Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Elementary School Gym teachers telling kids to restrict calories!

Options

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm sure that the teachers would learn something too... they'd have to follow FDA/equivalent guidelines if they endeavored to work nutrition into the curriculum. They can't teach that dinosaurs didn't exist because the teacher is Catholic etc. I'm sure there would be some sort of regulative body ensuring the information was a) standardized and b) correct.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    kclaar11 wrote: »
    ccsernica wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    First of all kids need proper calorie intake for proper growth. If kids are active they should be able to eat what they want. If concerned about eating healthy teach healthy eating habits. They should not be counting calories and going to the extremes this teacher is teaching them.

She is setting those kids up for an eating disorder and she should be reported to the administration. I think that is absolutely horrible.

I would disagree with most of this. Children should never be allowed to eat what they want. They'd likely live on chips and candy. Parents should teach children how to eat properly - proper portions along with proper nutrition.

Yes and no. My girlfriend's ten year old son is a rare exception to this. Dude still has several huge bags of candy kicking around that were given to him as gifts about two years ago.

The screwed up part? He's starting to have weight problems. He doesn't eat what most would call "junk food", but he outeats his energy expenditure. I don't care if it's fruits, vegetables, lean meats and whole grains, too much of anything can cause fat gain problems. We all know this, so the people in this thread pretending like it doesn't apply to children are just baffling me.

I don't think anyone's pretending that this doesn't apply to children.

What people, myself included, are saying is that I don't think you should present the concept of healthy eating to elementary aged children in the way that this teacher apparently is.

I'd say maybe the way it was presented was probably not the best, but I don't think it should be left solely to the parents. Not trying to judge my future in-laws, but my fiancee's little brother is 7 and definitely overweight for his age. At home, he grabs chips and snacks at will, and he then barely eats anything for dinner. There are times that dinner is 5 minutes from done and he will grab snacks, and all they say is "well he is hungry". Sometimes parents don't exactly do their kids any favors

That's an excellent illustration of why the parents must be educated. No 7 year old is going to discipline himself about snacks just because a teacher told him to.

I certainly don't disagree with that

I don't disagree with that either.

A lot of parents should do a better job of educating their children on proper eating habits. I realize that sometimes that can be easier said than done and I'm sure certain people who are actual parents could get mad at me, someone who isn't one, for saying that they're doing a poor job of things, but that does't stop it from being the truth.

Have you looked at the newbie threads on MFP? How can we expect parents to educate their children on things that they are completely ignorant of? It takes months to wash the misconceptions and weirdness out of those that do learn, and some never actually change.

To be honest I skip those sometimes because my tendency is to snap at people for asking questions that I feel everyone should already know the answers to lol

I feel like I may have snapped at a few early on because I thought they were being purposely obtuse.

Women who don't know that weight increases during PMS/TOM??
    People who think you can't gain weight if you are eating healthy foods regardless of amount??
    People who think you will gain weight if you eat junk/fast food regardless of amount??

Can this be real life?

Oh it is very real, and our growing (huehue) obesity statistics prove that.
  • fatgirlandrobin
    fatgirlandrobin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is COMPLETELY inappropriate. Teaching kids junk food is bad for them? Sure. Teaching kids they need to skip meals so they don't go over their calorie limit?? What the *kitten*???
    Sorry but I'd rather my kid be fat than have an eating disorder. It's also this kind of thinking that teaches kids it's okay to bully fat kids.
    Honestly, I'd take this up with the school. It's completely inappropriate.

I'd argue that kids don't get fat without an eating disorder. Overeating is disordered eating.

For some kids, yes. I got fat because all I ate was pasta and McDonalds. I didn't overeat, I just ate *kitten* food. And I'd rather that be the case than my kid feel like food is the enemy.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I think it's okay, and even beneficial, for children to learn about calories. We learned about energy balance and calories in 3rd grade and it was the first thing I fell back on as an adult when I decided to lose weight. With that said, it needs to be structured and taught right. Telling kids to do pushups if they eat something or that it's normal to eat nothing but nuts for dinner (what a dumb choice anyway?) is not the right kind of information or delivery, especially to impressionable kids. I would take it up with the school.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    First of all kids need proper calorie intake for proper growth. If kids are active they should be able to eat what they want. If concerned about eating healthy teach healthy eating habits. They should not be counting calories and going to the extremes this teacher is teaching them.

She is setting those kids up for an eating disorder and she should be reported to the administration. I think that is absolutely horrible.

I would disagree with most of this. Children should never be allowed to eat what they want. They'd likely live on chips and candy. Parents should teach children how to eat properly - proper portions along with proper nutrition.

Yes and no. My girlfriend's ten year old son is a rare exception to this. Dude still has several huge bags of candy kicking around that were given to him as gifts about two years ago.

The screwed up part? He's starting to have weight problems. He doesn't eat what most would call "junk food", but he outeats his energy expenditure. I don't care if it's fruits, vegetables, lean meats and whole grains, too much of anything can cause fat gain problems. We all know this, so the people in this thread pretending like it doesn't apply to children are just baffling me.

I don't think anyone's pretending that this doesn't apply to children.

What people, myself included, are saying is that I don't think you should present the concept of healthy eating to elementary aged children in the way that this teacher apparently is.

