Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Elementary School Gym teachers telling kids to restrict calories!

Replies

• Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    My son is in cub scouts, and they had to learn about calorie counting for a recent badge. He's in fourth grade, and has no concept of obesity, weight loss, or calorie counting. They tracked calories for a week. They talked about how many calories were in what types of foods.

I think it is absolute hogwash. It's worse than worthless; it is truly damaging advice. However, I didn't try to say anything about it during his scouts meeting. I know that the vast majority of people are largely misinformed. At home, I make up for this mainstream garbage by sharing evidence-based nutrition information. Calories are a meaningless measurement, based on no concrete evidence concerning human physiology. No calorie study ever has shown that people actually lose or gain weight in direct proportion to calories-in-calories-out.

I teach my children how to distinguish real, nutrient-dense food from processed, nutrient-poor foods. How to avoid the latter in order to avoid both obesity and a whole slew of chronic illnesses. I teach them how to enjoy the rich and wholesome foods given to us by nature. I also cook almost every meal and pack their lunches at school. IMO, children should not be learning industry-sponsored dogma to count calories, they should be learning sound nutritional principles for understanding what their growing bodies need--however, if we were to do that, we wouldn't turn them into hungry little obesity-prone consumers of cheap, but profitable processed foods.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    For those who tend towards analysis paralysis, you could have used google.

CDC is reliable source
    https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/index.html

Or what about the NIH
    https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-statistics/Pages/overweight-obesity-statistics.aspx
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Theo166 wrote: »
    The attitudes expressed here help explain why obesity is rampant in our young.
    This is a trend we can't allow to persist

childhood-obesity-bmi.gif

I am concerned about childhood obesity - even though, as I understand it, there are some recent signs of possible improvement in the rates. But this chart kinda makes me SMH.

As an infographic, it uses several of the tricks for manipulating perception of statistics. It shows percentages, but cuts off the top end before 100, which tends to make those numbers seem like a higher proportion of some imputed whole. The visual presentation is as if it's tilted away from us, which makes us perceive the bars as taller, too.

Is it wrong? Not that I know of. But it's the infographic equivalent of prose with lots of scary adjectives, and excess underlines and exclamation points. It's trying to play us.

You could look at it in two ways:
    1. Yikes! The obesity rate has doubled for young children, and tripled for teens!!!
    2. Though there's been material increase in obesity rates, five out of six children or teens - the overwhelming majority - are not obese.

I'm not saying either interpretation is right or wrong. I'm saying the chart is loading the dice for interpretation #1.

Pffftttt. Your logic and critical thinking skills have no place here. Don't you know that sensationalized infographics are where the truth lies!

(Snort!)

Thanks, @WinoGelato - I needed that. ;)

But while I'm at it: Why is a 4-year period (1976-80) being compared to a 6 year period (1988-94) and a 2-year period (1999-2000). (What does a population percent over a multi-year time period even mean, anyway?) And why are there gaps between those time periods?

Smells like data manipulation!

LOL.

I wish there was a way to correlate (cause hey, everyone knows correlation is all you need!) infographics with a specific behavior change...

I feel that infographics strongly contribute to the dumbing down of society because people can be influenced by the way the infographics represent (or misrepresent) scientific data and people draw errant conclusions from that information, which can influence their behavior.

Infographics don't have to do this. Good data visualizations are incredibly helpful. It's like broad-audience writing about science: Most of it is awful, manipulative (intentionally, or not), and misleading. But the best tiny percentage is really excellent, and adds to insight.

What we need is a more discriminating quality of consumer. But I'm not sure how we do that.

Apologies - I'm off topic.

Good points, though.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Aren't 1/3 of Americans obese and another 1/3 of us overweight? It seems like the teacher is trying to teach the kids to eat healthily. I would imagine that there is a curriculum that she teaches from, few teachers just make it up. I would first CONFIRM that the teacher is teaching kids to count calories. If so I would explain to the TEACHER about eating for strength, and limiting "treats" such as Pepsi and candy bars. If she is teaching in accordance with the curriculum or doesn't see the wisdom of your ways, talk to the department head, principal, superintendent, PTA, etc., especially to get the CURRICULUM changed.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    When I was a kid, I probably ate about 5,000 calories a day and could never fatten up at all. I was always really skinny. Even in high school I wasn't extraordinarily active but still couldn't build muscle or add some fat.

I know all kids are different but I do wonder what it would have taken for me to become an obese kid (not that I was trying).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    I would imagine that there is a curriculum that she teaches from

Based on what has been said in the thread, no, this does not seem to be the case.

