"You can eat whaver you want, as long as you eat at a deficit" is true, but it's garbage advice.

Options

Replies

• dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    @dfwesq -- I'm still not sure what's confusing, but as @WinoGelato noted above, am waiting for an example of a confusing thread, as that may help.
    Sorry, the earlier post wasn't visible to me. I'm not sure I can even quote other people's posts here, as I mentioned a few posts up. 4legsRbetterthan2 said I could paraphrase, which I've tried to do.

I'm not able to respond as fully as I'd like, but I do appreciate your posts.

• southernoregongrape
    southernoregongrape Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This seems to have become the pizza thread. I never saw a pizza, let alone ate one until I was an adult. And it is still not one of my favorite foods since I don't like cooked tomatoes. The endless hours scalding, removing the skin, canning as a youth pretty much turned me off.

Heh, every year I think I am going to try to can my extra tomatoes. You are trying to talk me out of it, aren't you!

;-)
    You found me out. Also, my understanding is that whatever it is in tomatoes that is so healthy can only be absorbed if they are cooked. Not eaten raw. Can peaches instead or pears, or corn, or anything except tomatoes. <3
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    This seems to have become the pizza thread. I never saw a pizza, let alone ate one until I was an adult. And it is still not one of my favorite foods since I don't like cooked tomatoes. The endless hours scalding, removing the skin, canning as a youth pretty much turned me off.

Heh, every year I think I am going to try to can my extra tomatoes. You are trying to talk me out of it, aren't you!

;-)

Did you know you can actually freeze tomatoes whole and pull them out as you need them? I prefer to can them, but if someone didn't want to go to the work of doing that, freezing is an excellent option. :)

Interesting, I did not know that.

I do want to learn to can, but if I'm again too lazy I will freeze.
    I can tomatoes most summers. The worst part is peeling.
  • southernoregongrape
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Oops posted on wrong link.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

;-)

Did you know you can actually freeze tomatoes whole and pull them out as you need them? I prefer to can them, but if someone didn't want to go to the work of doing that, freezing is an excellent option. :)

A few years ago I house-sat my parents place over summer for 3 weeks while they went away. My dad had the most over-producing garden I've ever seen, I was picking, and canning upwards of 5kg of tomatoes a DAY. It has put me off them entirely haha. I have texture and sensory issues and the peeling of them made me ill. So gross.
  • southernoregongrape
    Options

;-)

A few years ago I house-sat my parents place over summer for 3 weeks while they went away. My dad had the most over-producing garden I've ever seen, I was picking, and canning upwards of 5kg of tomatoes a DAY. It has put me off them entirely haha. I have texture and sensory issues and the peeling of them made me ill. So gross.

Totally agree. They felt slimy to me.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but the notion that we have to respond to every enquiry as if the person has an eating disorder but just hasn't disclosed it....
    I think you were responding to my post. To clarify, what I was saying was that it's a good idea to bear in mind the possibility. I don't think a hyper-cautious is needed either.

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

;-)

Really? It's dead easy. My dad used to be executive chef of a catering house, and their specialty at the time was manicotti. They'd make gallons and gallons of their own sauce from scratch nearly every day (the hall could seat over 700, so it was needed) and the first step was to peel a kittenload of plum tomatoes. Blanch them, chill them down, slit one end, and gently squeeze the other. The tomato pops right out of the skin.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »

;-)

Really? It's dead easy. My dad used to be executive chef of a catering house, and their specialty at the time was manicotti. They'd make gallons and gallons of their own sauce from scratch nearly every day (the hall could seat over 700, so it was needed) and the first step was to peel a kittenload of plum tomatoes. Blanch them, chill them down, slit one end, and gently squeeze the other. The tomato pops right out of the skin.
    Your hands end up sticky and slimy. It hasn't turned me off of them, but I don't like the peeling part.
    You can freeze and thaw and the skin slips off too- but still sticky and slimy.
  • southernoregongrape
    Options
    Yep, it was the slimy part that turned me off.
  • AntoinetteAngus
    AntoinetteAngus Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Thumbs up on the Snorlax picture, I love Pokemon.

