Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Elementary School Gym teachers telling kids to restrict calories!

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    First of all kids need proper calorie intake for proper growth. If kids are active they should be able to eat what they want. If concerned about eating healthy teach healthy eating habits. They should not be counting calories and going to the extremes this teacher is teaching them.

She is setting those kids up for an eating disorder and she should be reported to the administration. I think that is absolutely horrible.

I would disagree with most of this. Children should never be allowed to eat what they want. They'd likely live on chips and candy. Parents should teach children how to eat properly - proper portions along with proper nutrition.

Yes and no. My girlfriend's ten year old son is a rare exception to this. Dude still has several huge bags of candy kicking around that were given to him as gifts about two years ago.

The screwed up part? He's starting to have weight problems. He doesn't eat what most would call "junk food", but he outeats his energy expenditure. I don't care if it's fruits, vegetables, lean meats and whole grains, too much of anything can cause fat gain problems. We all know this, so the people in this thread pretending like it doesn't apply to children are just baffling me.

Agree on both points. He is a rare exception, and portion control of all types of food should be taught.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    kclaar11 wrote: »
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    First of all kids need proper calorie intake for proper growth. If kids are active they should be able to eat what they want. If concerned about eating healthy teach healthy eating habits. They should not be counting calories and going to the extremes this teacher is teaching them.

She is setting those kids up for an eating disorder and she should be reported to the administration. I think that is absolutely horrible.

I would disagree with most of this. Children should never be allowed to eat what they want. They'd likely live on chips and candy. Parents should teach children how to eat properly - proper portions along with proper nutrition.

Yes and no. My girlfriend's ten year old son is a rare exception to this. Dude still has several huge bags of candy kicking around that were given to him as gifts about two years ago.

The screwed up part? He's starting to have weight problems. He doesn't eat what most would call "junk food", but he outeats his energy expenditure. I don't care if it's fruits, vegetables, lean meats and whole grains, too much of anything can cause fat gain problems. We all know this, so the people in this thread pretending like it doesn't apply to children are just baffling me.

I don't think anyone's pretending that this doesn't apply to children.

What people, myself included, are saying is that I don't think you should present the concept of healthy eating to elementary aged children in the way that this teacher apparently is.

I'd say maybe the way it was presented was probably not the best, but I don't think it should be left solely to the parents. Not trying to judge my future in-laws, but my fiancee's little brother is 7 and definitely overweight for his age. At home, he grabs chips and snacks at will, and he then barely eats anything for dinner. There are times that dinner is 5 minutes from done and he will grab snacks, and all they say is "well he is hungry". Sometimes parents don't exactly do their kids any favors

That's an excellent illustration of why the parents must be educated. No 7 year old is going to discipline himself about snacks just because a teacher told him to.
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »

What people, myself included, are saying is that I don't think you should present the concept of healthy eating to elementary aged children in the way that this teacher apparently is.

I'd say maybe the way it was presented was probably not the best, but I don't think it should be left solely to the parents. Not trying to judge my future in-laws, but my fiancee's little brother is 7 and definitely overweight for his age. At home, he grabs chips and snacks at will, and he then barely eats anything for dinner. There are times that dinner is 5 minutes from done and he will grab snacks, and all they say is "well he is hungry". Sometimes parents don't exactly do their kids any favors

That's an excellent illustration of why the parents must be educated. No 7 year old is going to discipline himself about snacks just because a teacher told him to.

I certainly don't disagree with that
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, with adults you don't get a captive audience, and unless the really want to learn, they won't. If most of then wanted to learn, they already would have.
  • fatgirlandrobin
    fatgirlandrobin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is COMPLETELY inappropriate. Teaching kids junk food is bad for them? Sure. Teaching kids they need to skip meals so they don't go over their calorie limit?? What the *kitten*???
    Sorry but I'd rather my kid be fat than have an eating disorder. It's also this kind of thinking that teaches kids it's okay to bully fat kids.
    Honestly, I'd take this up with the school. It's completely inappropriate.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, with adults you don't get a captive audience, and unless the really want to learn, they won't. If most of then wanted to learn, they already would have.