I'm all for teaching nutrition, healthy eating, what calories are, etc., but that really does not seem to be what happened in this anecdote, and if you haven't read the follow up it's worth doing so.
  • mayafit405
    mayafit405 Posts: 61 Member
    I'd be pissed. IMO , encouraging children to make better food choices is more important than having them " watch their calories ." What qualifications does this physical education teacher have to be giving nutritional advice? I encourage you to continue to keep an open dialogue with your son about food ( like you've been doing ) and possibly consider seeing a couselor if you feel it's necessary . I have a family history of eating disorders as well so I totally understand where you're coming from.

Best of luck <3
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    edited March 2017
    It sounds to me like the teacher is a NUT. She had to eat a handful of nuts for dinner bc she went over her calories? Why was that even useful information for a 2nd grader? And who does that ? Maybe she should be teaching kids, like we tell each other on here, hey if you mess up one day, dust it off and start over the next day. Sounds to me like she needs some help outside of the classroom... yes you teach kids about eating healthy and physical activity... but this crazy lady sounds like shes trying to teach them into low self esteem and eating disorders. Nothing to do with being "butthurt"ugh anytime anyone uses the term "butthurt" i know there is no real conversation to be had with them.
  • Crisseyda
    edited March 2017
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Crisseyda wrote: »
    My son is in cub scouts, and they had to learn about calorie counting for a recent badge. He's in fourth grade, and has no concept of obesity, weight loss, or calorie counting. They tracked calories for a week. They talked about how many calories were in what types of foods.

I think it is absolute hogwash. It's worse than worthless; it is truly damaging advice. However, I didn't try to say anything about it during his scouts meeting. I know that the vast majority of people are largely misinformed. At home, I make up for this mainstream garbage by sharing evidence-based nutrition information. Calories are a meaningless measurement, based on no concrete evidence concerning human physiology. No calorie study ever has shown that people actually lose or gain weight in direct proportion to calories-in-calories-out.

I teach my children how to distinguish real, nutrient-dense food from processed, nutrient-poor foods. How to avoid the latter in order to avoid both obesity and a whole slew of chronic illnesses. I teach them how to enjoy the rich and wholesome foods given to us by nature. I also cook almost every meal and pack their lunches at school. IMO, children should not be learning industry-sponsored dogma to count calories, they should be learning sound nutritional principles for understanding what their growing bodies need--however, if we were to do that, we wouldn't turn them into hungry little obesity-prone consumers of cheap, but profitable processed foods.

Just curious, what type of evidence based nutrition information are you referring to? I believe most people with a PhD in nutrition behind their name would not consider calories a meaningless measure.

Oh, really? @Packerjohn Do you have a PhD in nutrition behind your name? Maybe you can explain the deep scientific validity of the calorie. Your response demonstrates a classic logical fallacy known as an appeal to authority. It sounds convincing, but actually undermines the soundness your argument.

A calorie is a measurement of energy--originating from chemical engineering work with heat engines. In chemistry, it is the amount of energy required to raise 1 gm of water by 1 degree Celsius. The calories you see on food packages are actually kilo-calories. The kilo-calories in food were originally determined by placing the food in a bomb calorimeter, a sealed container surrounded by water. The food was burned and the resulting rise in water temperature was measured. Now the calorie content of the majority of food is determined indirectly by estimations based on the macro-nutrient composition--this estimation is also based on estimations for fat (9 calories), protein (4 calories), and carbohydrate (4 calories). This whole theory is based on the assumption that the human body uses food energy in the same way as a bomb calorimeter--and also that the human body directly burns all calories. This is false on many levels. Our bodies can use different types of calories for a wide variety of uses: building tissues or enzymes, replenishing lost glycogen, burning energy, or storing body fat. Even the fact that a pound of human body fat equals 3,500 calories is speculation based on the estimation that human fat tissue is approximately 87% fat by weight.

1lb ~ 454 gm
    454 gm x 87% ~ 395 gm
    395 gm x 9 calories ~ 3,555 calories

Again, this formula is based on math estimations, not human physiology, and it has never been proven directly by any human study. Instead, evidence shows that the human body resists weight loss and weight gain through a variety of hormonal processes, by slowing or increasing BMR as needed. Human physiology is far more complicated than a calorie theory can encompass. Trusting in calories-in-calories-out for weight loss is the reason why all dieting consistently fails across the board, why obesity is rampant, and why mainstream seems confounded with understanding why (but certainly happy with all the profits on processed food, dieting products, and finally pharmaceuticals).
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Glad to see the meeting went well and that the administration is now paying attention.

I have no issue with teaching kids about calories. My issue is in teaching kids to put emotional or moral value on food. And it sounds like this is what she was doing. She also seems to have come to the topic from the direction of "don't get fat!" instead of a more appropriate "let's be healthy."