I do think that a lot of the cheerful talk about how "you can eat ANYTHING and lose weight!" needs a footnote: "You can eat anything, but if it's high in calories you can only have a tiny bit."

Now personally, if I order a pizza I don't want to eat just one slice, hold the breadsticks. Sure, cold pizza is a great snack the next morning, but there's something especially delightful about a piping hot pizza with the cheese still gooey (and breadsticks on the side.)

What I do is I have days where I eat over my "normal" calories without worrying about it, and then I eat under the normal calories the next day. (This works best if the pig-out meal was dinner, since you usually still feel pretty full the next morning.) I don't consider that to be "a cheat day". It's not cheating, it's just moving the calories around so I can get what satisfies me--tons of pizza. :)

To the bolded... don't you think that sort of caution is unnecessary (and maybe presumes ignorance) on a site where people are logging and tracking calories? A person who is entering the foods they eat in their diary would know that 2 pieces of Dominos chicken, spinach and roasted red pepper pizza (my latest go to on pizza night) is 560 calories and 4 pieces of Parmesan bites are 150 which leaves me 190 calories to keep this meal under 800 which is what I aim for for splurge dinners. So another piece of pizza, or a salad, or some dessert or a glass of wine.

Caveating every post with information that posters should already know or be able to figure out themselves, seems redundant and insulting to me. I feel the same way about you the disclaimer, , even though I and many others do explicitly state, "but nutrition is also important"when someone asks if calories are all that matter for weight loss. My 5 year old knows that nutrition is important. Do I really have to add that to every post for grown adults so that my comments are not misinterpreted by people like the OP?

YES...you should add this to every post. Anyone new to this forum would believe... based on the abundance of ridiculous comments that you can just eat whatever you want as long as it fits in your calorie goals. This is irresponsible and I've actually taken the liberty to look at people's diary's who advocate this and alot of them are actually eating healthy! So why advocate to others that you can eat whatever you want instead of promoting a healthy, balanced lifestyle with moderated indulgences. The fact that you have an issue with someone throwing nutrition in the mix is absolutely ridiculous. A reminder about nutrition is definitely needed on a forum such as this one.

Why would you assume "Eat whatever you want" means "Eat nothing but junk food"?

Again, for all the threads criticizing this advice, I have NEVER seen someone post that they actually did take this advice to mean "Go ahead and eat all junk food" and now are struggling or failing because they're full of Twinkies and Big Macs by noon and have no calories left. Yet I see time and time again people respond by saying, "You mean I can have a treat every once and awhile and still lose weight? Thank goodness!".

And again again, for every post that just says, "You can eat whatever you want" there are two that follow that say "You can eat whatever you want to lose weight, but obviously you want to eat enough nutritious food for your health". And then someone will chime in to make sure you get enough fiber and protein. And then someone will post that if you eat Keto you'll never get hungry and your skin will glow. And then another will say that cutting out processed food was the only way they could lose weight.

I seriously wonder if there is an alternate MFP universe with all of these threads where newbies are given no info but to stuff their pieholes with poptarts to lose weight and I am just too dense to find it. :confused:

WHATEVER implies whatever. People are not providing enough context to that statement and are not being responsible. I have posted several times on various forums and have been met with angry comments...well I eat pizza everyday, or I eat Macdonald's everyday nobody can tell me otherwise! I completely advocate treats from time to time...we're human and what would life be without them...but people tend not to display their true story. I would like to re-highlight the fact that I mentioned previously in this thread that I have taken the liberty of looking at peoples diaries that advocate that you can eat WHATEVER you want and they actually eat a fairly decent diet so why not clarify that I eat healthy most of the time but I indulge as well instead of implying I eat WHATEVER I want. This is all that I am saying...

