For those of you who aren't SUPER FIT-yep they are judging us.

Options

Replies

• BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    BABetter1 wrote: »
    JoRocka, agree to disagree. She didn't say he randomly walked up and started yelling. She said she caught them talking about how stupid she was, and when she called them out on it, dude started screaming.

As far as being an adult and figuring out "if" you "let" that affect you or not . . . different people with different personalities are affected differently by events in their lives (good or bad). I wish it was just as simple as deciding. Granted, I am older now, and I don't let people slide on their rudeness. That helps, no regrets of wishing I had said something.

Well, we only know her side of the story too. Maybe she was super confrontational both times. From her paragraph, you can tell she had preconceived notions about the other people. Since she had already stereotyped them, they may have been doomed from the start in an interaction with her, regardless of their actual demeanor.

You have a valid point.
  • BABetter1
    Options
    FatMoojor, fair enough. You have made valid points. One question, though. How do you go back and look at someone else' post history? I agree that this could color one's reading of a current post.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Wow. Another lucky person who has never been treated like crap by a total stranger and so assumes that the OP must have been the offender. While I can see your point as to how the 20 year old might have taken OP's comment the wrong way, I disagree with your assertion about how some people (me being one of them) seem to meet all the arseholes and never seem to realize . . . . Go back and read my examples. And explain to me how I was the arsehole in those situations. On second thought, don't. Too many people on this thread have already all but called OP an out and out liar. I'm sure the same is in store for me.

Either way, generalizing a whole group of people as judgmental because of one personal incident isn't exactly non confrontational.
  • BABetter1
    Options
    Wow. Another lucky person who has never been treated like crap by a total stranger and so assumes that the OP must have been the offender. While I can see your point as to how the 20 year old might have taken OP's comment the wrong way, I disagree with your assertion about how some people (me being one of them) seem to meet all the arseholes and never seem to realize . . . . Go back and read my examples. And explain to me how I was the arsehole in those situations. On second thought, don't. Too many people on this thread have already all but called OP an out and out liar. I'm sure the same is in store for me.

Either way, generalizing a whole group of people as judgmental because of one personal incident isn't exactly non confrontational.

True.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor, fair enough. You have made valid points. One question, though. How do you go back and look at someone else' post history? I agree that this could color one's reading of a current post.

If you use the search function, you can select one of the filters to be author. You can then put a users name in that field and find all posts by them.
  • hpacaro
    hpacaro Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I always thought, no one is judging you because you aren't super fit. But I was always super fit looking at the gym. Now this shows me I was wrong. Just because I'm silently cheering on people who are new or who are looking to get back into things, doesn't mean anything. I'm the exception, not the rule.

I think this is a great sentence that highlights the difference between "fit" and "healthy". What I've come to learn is that the two are not synonyms. Some (not all) of the most fit people I know are some of the unhealthiest I know, because they've chosen not to work on their emotional well being with the same discipline they give to their bodies. A healthy brain is compassionate and as you said, silently (or loudly) cheering for the people around them. Giving value to others so they can have the same type of healthy experience. When someone chooses to make a snide comment around me, I just simply remember that their comments are more about them and their state of mind... not about me.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

I was actually going to respond to your earlier post but the day happened as it is wont to. Regarding calling out people for rude behavior, note that that's what the dog owner thought he was doing!! He was calling out your husband because he thought he'd said vile things about his dog. You may not have been the offender, but thinking that you were was enough to ruin this man's day and lead him to start a verbal altercation. Not saying I've never reacted poorly, but when given a chance to think about it, I just don't see the upside to proving myself to any kind of stranger. Which leads me to something I've noticed in your and the OPs stories have in common...

I'm starting to really agree with many of the earlier comments. You felt timid, and the OP feels insecure. When not in that situation there's minimal need to prove yourself to someone who matters little to nothing in the grand scheme of things. So they might think I'm some kind of moron. Yeah, uh okay. So what?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Is there a message in this for the rest of us?
    That we who share the gym with others need to keep an eye out for rude, bullying behavior and be ready to try to help intervene -- in a manner supports common courtesy but tries to be non-confrontational?
    I think I would be really pumped to see a mom working out with her kid.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you just ran into some not nice people. I'm not super fit-looking and have never had anything like this happen to me even once.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Is there a message in this for the rest of us?
    That we who share the gym with others need to keep an eye out for rude, bullying behavior and be ready to try to help intervene -- in a manner supports common courtesy but tries to be non-confrontational?
    I think I would be really pumped to see a mom working out with her kid.

I'd like to think that if I saw someone being an asshat to anyone at the gym that I'd intervene, at the least by getting management. I've never seen it, though. Not even in the gym I used to use as a teenager that catered to bodybuilders and power lifters (I wasn't one or trying to be one, but my PT worked there).

The biggest problems I've seen at the gym are people not putting equipment back, or leaving their stuff sitting on equipment while they go gab it up somewhere else. The most 'rudeness' I've experienced has been unsolicited advice - and it was well meant, just misplaced, and one goofball that thought tapping me on the shoulder and saying 'great job' while I was in the middle of doing heavy bench press was a good idea.

