Let's try again...lolol and talk about fasting...the pros and the cons!!

Options
Stats
150-152lbs
5'9
32 male
16%bf
Wanna get down to at least 10%
Current kcall daily I try not to break 1600
Protein calories about 1000kcal that's about 1lb and 4oz of chicken drumsticks and 2 or 3 harboiled eggs. The rest of calories come from bananas, apples ,oranges and hot chocolate daily in the morning. I try to eat all of the above mentioned by at least 3pm then break my fast again at 6am I also have one cheat day where I'll coname more carbs from fruits and quinoa beans brown rice adding up about 3000 then the next day I really don't eat anything and I feel great!! Barely any weight gain....anyone like fasting?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Like I said in your other thread, I only fast for medical reasons.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Eat less than 20g net carbs per day (carbs minus fiber). Eat all the fat and protein you want. Joy ensues.

Why????
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    So you fast from 3pm to 6am?
    An you refeed once a week?

Are you just looking for other fasters, or is there a question?
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Eat less than 20g net carbs per day (carbs minus fiber). Eat all the fat and protein you want. Joy ensues.

Yeah, if I did that, gut cramps and a day on the toilet would ensue, not joy...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You don't gain weight because your are under eating not because you're fasting.

Your diet is severely deficient. Get help.

This. I also told you in your other thread that you are under eating. I'm the same height as you, the same age as you, and at that body fat (which is around where I compete at) I'm 175 pounds. I'm also a woman and I don't go below 1600 when cutting. Ever.

You need to eat more. If your picture is current you should stop trying to lose weight for a while and fix your hormones. Eating 1600 calories followed by a 3,000 calorie binge and a ZERO calorie day isn't helping your hormones which in turn is making it so you are forced to eat less and less which in turn is destroying your lean mass. A true refeed for the deficit you are doing is going to be a few weeks long. You aren't improving your hormonal profile with a single day refeed followed by a complete fasting day.
  • alexrosader
    alexrosader Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Looking for other fasters and would like stats, experience on how fasting has helped or not helped basically. I mention fasting and the whole room goes wild, maybe because there are a lot of "cookie monsters" or "snack craving" lunatics that mistake hunger for a lack of NOT DRINKING WATER OR STAYING PROPERLY HYDRATED
  • alexrosader
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You don't gain weight because your are under eating not because you're fasting.

Your diet is severely deficient. Get help.

This. I also told you in your other thread that you are under eating. I'm the same height as you, the same age as you, and at that body fat (which is around where I compete at) I'm 175 pounds. I'm also a woman and I don't go below 1600 when cutting. Ever.

You need to eat more. If your picture is current you should stop trying to lose weight for a while and fix your hormones. Eating 1600 calories followed by a 3,000 calorie binge and a ZERO calorie day isn't helping your hormones which in turn is making it so you are forced to eat less and less which in turn is destroying your lean mass. A true refeed for the deficit you are doing is going to be a few weeks long. You aren't improving your hormonal profile with a single day refeed followed by a complete fasting day.

I hover around 150-155 when bulking. To me a bulking diet consists of about 1500kcal-1800kcal ($pECIFIC FOR me because i am a small individual)Going up to 2000 calories makes me feel bloated even if I split up 2000 caories throughout the day and I don't even feEl like eating food after 3pm unless it's a fruit. I binge on natural foods NOT pizza or pasta or candy I've done that already last year and although it was great to have a day of eating candybars, oatmealwith honey, cookies crap like that I did gain some soft water retention around my gut and I don't like that. Now I cheat with fruits, brown rice, sweet potato, quinoa and it's not as bad as cheating with processed white starches. My picture is from about 3 weeks ago.
    My hormones are fine my body has adapted.
    I'm not going over 2000kcal daily if I do I will look like a water buffalo, or look like a soft polar bear, I'm not comfortable with that.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Pros - You get to eat more food during the times you're not fasting.
    Cons - You're hungry during the times you are fasting.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I do a fairly standard 18:6 (ish) during the week... weekends are a crapshoot based on kids/family stuff. I typically work out either first thing in the morning, or on my lunch break, and I typically start eating mid-afternoon. I stop eating when I'm done eating... that could e 7pm, could be 10pm. I don't get crazy about the timing.

I'm 5' 8" and can be anywhere from 160-180 depending on goals and time of year.
    I've been as low as 10.5% BF.
    Hard cutting is 1800 cals per day, maintenance is around 2300. Both net. Both are reasonable approximations based on how I estimate/log.

It hasn't done anything special for me... but it lines up well with my natural preferences (I prefer to work out fasted, I prefer to eat more in the evenings, I prefer bigger meals and feeling full) and I like having the degree of structure it gives.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Looking for other fasters and would like stats, experience on how fasting has helped or not helped basically. I mention fasting and the whole room goes wild, maybe because there are a lot of "cookie monsters" or "snack craving" lunatics that mistake hunger for a lack of NOT DRINKING WATER OR STAYING PROPERLY HYDRATED

I'll take being called a cookie monster and lunatic over crybaby any day.

You'd get let push-back if you'd stop insulting people.

I don't fast because I don't like how it makes me feel mentally. I have enough mental issues without being consumed over clock-watching until my next feeding window.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I fast weight control. Once a week I fast for 36 hrs (10 pm Sun - 10 am Tues). On Wed - Fri I usually fast from around 9:30 - 10 pm until at least 1:00 pm the next day (usually more like 2-2:30).

But my diet is nowhere as strict as yours and I eat over maintenance on both Sat and Sun.

Do you only eat vegetables on your cheat day, or not at all?
  • alexrosader
    Options
    I fast weight control. Once a week I fast for 36 hrs (10 pm Sun - 10 am Tues). On Wed - Fri I usually fast from around 9:30 - 10 pm until at least 1:00 pm the next day (usually more like 2-2:30).

But my diet is nowhere as strict as yours and I eat over maintenance on both Sat and Sun.

On cheat day I eat 3000 calories in chicken , sausage, but mostly fruits, apples, bananas, oranges, sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa, maybe oatmeal if it's available in my cabinet. Next day I fast 20 hours I'd say then it's back to dieting again