I'd say maybe the way it was presented was probably not the best, but I don't think it should be left solely to the parents. Not trying to judge my future in-laws, but my fiancee's little brother is 7 and definitely overweight for his age. At home, he grabs chips and snacks at will, and he then barely eats anything for dinner. There are times that dinner is 5 minutes from done and he will grab snacks, and all they say is "well he is hungry". Sometimes parents don't exactly do their kids any favors

That's an excellent illustration of why the parents must be educated. No 7 year old is going to discipline himself about snacks just because a teacher told him to.

I certainly don't disagree with that

I don't disagree with that either.

A lot of parents should do a better job of educating their children on proper eating habits. I realize that sometimes that can be easier said than done and I'm sure certain people who are actual parents could get mad at me, someone who isn't one, for saying that they're doing a poor job of things, but that does't stop it from being the truth.

Have you looked at the newbie threads on MFP? How can we expect parents to educate their children on things that they are completely ignorant of? It takes months to wash the misconceptions and weirdness out of those that do learn, and some never actually change.

To be honest I skip those sometimes because my tendency is to snap at people for asking questions that I feel everyone should already know the answers to lol

I feel like I may have snapped at a few early on because I thought they were being purposely obtuse.

Women who don't know that weight increases during PMS/TOM??
    People who think you can't gain weight if you are eating healthy foods regardless of amount??
    People who think you will gain weight if you eat junk/fast food regardless of amount??

Can this be real life?

How to eat vegetables and how to drink water were my eye openers... how to drink water especially. I assumed that was just something you did to live... but no, apparently it's learned and some people grew up drinking kool aid and soda and don't know how to do it.

I didn't realize it at the time but thinking back I really was taught to drink water - whether I wanted to or not. The same with eating vegetables.

Me: "I'm thirsty"
    Mom: "Get a drink of water"
    Me: "I don't want water"
    Mom: "Then you're not thirsty"

The end. No one worried that I might get dehydrated or carried around juice boxes for me in case I got thirsty. Or if I was sent to bed without dinner for that matter. I doubt we'll go back to what I grew up with but we can't keep going on the way we are now that much is clear.

It all comes down to parenting, which many are reluctant to do. An 11 year old, very thin boy, who is reluctant to eat has issues coming from somewhere. Two parents that admitted having eating disorders. Where do you think at least part of the problem lies?
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    What I remember learning from when I was in elementary school in the 90s is that exercise is good for you, and you should use the food pyramid as a guide to healthy eating. We only had gym classes once or twice a week, but everyone looked forward to them as they were made to be fun and keep us moving. Lessons on how to eat really didn't extend beyond learning that pyramid, but they made sure we knew it every year. I don't think the food pyramid is a thing anymore, now it's "my plate" or something...but it's essentially the same message -- finding the right balance between highly nutritious food, and limiting the stuff that is higher in calories and/or is less nutritious.

Teachers can clearly be very influential on their students, so knowing that your child's teacher is sending an unhealthy message and setting a very poor example is definitely reason to speak up and demand change. Elementary school kids' bodies still have a long way to go before developing into full-sized adults -- trying to tamper with their nutrition by encouraging calorie restriction is basically abuse.
  • Calimom10
    Calimom10 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is COMPLETELY inappropriate. Teaching kids junk food is bad for them? Sure. Teaching kids they need to skip meals so they don't go over their calorie limit?? What the *kitten*???
    Sorry but I'd rather my kid be fat than have an eating disorder. It's also this kind of thinking that teaches kids it's okay to bully fat kids.
    Honestly, I'd take this up with the school. It's completely inappropriate.

Well, for a lot of people, being fat may be considered an eating disorder too.
    And it is never ok to bully, for any reason.

The OP does have a meeting scheduled with the principal and teacher. What I would be interested in finding out is whether she is going to seek professional help for her son. There is more to this than we know. It is not just about the teachers comments, which may, or may not, have been taken out of context.

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    calimom,
    Glad it worked out, and thanks for the stimulating thread!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Calimom10 wrote: »
    Update: meeting was today. The principal totally agreed and has put a temporary stop to any nutritional teaching in gym until they can implement a new plan. The gym teacher .. didn't deny telling the kids that she went to bed hungry after consuming her calories for the day.. she did get very defensive.. which the principal said was wrong of her to do. On a side note he even said after she left the room that he didn't even agree with the way she was teaching fitness. I'm not sure why she's still employed.

Also- to the person questioning yes I plan to seek professional help for my son.

Sounds like speaking to the principal was the right way to go. He/she can monitor the gym classes if necessary.

Side note: my Mom was a gym teacher for almost 40 years, mostly in Jr. High but she first taught HS. In those days, classes were segregated so she only taught girls. She did have to take height twice a year and weight every month. If a girl was significantly overweight, she would schedule a conference with the parents and discuss nutrition, etc. and encourage the parents to seek medical/dietician help.

These days, gym is fitness, sports, and health. Nutrition instruction as part of overall health instruction is a great thing for all ages and I have no problem with it. Telling little kids that they need to count calories, etc. is not appropriate.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sounds like a great time for a real chat to your son about all the issues associated with eating, and exercise and nutrition including your own experience. Do your best to turn this into a teaching moment for your son, including that he needs to think about IF what the teachers are saying is true. I think the best thing you can do for him is to make sure that he trusts you with how he's feeling so that if/when he does have issues or anything else, that he can come to you for advice.

Beyond that I think a respectful chat with teacher is a good idea.