Oh, an in case there's a question. I don't look super-fit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    rml_16 wrote: »
    It sounds like you just ran into some not nice people. I'm not super fit-looking and have never had anything like this happen to me even once.
    but we are only one or two people who have never run into an as* at the gym.

/sarcasm
  • BABetter1
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I was actually going to respond to your earlier post but the day happened as it is wont to. Regarding calling out people for rude behavior, note that that's what the dog owner thought he was doing!! He was calling out your husband because he thought he'd said vile things about his dog. You may not have been the offender, but thinking that you were was enough to ruin this man's day and lead him to start a verbal altercation. Not saying I've never reacted poorly, but when given a chance to think about it, I just don't see the upside to proving myself to any kind of stranger. Which leads me to something I've noticed in your and the OPs stories have in common...

I'm starting to really agree with many of the earlier comments. You felt timid, and the OP feels insecure. When not in that situation there's minimal need to prove yourself to someone who matters little to nothing in the grand scheme of things. So they might think I'm some kind of moron. Yeah, uh okay. So what?

I am also starting to agree with many earlier comments. But . . . you and I will definitely have to agree to disagree with what you apparently have concluded about me. Allow me to clarify a few things: Dog owner did NOT call my husband out for rude behavior, real or perceived. Husband was rude to no one. The dog owner eavesdropped and misheard a conversation that had nothing to do with him. I do NOT believe the dog owner thought hubby was specifically referring to his dog. In fact, it was probably the only dog at the place the child didn't touch, and that was simply because he didn't see it. Actually, the explanation we were given implied dog owner thought we were maligning "dogs" in general. Not at all true by the way. We also have a dog, a breed that is considered agressive. I simply mentioned, IMHO, the dog owner was sensitive to criticism of dogs as dangerous because his was a very specific, very much maligned, but also potentially aggressive, breed. The rudeness in that situation started when dog owner eavesdropped on a private, QUIET conversation. He had to be listening pretty intently to hear any of it, and that is also why he misheard it. Perhaps if he had not been eavesdropping, his day wouldn't have been ruined by his own misperception. I will NOT take responsibility for ruining someone else' day with my private conversation unless I am talking specifically about that person. The rudeness became known and escalated when dog owner decided to call my husband a very offensive expletive. Note that calling people vicious names with zero context, zero prior interaction or knowledge is very different from calling someone out for perceived rudeness. Had the dog owner said something about how he didn't appreciate husband's comment about XYZ (this is what I mean about calling someone out for rudeness), there might still have been some hard feelings (you know, for the eavesdropping and getting involved in a stranger's child rearing choices). But the misunderstanding would more than likely have been cleared up immediately and certainly with less animosity. As to my feeling timid: That was 20 plus years ago that rude people made me feel timid or intimidated. I am no longer intimidated by the rude. And the reason that I call out the rudeness isn't because I think rude @hats will think I'm a moron if I don't, and it's not about proving myself to them. It's simply about standing up for myself. And, I want the rude @hats to think twice before their next assumption, eavesdrop, or outburst against a total stranger. As you alluded to in an earlier comment, they really have way too much confidence in the mental stability of strangers.
  • squatsanddeadlift
    squatsanddeadlift Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Aside from the part about your autistic child, it's actually a pretty funny incident. The guy was off his rocker. Honestly, I don't think we can afford to let strangers' stupidity ruin our day. What they are "thinking" or even saying to each other doesn't matter one whit. You just keep doing your thing!

@lorrpb How is that funny???

• BABetter1
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    rml_16 wrote: »
    but we are only one or two people who have never run into an as* at the gym.

/sarcasm

Not true. I have also never run into an as* . . . . at the gym. No sarcasm intended. Seriously. Never have.
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky my gym has no issues like that its open 24/7 365 days a year and no attitudes
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Aside from the part about your autistic child, it's actually a pretty funny incident. The guy was off his rocker. Honestly, I don't think we can afford to let strangers' stupidity ruin our day. What they are "thinking" or even saying to each other doesn't matter one whit. You just keep doing your thing!

Watching some big guy slamming weights around because he's annoyed by another member. Ridiculous behavior! It's humorous that he would let another person get to him like that.

I also find it more than a bit ironic that said member makes the comments she did to others when there was absolutely no reason for her to say anything, then gets outraged by their responses.
  • squatsanddeadlift
    squatsanddeadlift Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Watching some big guy slamming weights around because he's annoyed by another member. Ridiculous behavior! It's humorous that he would let another person get to him like that.

I also find it more than a bit ironic that said member makes the comments she did to others when there was absolutely no reason for her to say anything, then gets outraged by their responses.

But you weren't there and it did not happen to you so how can you possibly say if some meathead twice your size getting up in your face is funny or intimidating?

I will be honest. I don't find that kind of behaviour funny at all. Meh maybe I have a different view as to what constitutes humour? - I am actually quite glad of that to be honest.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

But you weren't there and it did not happen to you so how can you possibly say if some meathead twice your size getting up in your face is funny or intimidating?

I will be honest. I don't find that kind of behaviour funny at all. Meh maybe I have a different view as to what constitutes humour? - I am actually quite glad of that to be honest.

I can say whether it sounds funny to me when reading about it. That's all. I don't condone or justify ignorant behavior, but sometimes stupidity can strike people as humorous.