Maybe because eating 'whatever' they want includes a wide variety of foods, including both 'good' and 'bad' (if you want to think of it that way) so by saying they eat whatever they want, they aren't misrepresenting anything. Obviously these people have open diaries, and everyone is welcome to do as you did and see for themselves what these self-proclaimed 'eat whatever you want!' people are, in fact, actually eating. And maybe they're just tired of qualifying every.single.statement they make here. My diary is open, and I eat whatever I want. Some days are better than others, but I log them all.

'Maybe because eating 'whatever' they want includes a wide variety of foods, including both 'good' and 'bad'

If this is the case then people should SAY THAT. This is my point...The word WHATEVER does not provide people with adequate information. It is misleading.

Oh sweet kittens! This thread is making my head hurt :tired_face: There is a plethora, an absolute cornucopia, an OVERABUNDANCE, of information about what people here do, don't, sometimes, always, never, only on the full moon, eat. They're under no obligation to list it in every post.

They are obligated to speak truth and stop insinuating WHATEVER...it doesn't have to be a list...

The MFP guidelines are the only obligation posters have
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

what is this truth you desire, my truth, your truth, his truth, her truth? This is no more clear than what the "whatever" people are saying

The truth about what people are really eating. Not falsely claiming they eat WHATEVER they want, WHENEVER they want...

You didn't address the questions I posed to you upthread, so I will ask them again, slightly differently.

What does a day eating WHATEVER you want, look like to you? On a totally indulgent splurge day, where you really want to treat yourself, but still within your calorie allowance (or maybe eating up to maintenance, if you are currently at a deficit). Like your birthday.

What does a day eating TOTALLY HEALTHY look like to you? Where at the end of the day, you close out your diary, and say, "man, that was on point. NAILED IT!".

Because I bet your answers to both of those questions, look different than my answers to both of those questions.

So the point is, that even if I provide the caveat "I eat WHATEVER I want within a calorie deficit to lose weight BUT I eat healthy foods too!", my definition of healthy foods may not be your definition of healthy foods.

My day yesterday, which I felt really good about.

Breakfast: Chobani Greek Yogurt (vanilla), Nature Valley Protein Granola, cup of blueberries.
    Lunch: Half package Uncle Bens Quinoa Rice blend, with sauteed snap peas, asparagus, and garlic shrimp.
    Dinner: Leftover seafood fra diavolo from a restaurant Friday night, to which I added more sauteed asparagus and spinach and more shrimp.
    Snack: Chobani Flip - S'more S'mores
    After Dinner: 2 glasses pinot grigio
    20,677 Steps

Cals: 1734
    Carbs: 188
    Fat: 39
    Protein: 101
    Sodium: 2966
    Sugar: 70

To me, that is a totally balanced and healthy day. Like I frequently advise others on these boards, even though many seem to miss it, I strive for a mix of foods that provide nutrition, satiety, and enjoyment, within my calorie goal and aiming for 90g or more of protein.

Yet I'm pretty sure that since much of it is processed, none of that meets your definition of "clean" , and you would consider that day a failure.

So how is me providing the caveat "but I eat healthy too!" helpful, if people like you would look at my day and say that isn't healthy at all?

I actually think this seems like a well balanced diet. Thanks for posting.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Preservatives are chemicals to make your food last longer. This is not natural. Food should spoil when it spoils. You should not be injecting it with stuff to make it last longer.
    Lol, guess you didn't ace chemistry class. You do know they've used SALT (yes even "organic" sea salt) as a preservative for CENTURIES now?
    So glad you clarified the following because most people tend to leave it at 'you can eat WHATEVER you want'
    You CAN eat whatever you want to lose weight. It's NOT the best approach, however the issue that arises from the diet and fitness industry is that anything not "clean" or "unprocessed" should be avoided at all costs. And that's just not the truth. Again, there are so many other industrialized countries that consume processed products and DON'T have an weight or obesity issue in their populations. In fact, I'll even say that once many of them migrate to the US, they GAIN weight within the first 5 years just due to OVEREATING.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

To clarify you mean it is not the best approach for *health* purposes but it can be the best approach for weight loss for some people.
    Okay, I'll go with that.;)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This discussion has been closed.