbs. Seriously? I lived in Mpls and either walked or bussed to get my groceries as I had no car then, and there was no light rail. There are busses and light rail in both cities with frequent schedules. Anyway, where are they getting the food that makes them obese, and why can't they make better choices where they get the food they do eat? Use moderation and portion control. Is it ok to overeat anything? It is an excuse, someone else to blame. My grandparents were Swedish immigrants. Their home was in west Minneapolis(in those days it was almost living in the country). They had no car. Took a streetcar to get groceries.

BTW, mass transit is exceptional if you live in the inner cities, not so much for the suburbs.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Poverty is relative.

I don't think you understand my question -- my question isn't about poverty *and* obesity, it's about poverty. The argument is being made that in some countries poverty is self-inflicted, the result of poor self-control, while in other countries it is the result of outside forces. I am not sure what evidence exists for this argument, but I'm not yet convinced by it.

I understood your question. In the industrial world, with universal education, remaining poor is a choice. It may not be a conscious choice, but it is a choice nonetheless.

Pursuing the quick, the easy, the temporarily satisfying is how and why the poor remain poor.

It's easy to use a payday loan to buy sneakers, it's harder to wear Walmart wonders.

And yeah. I've been ramen poor. I didn't know how poor I was until I enlisted in the military, and discovered that my first paycheck(monthly) was more than my parents had been making while providing for a family of 5 with no public assistance.

That was 1996 and about $900 a month.