I want my 3 kids to know what a balanced diet looks like, and I want them to be accustomed to eating that way. I want them to know how much food their bodies need (not too much, not too little, and how activity level affects it), and calories are a good way to get a handle on that. And I want them to be able to self-regulate and make informed choices. Knowledge can help them do that.

All of this can be taught at home (especially the normalizing of healthy eating patterns), but I have no objection to information being shared by teachers or anyone else.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    I am a firm believer that eating healthy, along with many many other topics, should be taught at home.

Seeing as childhood obesity is on the rise, we're failing as parents to do it. So, it must be taught, somewhere, since it's not happening at home.

FWIW, human nutrition is a very science-based topic, and as such, should be taught in schools. Parents are not Dietitians.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member

To the bolded:

http://www.completehumanperformance.com/why-calories-count/
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Uh, I did the same activity with my 4th grade cub scout. It's pretty straightforward and a really good biology and health lesson. Calories are scientifically proven and a high school student can do an experiment to see how it is determined. It's a unit of measurement as standard as a meter or a joule.
  • Crisseyda
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Just curious, what type of evidence based nutrition information are you referring to? I believe most people with a PhD in nutrition behind their name would not consider calories a meaningless measure.

Oh, really? @Packerjohn Do you have a PhD in nutrition behind your name? Maybe you can explain the deep scientific validity of the calorie. Your response demonstrates a classic logical fallacy known as an appeal to authority. It sounds convincing, but actually undermines the soundness your argument.

A calorie is a measurement of energy--originating from chemical engineering work with heat engines. In chemistry, it is the amount of energy required to raise 1 gm of water by 1 degree Celsius. The calories you see on food packages are actually kilo-calories. The kilo-calories in food were originally determined by placing the food in a bomb calorimeter, a sealed container surrounded by water. The food was burned and the resulting rise in water temperature was measured. Now the calorie content of the majority of food is determined indirectly by estimations based on the macro-nutrient composition--this estimation is also based on estimations for fat (9 calories), protein (4 calories), and carbohydrate (4 calories). This whole theory is based on the assumption that the human body uses food energy in the same way as a bomb calorimeter--and also that the human body directly burns all calories. This is false on many levels. Our bodies can use different types of calories for a wide variety of uses: building tissues or enzymes, replenishing lost glycogen, burning energy, or storing body fat. Even the fact that a pound of human body fat equals 3,500 calories is speculation based on the estimation that human fat tissue is approximately 87% fat by weight.

1lb ~ 454 gm
    454 gm x 87% ~ 395 gm
    395 gm x 9 calories ~ 3,555 calories

Again, this formula is based on math estimations, not human physiology, and it has never been proven directly by any human study. Instead, evidence shows that the human body resists weight loss and weight gain through a variety of hormonal processes, by slowing or increasing BMR as needed. Human physiology is far more complicated than a calorie theory can encompass. Trusting in calories-in-calories-out for weight loss is the reason why all dieting consistently fails across the board, why obesity is rampant, and why mainstream seems confounded with understanding why (but certainly happy with all the profits on processed food, dieting products, and finally pharmaceuticals).

I do not have a PhD in physiology. However, this guy does:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-do-food-manufacturers/

And, I hate to break it to you: We are chemical engines, that do work. You might be shocked: A Calorie is also a unit of work.

@coreyreichle Did you read that guy's article? He simply explained exactly what I did. Again, no scientific evidence that the human body works like a bomb calorimeter.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member

LOL - wait wut?!

Science disagrees with you.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    First of all kids need proper calorie intake for proper growth. If kids are active they should be able to eat what they want. If concerned about eating healthy teach healthy eating habits. They should not be counting calories and going to the extremes this teacher is teaching them.

She is setting those kids up for an eating disorder and she should be reported to the administration. I think that is absolutely horrible.

I would disagree with most of this. Children should never be allowed to eat what they want. They'd likely live on chips and candy. Parents should teach children how to eat properly - proper portions along with proper nutrition.

I should revise what I said. I certainly don't advocate them eating junk food all day long. I meant eat as much as they want until they are full. Not feeling like they should have to restrict calories. My sons played sports throughout their youth so when we had dinner if they were hungry I let them eat until they were full. And my oldest could put away some food. Because they are so active they burn it off fast. They are grown men and they make good food choices and they very active by working out.

I bolded a very problematic statement here.

Nobody should be eating until they are full. If you are getting the "full feeling", you've ate too much. And, because we are teaching lessons like this to our kids, they are becoming obese.

Well my sons are 25 and 22. They have very little body fat, lift weights every day and have no weight problem whatsoever. So it worked in my household.