Apple Cider vinegar and Activated Charcoal

Options

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I really thought we were done with the ACV threads, but they just keep on coming.

Tons of ads on Pinterest and a few weeks ago I googled "weight loss" and an ACV ad was 1 st and 2nd to pop up.

People find it hard that I'm 50 and just learned about CICO and TDEE because it's out there but honestly this ACV stuff comes up first.

I should do a google search and see what page CICO comes up? Of course I'd be embarrassed if it was on the first page of the search lol.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ACV is fantastic for a lot of things:

If you microwave it, it makes your microwave easy to clean. (So does white - but apple smells better.)

Mix it with olive oil and it makes a lovely furniture cleaner and polish.

Diluted with water, it cured my dog's ringworm after three different prescription products failed. Really! I swear by it as a doggie shampoo rinse.

It helps dandruff too - in humans!

It's a vital ingredients in several tasty marinades.

But I don't think it'll help you lose weight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Apple cider is disgusting stuff to chug down straight up, not to mention the damage it will do to your teeth. I did the shots for a little while and it put me off of vinegar forever, and no, it did nothing for weight loss.

k4sbczlm9nx2.gif

• hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I will add this. Any time you drink an 8 oz glass of plain water before meal it will curb over eating/ suppress appetite ( which apple cidar vinegar supposedly does) So my question is.... Is it the vinegar or the plain water? My guess... Plain water. Why not just not go over daily calories and call it a day?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What can be the harm in trying you ask OP? Activated charcoal is what is provided as an emergency treatment for someone who has been poisoned. It causes the poison to bind to the surface of the charcoal (adsorbtion), rather than being absorbed into the blood stream and metabolic processes. Additionally, and more concerning, it can cause other substances to bind to it, including prescription medications, food nutrients, vitamins, etc. The charcoal stays in your body with those substances bound to it until your body expels it during a bowel movement.

Does that sound like something that you think is a healthy substance to ingest on a regular basis?

If you are reading about the benefits of ACV and activated charcoal "everywhere", you need to find some new reading material and new sources. Whatever site you are looking at, stop visiting that site. These are not substances that will be beneficial for weight loss and it is a travesty that so many people are being deluded into thinking that this woo is something they should consider to "push your weight loss". Why do you think your weight loss needs to be pushed? You are already losing at the most aggressive pace that is recommended, and it is only recommended for people with more than 75 lbs to lose.

^^ +1 to the above. Do not take activated charcoal unless it is necessary to treat acute poisoning.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    tasha12004 wrote: »
    that's what I was thinking as well. I tried to take a shot of that stuff and it was absolutely the most disgusting stuff ever. (apple cider vinegar) But it does taste great mixed with some avacado oil for salad dressing :)

Well, sure. It's really good as the acid when making collards, too.

I like it on cooked cabbage too, tastes great.

It also makes a great hot bacon dressing for fresh spinach salad. If you burn part of the bacon you can get your charcoal in too.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Activated charcoal binds to toxins (such as drugs and other chemicals) in the gut before they can be absorbed. It's used in cases of acute poisoning. Like if someone overdosed on tablets.

It's used more frequently than gastric lavage (getting your stomach pumped) for overdose etc.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Sorry op i havent tried it
    Vingegar with charcoal would never pass these lips sounds gross
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Activated charcoal is great in my fish tank filter. Seriously not food but great in fish tank
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    andrea4736 wrote: »
    I take activated charcoal for gas, lol. Doesn't do anything for weight loss though.

This! Activated charcoal is great for some gut issues, but it's not going to magically melt fat off your body. Neither will ACV, though it makes a tasty salad dressing.

It can also help mitigate certain poisons. If you're vulnerable to assassination by poisoning.

Aren't we all? ;)
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    andrea4736 wrote: »
    I take activated charcoal for gas, lol. Doesn't do anything for weight loss though.

This! Activated charcoal is great for some gut issues, but it's not going to magically melt fat off your body. Neither will ACV, though it makes a tasty salad dressing.

It can also help mitigate certain poisons. If you're vulnerable to assassination by poisoning.

Judging by the meal ive just been served by family maybe i should grab some
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    amymbrush wrote: »
    I recently read that taking activated charcoal without medical supervision can be dangerous. They do administer in hospital for drug overdose, etc, but that is a life and death situation. I don't believe doctor's know everything, but I have seen numerous warnings out their about taking charcoal. I do use it in face masks and tooth powder, just decided not to take orally. I read recently that taking apple cider vinegar for weight loss is a little like trying to bail out a flooding boat with a teaspoon. It may help, but not enough to really make it worth it. I think when people drink the morning concoction you see, it is starting their metabolism up in the morning (usually people that don't eat breakfast) , which will help you lose weight, but you won't lose that type of weight consistently as your body adjusts.

Your body doesn't need something in the morning to start the metabolism.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    amymbrush wrote: »
    I recently read that taking activated charcoal without medical supervision can be dangerous. They do administer in hospital for drug overdose, etc, but that is a life and death situation. I don't believe doctor's know everything, but I have seen numerous warnings out their about taking charcoal. I do use it in face masks and tooth powder, just decided not to take orally. I read recently that taking apple cider vinegar for weight loss is a little like trying to bail out a flooding boat with a teaspoon. It may help, but not enough to really make it worth it. I think when people drink the morning concoction you see, it is starting their metabolism up in the morning (usually people that don't eat breakfast) , which will help you lose weight, but you won't lose that type of weight consistently as your body adjusts.

Your body doesn't need something in the morning to start the metabolism.

^^^ This. If your metabolism wasn't running 24/7 you'd be dead. ;)