Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Adrenal Fatigue?

Options
12346»

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    The thing about most chronic and autoimmune diseases is that there is no cure. The best you can hope for is management of periods of remission and relapse. At least conventional medicine is honest about this. Whereas quack remedies make impossible claims. It's taken me 15 years of illness to realise that anything that sounds too good to be true,probably is.

The other problem is that since almost all chronic illness goes through cycles of remission and relapse, it can be really tricky to pinpoint when something actually works. If you take it and you feel better it's natural to assume that whatever you changed made an impact, but lots of times that's not the case, and it was just a coincidence. I even have this problem with tried and true meds. Add a bunch of woo to the mix and it's even tougher to sort out.

Absolutely. And it never ceases to amaze me how,when people start to feel better, they invariably put it down to this or that supplement or complementary therapy - never the conventional drug they recently started taking!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    True story: my shoulder was aching for about a week. This was before I started MFP, exercise, etc. I hadn't done any heavy lifting or anything. Near as I can tell, I'd slept on it wrong. I was icing it and all, to no avail. I walked into Great American Backrub to see if there was anything I could pick up. (I did get a hot-and-cold compress, btw.) The clerk suggested I book a massage, but I didn't have time. She also suggested an analgesic spray and spritzed some on my hand 'so I could know what it felt like'. (Fair enough. I know some of those gels can sting and burn.) I wasn't interested so I paid for my purchase and moved on.

Five minutes later, my shoulder stopped aching. Completely. Pain didn't come back.

Now simple logic tells me that there is NO WAY that spraying an analgesic on the back of your hand will cure shoulder pain. It's not like the spritz is going to travel to where the pain is. However, even though correlation is not causation, having the pain cease within minutes of spraying that stuff is one heck of a correlation. Still doesn't make it a cure, though.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Skin is porous to some extent so it can absorb creams and ointments and where appropriate take what ever it was into the blood stream, who says it did not travel.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Skin is porous to some extent so it can absorb creams and ointments and where appropriate take what ever it was into the blood stream, who says it did not travel.

I have IBD and have been advised not to use anti inflammatory medication- not even in its topical form,so I assume it's absorbed into the system. Not sure it'd work that quickly though!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Maybe, but this was more of a cologne-type spray. It's been my experience with creams and ointments that they need to be applied near the site of the pain and generally need to be rubbed in. I guess anything's possible, but I still don't think it likely.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Things applied to the skin is absorbed more quickly than those taken in via digestion, medications sprayed into the mouth are virtually instant.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Things applied to the skin is absorbed more quickly than those taken in via digestion, medications sprayed into the mouth are virtually instant.

It's worth noting that there's a difference in absorption between skin and mucous membranes (such as the interior of the mouth).