"You can eat whaver you want, as long as you eat at a deficit" is true, but it's garbage advice.

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    This seems to have become the pizza thread. I never saw a pizza, let alone ate one until I was an adult. And it is still not one of my favorite foods since I don't like cooked tomatoes. The endless hours scalding, removing the skin, canning as a youth pretty much turned me off.

Heh, every year I think I am going to try to can my extra tomatoes. You are trying to talk me out of it, aren't you!

;-)

Did you know you can actually freeze tomatoes whole and pull them out as you need them? I prefer to can them, but if someone didn't want to go to the work of doing that, freezing is an excellent option. :)

Interesting, I did not know that.

I do want to learn to can, but if I'm again too lazy I will freeze.

Can the tomatoes. Canning acid foods (like tomatoes, vinegar pickles) is dead easy. If you can boil water . . . .

(Literally.)
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is saying in general more for if you want to lose weight, not if you're already at your goal or maintenance. For me I am trying to lose 40 lbs and I know I will not make my goal eating pizza, chips, or cookies. Oh how I wish I could but losing weight is more important than satisfying a 5 minute craving. ☺
  • Tiff1124
    Options
    You've just become my new best friend
  • Tiff1124
    Options
    I'm just always hesitant to eat those things because I don't want to slow my progress. I have a long way to go and I feel if I do have pizza or unhealthy foods all of my hard work is for nada.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Hey @ninerbuff - I've always wondered why you post your ticker which shows "5 lbs lost" when I'm pretty sure that info is long out of date? ;)
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    This seems to have become the pizza thread. I never saw a pizza, let alone ate one until I was an adult. And it is still not one of my favorite foods since I don't like cooked tomatoes. The endless hours scalding, removing the skin, canning as a youth pretty much turned me off.

Heh, every year I think I am going to try to can my extra tomatoes. You are trying to talk me out of it, aren't you!

;-)

Did you know you can actually freeze tomatoes whole and pull them out as you need them? I prefer to can them, but if someone didn't want to go to the work of doing that, freezing is an excellent option. :)

I can tomatoes most summers. The worst part is peeling.

I don't peel mine at all. Never have. I pull them from the garden, wash well, dice them, and can with a tsp. of basil, oregano, and garlic. Works perfectly everytime. I've also discovered that cherry tomatoes can ten times faster then large beef steak type (for when I'm feeling really lazy). :D
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

;-)

I can tomatoes most summers. The worst part is peeling.

I don't peel mine at all. Never have. I pull them from the garden, wash well, dice them, and can with a tsp. of basil, oregano, and garlic. Works perfectly everytime. I've also discovered that cherry tomatoes can ten times faster then large beef steak type (for when I'm feeling really lazy). :D

You don't find that you get strips of skin in them when you cook with them?
  • sliminby60
    sliminby60 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    One piece of pizza and 7 chips won't keep me full very long and offer very little nutrition. Therefore, "Eat whatever type of food you want in tiny quantities" is not a sustainable lifestyle for me. A couple times a month is ok, but not 24/7.

it is not to keep you full it is to satisfy your desire for that food eat what make you full then eat 7 chips to satisfy desire for chips
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

You don't find that you get strips of skin in them when you cook with them?

It's late, so please forgive my inability to picture this. :s Do you mean when I cook with them is there just skins mixed in with the tomatoes? If that's what you mean, yes, once in awhile I'll notice skin with no tomato/meat flesh attached to it but texture wise, it has never changed the taste or texture of anything I've used them in because what little bit of skins do separate are pretty minimal. I guess I've never noticed this being a problem and no one in my house has. I use my diced canned tomatoes for soups, stews, sauces, and chili. Maybe that's why I've never noticed any issues with the skin? If there were a lot of skin I'd think it would be bothersome and noticeable in those foods, but maybe not. Sorry I'm not much help with that. I've been canning tomatoes like this for 9yrs. Now I'm going to have to pay attention when I open and use the the next jar. :# On the up side, I'm not doing a garden this year for the first time in years. It will be my first time not canning in a long time. We have grown and canned as much of our own food as possible over the years so it's a big change over for us. I guess we'll see how much I'm kicking myself come next fall and winter. :D
This discussion has been closed.