Looking for support while trying to get healthy dealing with depression

Options

Replies

• Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    @WickAndArtoo

@wellnesschaser I think I kind of understand what you are saying, about not wanting to get excited. For me the depression has always been there, so instead of being worried that it will come back, my battle is that I sometimes dread the good feelings because I KNOW they will come to an end.

But the answer to both our issues.. I think ...is the same, to change our mind sets and get even more excited about when we feel good and milk it for every second we get of that happiness. From what I understand one of the most effective ways of working through depression and anxiety (non pharmaceutical) is CBT and that involves changing our thought process and breaking that negative cycle. I think (personally not scientifically) this should also involve choosing to repeat things that made us feel good, even when we don't want to because of negative thoughts.

You deserve to feel good and excited right now, regardless of what may come in the future!

I could say that for me, it can also be a sense of dread. Such a helpful reminder to yes, change up the mindset and no matter what, repeat healthy behaviors within the power to do so, despite negative thoughts. In terms of getting and keeping fit it's vital and it makes a positive feedback loop to keep helping through the lower times. Great thoughts.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    @wellnesschaser much easier said than done though!
  • rebruce449
    rebruce449 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    @wellnesschaser Don't be afraid of it coming back. Often times post partum depression is a result of the hormonal fluctuations and are likely not to trigger another depression unless of course you have another child but even that places you at a somewhat higher risk for a second episode. The thinking part is exactly what @wickAndArtoo is referring to with CBT. A great source can be found on the net. Just google it and there are tons of resources.

I've been very lazy today and haven't gone out at all. I think I will walk after I eat dinner, I find the support here great, thank you all.

* and yes I am a mental health professional. :)
  • claireariela
    claireariela Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    @WickAndArtoo thanks for the empathy. Yeah, I'll get over it. I suppose it's a good thing it came out - at least I know I still have some work to do with forgiving her.

@rebruce449 keep going with your walks! You're doing great!

@sandiikat how have you been Hun? Doing alright?
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options
    lizery wrote: »

Exercise and diet and mindfulness and medications can help but they do not cure mental illness or magically prevent episode occurring.

As someone who has a serious mental illness (bipolar disorder type 1) I assure you mental health can deteriorate despite the most positive of attitudes, cleanest of diets and empowering exercise regimes.

Hell - I was actually DIAGNOSED during a period of 9 months strict paleo and regular crossfit/Olympic weight lifting. I was physically the strongest I'd ever been and then BOOM mixed mania and robot people.

Maybe I didn't have strong enough willpower, right? Cause many seem to think that's all you need ...

I agree. I didn't mean to suggest we can positive-think ourselves out of mental illness. I think for the fluctuations of depression, we can try. are you doing well now?
  • rebruce449
    Options
    @lizery I agree, take your meds, I do, and hope that the combination of all the rest will keep me sane and happy. :)
  • rebruce449
    Options
    @kristyt3224 I like that idea, theme song. It has poured rain here all day so thats my excuse for not walking. :) I also went over calories for the day but hey I gave birth 3x without an epidural so I think I earned that apple pecan caramel pie. Hope everyone had a great day!
  • meghannicoleee13
    meghannicoleee13 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh I love the courage you had to post about your depression. I also learned in my psychology class last year that, like another poster said, exercising releases feel good endorphins. I decided to take action about 3 weeks ago and I'm so glad I did. I'm not healed whatsoever. Ptsd doesn't just go away but I am determined to get my *kitten* up everyday and count my calories and workout. It seems to help a lot.
  • claireariela
    claireariela Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oh girls, I'm having a terrible day. :'(

Struggling with sleep is a terrible thing. Just when I thought I was getting better, I couldn't sleep till 4 in the morning last night (okay, my fault really because I was watching the Manchester United game till 1am). But when these late sleeps happen, I wake up and then get panic and anxiety attacks about not waking up early for work and all the things I'm not doing. It is a big fight. Even though it has gotten better with me incorporating exercise into my routine, it's still a struggle. It takes me a while to just sit and calm myself down. Someone asked me recently "what will make you happy?" And I have been so bothered because I didn't (and still don't) have an answer. :(

I've been coordinating some work stuff this morning and afternoon, but I have this great anxiety preventing me from actually going to my office. >_< This isn't me at all! I love my work and my team! But I think there are so many problems there that I feel caught. >_<

This is not good :(
    I think I should start some "things that make me happy" list.
  • pedermj2002
    pedermj2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've got a small list of things for me: Depression, fear of failure, anxiety, and I think something else in there too. They're all so nicely intertwined that it's hard to tell where one begins and another ends.

I began my weight loss back in September, and found bicycling to be a great way to help me move forward. I've lost almost 60lbs since then, too.

Feel free to add me if I can help. Or I can just follow this thread and talk here. Whichever one works best :)
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    I've got a small list of things for me: Depression, fear of failure, anxiety, and I think something else in there too. They're all so nicely intertwined that it's hard to tell where one begins and another ends.

I began my weight loss back in September, and found bicycling to be a great way to help me move forward. I've lost almost 60lbs since then, too.

Feel free to add me if I can help. Or I can just follow this thread and talk here. Whichever one works best :)

Your list sounds exactly like my list, I know just how exhausting and frustrating those things can be. Congratulations on your weight loss!! That is awesome, biking has always been one of my favorite activities.
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    Oh girls, I'm having a terrible day. :'(

Struggling with sleep is a terrible thing. Just when I thought I was getting better, I couldn't sleep till 4 in the morning last night (okay, my fault really because I was watching the Manchester United game till 1am). But when these late sleeps happen, I wake up and then get panic and anxiety attacks about not waking up early for work and all the things I'm not doing. It is a big fight. Even though it has gotten better with me incorporating exercise into my routine, it's still a struggle. It takes me a while to just sit and calm myself down. Someone asked me recently "what will make you happy?" And I have been so bothered because I didn't (and still don't) have an answer. :(

I've been coordinating some work stuff this morning and afternoon, but I have this great anxiety preventing me from actually going to my office. >_< This isn't me at all! I love my work and my team! But I think there are so many problems there that I feel caught. >_<

This is not good :(
    I think I should start some "things that make me happy" list.

I'm sorry you are not feeling good today. Isn't it crazy how one night of bad sleep/ waking up late can have such a huge difference on our day? Please keep us updated, I hope you make it to the office today, I bet you will feel much better after crossing that hurdle.
  • sandiikat
    sandiikat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »

Exercise and diet and mindfulness and medications can help but they do not cure mental illness or magically prevent episode occurring.

As someone who has a serious mental illness (bipolar disorder type 1) I assure you mental health can deteriorate despite the most positive of attitudes, cleanest of diets and empowering exercise regimes.

Hell - I was actually DIAGNOSED during a period of 9 months strict paleo and regular crossfit/Olympic weight lifting. I was physically the strongest I'd ever been and then BOOM mixed mania and robot people.

Maybe I didn't have strong enough willpower, right? Cause many seem to think that's all you need ...

As for 'going off meds' - this is not even an option for so many.

For me going off my medication meant 3 weeks impatient hospitalisation, then 8 months recovery from manic psychosis before I could work again. Almost lost my life, my family and my career.

Would people suggest a type one diabetic try to get off their insulin? Or a person with atrial fibulation to stop taking their blood thinners?

I doubt it. Yet people seem to think - with no medical or psychiatric training - that its good to suggest people get off their meds.

Did anyone ever in this forum say get off meds?
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options
    No, one person got off their own & shared.
  • sandiikat
    sandiikat Posts: 104 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options