Even more unfortunately, without parental support you will never get a 7 year old to stop stuffing himself with junk food.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I agree so much with this. So what if he is hungry. I think it's good to teach children that it's perfectly okay to be hungry before a meal. More than okay.
  • kclaar11
    Options

Even more unfortunately, without parental support you will never get a 7 year old to stop stuffing himself with junk food.

I agree. We have tried to at least enforce some better dietary habits when we babysit from time to time, but that does nothing when it only happens on rare occasions.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    This is COMPLETELY inappropriate. Teaching kids junk food is bad for them? Sure. Teaching kids they need to skip meals so they don't go over their calorie limit?? What the *kitten*???
    Sorry but I'd rather my kid be fat than have an eating disorder. It's also this kind of thinking that teaches kids it's okay to bully fat kids.

I'd argue that kids don't get fat without an eating disorder. Overeating is disordered eating.

What? Nuh uh. You haven't heard? Only skinny kids have eating disorders. Being morbidly obese is the new normal. Fat is the new black. Mmhmmmm.

Hey man, I'd old(ish). Don't come at me with your new-fangled thinking!
  • kclaar11
    Options

I'd argue that kids don't get fat without an eating disorder. Overeating is disordered eating.

What? Nuh uh. You haven't heard? Only skinny kids have eating disorders. Being morbidly obese is the new normal. Fat is the new black. Mmhmmmm.

This is borderline blasphemy!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

I agree so much with this. So what if he is hungry. I think it's good to teach children that it's perfectly okay to be hungry before a meal. More than okay.

Especially if I spent all my time cooking a good meal! :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited March 2017
    Options

I don't disagree with that either.

A lot of parents should do a better job of educating their children on proper eating habits. I realize that sometimes that can be easier said than done and I'm sure certain people who are actual parents could get mad at me, someone who isn't one, for saying that they're doing a poor job of things, but that does't stop it from being the truth.

Have you looked at the newbie threads on MFP? How can we expect parents to educate their children on things that they are completely ignorant of? It takes months to wash the misconceptions and weirdness out of those that do learn, and some (I'm almost willing to bet most) never actually change.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options

Well, for a lot of people, being fat may be considered an eating disorder too.
    And it is never ok to bully, for any reason.

The OP does have a meeting scheduled with the principal and teacher. What I would be interested in finding out is whether she is going to seek professional help for her son. There is more to this than we know. It is not just about the teachers comments, which may, or may not, have been taken out of context.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

A lot of parents should do a better job of educating their children on proper eating habits. I realize that sometimes that can be easier said than done and I'm sure certain people who are actual parents could get mad at me, someone who isn't one, for saying that they're doing a poor job of things, but that does't stop it from being the truth.

Have you looked at the newbie threads on MFP? How can we expect parents to educate their children on things that they are completely ignorant of? It takes months to wash the misconceptions and weirdness out of those that do learn, and some never actually change.

To be honest I skip those sometimes because my tendency is to snap at people for asking questions that I feel everyone should already know the answers to lol

Seriously, dedicate one day to just browsing threads from new members, then realize that the people you are expecting to educate said children are usually even worse off. At least the newbies here have shown a modicum of initiative to learn.
  • kclaar11
    Options

Have you looked at the newbie threads on MFP? How can we expect parents to educate their children on things that they are completely ignorant of? It takes months to wash the misconceptions and weirdness out of those that do learn, and some never actually change.

To be honest I skip those sometimes because my tendency is to snap at people for asking questions that I feel everyone should already know the answers to lol

Obviously some things should be common knowledge, but I try to be a little more open to these people because, 1) I haven't been on here very long, and 2) I learned a ton from these forums that I didn't know before
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Have you looked at the newbie threads on MFP? How can we expect parents to educate their children on things that they are completely ignorant of? It takes months to wash the misconceptions and weirdness out of those that do learn, and some (I'm almost willing to bet most) never actually change.

So very true. And so very sad. This site was a real eye opener for me. I truly had no idea that so many adults are completely clueless about nutrition and calories and how our bodies work. I mean it was really shocking to me. Still is to be honest.