Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Elementary School Gym teachers telling kids to restrict calories!

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Is it appropriate? Of course! This is the gym teacher. Nutrition and diet go hand in hand with physical education.

Evidence of a genetic link to eating disorder is tentative at best. Behavior is the dominant factor here.

As for the context - this person needs to get a better understanding of the basics of weight management and refine their communication skill.

OP - your kid is the outlier. The gym teacher needs to make a statement about this. You should initiate a conversation with this person to get first hand understanding of what was said, then you need to have a discussion with your kid and explain this. You could even establish a calorie chart to ensure that he is getting enough calories to hit his goals.
  • CovetedRebel
    CovetedRebel Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    On one hand, I think it is important to teach kids how to read nutrition labels, what calories actually are, teach them about healthy food choices, and the effects of eating a diet of mostly junk. Educating children about a healthy lifestyle is extremely important. Studies have shown that when children are educated and are given the choice, they make better eating decisions all on their own without anything being forced on them.
    But this teacher is obviously going about it the wrong way. Telling children they have to calorie count and basically skip meals? That's pretty much encouraging eating disorders. Either those kids will take that to heart and and severely limited their calories, or they may start to see most foods as out of bounds and want it more, I know I always want junk food more when I tell myself I can't have it, and start binging.
    Anyway you look at it, that's promoting an unhealthy relationship with food. If I were you, I honestly would be throwing a fit about this teacher.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Is it appropriate? Of course! This is the gym teacher. Nutrition and diet go hand in hand with physical education.

Nutrition and diet are appropriate. The teacher's approach, projecting her own disordered thinking and poor choices onto the students, is not.

Projection? Disordered thinking? You've heard from one side of the story - told secondhand.

Projection abounds in this thread.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    This kind of thread really illustrates to me WHY 50% of new teachers quit within the first 5 years.

Why would this be? The best course of action is to passive aggressively make comments on an internet forum with a collection of strangers...not confronting the issue and individual directly. Seems like a rational course of action to me. I expect good results. Scratch that...I expect great results.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

Nutrition and diet are appropriate. The teacher's approach, projecting her own disordered thinking and poor choices onto the students, is not.

lol, I read that the teacher had set personal consequences for his/her behavior. Nothing disordered about skimping on dinner when you've pigged out earlier in the same day.

That is fine for her but she does not need to project her own issues onto 11 year old kids.

You are the one doing projection here. Teachers are expected to share their own experience when it is relative to the instruction. A gym teacher talking about how he sometimes eats badly and responds is not an 'evil'
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I just knew my kiddo was full of kittens when he was in second grade. We are putting a lot of faith in this kid without hearing the teacher's side.

Secondly the op stated that the principal had wondered why he kept this teacher employed at his school. I seriously doubt he would say this out loud to anyone especially the parent.

Yep discussion of an employmennt issue with parents is a quick path to a lawsuit.

Plus throwing the teacher under the bus in front of parents, even if.the teacher was wrong gives a bad precident to other teachers and how the principal supports his staff.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    When I was growing up discussions like this were a normal part of health or even physical education. Now, they did not tell us to count calories, the discussion was usually geared more toward not over eating in general and not eating too much junk, along with the importance of physical activity. These lessons were never an issue because they weren't like what you mention here. Have a talk with the principal, if that fails go to the board of education.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Most schools have packets that parents have to sign so they can see what curriculum is covered in classes. I had to sigh off on movies shown, and just recently information for sex education.
    So if a parent signed off and the PE teacher is allowed to teach about nutrition in the curriculum, parent is SOL. In the very end, it's still up to the parent instill the habits they want their kids to follow.
    Let me just say that I don't think this teacher may have it altogether on her nutrition.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]

• dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I truly believe that nutrition needs to be taught in school, however the way this teacher went about it wrong. you don't restrict claories, you don't work off every meal, and you definatly don't tell them you eat nuts for dinner cause you don't have any calories left.

my sons are in elementary school and already are learning about nutrition in 4th grade. however they are learning why what you eat has more importance than how much you eat. they are learning about making healthy choices and choosing wise treat in moderation. this last week they made vegetarian chili in one of their classes with help from this group.

http://www.purefoodkids.org/

and brought home recipe cards to the families. in our house eating healthy is not a struggle but I think a program that teaches the children and inturn the parents is greatly needed across America.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

lol, I read that the teacher had set personal consequences for his/her behavior. Nothing disordered about skimping on dinner when you've pigged out earlier in the same day.

That is fine for her but she does not need to project her own issues onto 11 year old kids.

You are the one doing projection here. Teachers are expected to share their own experience when it is relative to the instruction. A gym teacher talking about how he sometimes eats badly and responds is not an 'evil'

The teacher confirmed everything when confronted by the Principal. No projecting here.
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If the teacher or the school want to teach kids about appropriate eating they should bring in a nutritionist or a dietitian.