I'm finding it difficult to eat 1200 calories.

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Pretty ridiculous. What did you eat before you ate "healthy"? Probably way more than 1200. I can eat 5,000 calories without even thinking about it. This is very silly.

No it isn't.

Many people have gradually put on weight so they weren't neccesarily eating very much above maitenance and they decide to go on a 'diet' and then they make drastic changes and change their food to volume-high, calorie- low things like vegetables and stop drinking calories in soda etc

Just because you can easily eat 5000 calories doesn't mean everyone can or even that they were doing so before deciding to lose weight.

• SarahFromWalthamForest
    Options
    Update:
    I went to my doctor yesterday and he says what I'm eating, I showed him my food diary, is the best for health and weightloss, he also said it's fine if I can only manage to eat 800-900 calories, after I mentioned that some people on this site have said that not eating close to 1200 calories is bad.

I was very close to vomiting halfway through my lunch yesterday, because I was so full, that I had to put the food in the fridge and eat it later.

My doctor also said the best foods to avoid are sugars, carbs, high gi foods, fatty meats and processed foods, he explained about insulin rises from sugars/high gi foods causing the body to gain more fat and water retention etc.

This is pretty concerning to me because it shows a lack of understanding of human physiology surrounding weight control and how the body gains fat. And it's because of insulin rises (totally normal).

That coupled with them being totally happy with your low intake, particularly for someone with chronic illnesses, would be sending me to a different doctor or insisting on a referral to a dietician.

I asked about a referral to a dietician but was told this is no longer provided by NHS due to cuts.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Can you get a referral but pay yourself? You need this - prolonged 600-800 cal a day can hurt in the long run, working with someone and establishing sustainable habits. Ow can only help
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I think your doctor is telling porkies. It may take a wait but if your GP feels there is need they can refer you.

Ask to see a different GP within your surgery, make a complaint to the practice manager or register at a different surgery.

And of course you can go private but that depends on how affordable it is to you.

Resources here: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1094.aspx?categoryid=68&subcategoryid=153

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/find-a-registered-dietitian-or-nutritionist.aspx?CategoryID=51&SubCategoryID=168
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Update:
    I went to my doctor yesterday and he says what I'm eating, I showed him my food diary, is the best for health and weightloss, he also said it's fine if I can only manage to eat 800-900 calories, after I mentioned that some people on this site have said that not eating close to 1200 calories is bad.

I was very close to vomiting halfway through my lunch yesterday, because I was so full, that I had to put the food in the fridge and eat it later.

My doctor also said the best foods to avoid are sugars, carbs, high gi foods, fatty meats and processed foods, he explained about insulin rises from sugars/high gi foods causing the body to gain more fat and water retention etc.

See a new doctor because he/she seems to have no understanding of basic nutrition, which is not uncommon. Medical school does not teach nutrition, they teach how to handle diseases.

ETA: VintageFeline is in the UK so she can better advise you on how to handle the NHS and get the care you deserve.

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor not prescribed suppliments if you have confirmed deficiencies not just lower end of norm levels?

I have to take cholecalciferol, adcal, ferrous sulphate and they inject me with b12 every 12 weeks as im unable to absorb it orally

They did, but I forgot them in the hotel room when I took my girls away for the weekend, so I bought some when I got back.

Ask the doctor to prescribe more, regular ocer the counter stuff is alot lower dosage
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Update:

This is pretty concerning to me because it shows a lack of understanding of human physiology surrounding weight control and how the body gains fat. And it's because of insulin rises (totally normal).

That coupled with them being totally happy with your low intake, particularly for someone with chronic illnesses, would be sending me to a different doctor or insisting on a referral to a dietician.

I asked about a referral to a dietician but was told this is no longer provided by NHS due to cuts.

Do you have a hospital consultant? Our community dietitians were axed ( nhs cut backs never hit managers huh ) but as im under the care of the hospital i can access the dietitian gotta say shes a chocolate teapot. Makes no suggestions just sends me for blood tests to work out what im deficient in this quarter, my community one was great
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    two types of anemia, Vitamin D deficiency and Calcium deficiency. I take a multi-vitamin with iron, Vitabiotics Osteocare and an Omega fish oil supplement.

One little side point to rest of thread - multi vitamins do not usually contain enough iron to effectively treat iron def anemia.
    You would be much better off on a specific iron supplement - eg Ferrograd or FGF..
    Look at the labels and you will see they have far more iron in them than the multi vitamins .

100g of beef heart contains 424% of daily recommend iron intake, I eat 150g-200g a day, do the math..

I was going to say - you eat LIVER!!! You don't need an iron supplement! :) God bless you though...I wish I could stomach the stuff. Blech!

I can't stomach liver, it's disgusting.
    Heart however tastes very similar to steak..

I'm anemic and with you on the taste of liver.

Thanks for the tip about heart. It's not common here in the US, will have to search for it.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Don't think I could eat it! :s
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    two types of anemia, Vitamin D deficiency and Calcium deficiency. I take a multi-vitamin with iron, Vitabiotics Osteocare and an Omega fish oil supplement.

One little side point to rest of thread - multi vitamins do not usually contain enough iron to effectively treat iron def anemia.
    You would be much better off on a specific iron supplement - eg Ferrograd or FGF..
    Look at the labels and you will see they have far more iron in them than the multi vitamins .

100g of beef heart contains 424% of daily recommend iron intake, I eat 150g-200g a day, do the math..

I was going to say - you eat LIVER!!! You don't need an iron supplement! :) God bless you though...I wish I could stomach the stuff. Blech!

Thanks for the tip about heart. It's not common here in the US, will have to search for it.

Independent butcher shops can get it for you. Usually is goes in with the "scrap" meat for things like dog food.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Update:

I do think you should see a different doctor.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Independent butcher shops can get it for you. Usually is goes in with the "scrap" meat for things like dog food.

Yup, I was thinking independent butcher shops, thanks :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love liver, and for some reason heart sounds really unappealing, although I'd try it if I saw it at a restaurant or something (I don't like cooking things for myself the first time if I don't know what they are supposed to taste like). Obviously a matter of taste, but since poor liver is getting such a bad rap. ;-)

Anyway, I'm wondering if just cutting out the tea would make the appetite come back. If not, I wouldn't find the doctor reassuring at all: One thing is that a LOT of doctors don't take patient reports on how many calories they are eating seriously and assuming you are probably eating way more than you report, if overweight. Another is that there's a difference between eating 800 on a supervised diet that is tailored to your needs (ESPECIALLY if one has health issues) and simply being UNABLE to eat more, lacking appetite to that extent. The latter really seems like a sign of something seriously wrong, whether it's rooted in some kind of fear of eating or physical thing. A dietitian would be able to help and also see if there's some greater issue, and a doctor who takes it seriously seems important.

I'd follow VintageFeline's advice here, since I'm in the US and don't know how to navigate the NHS.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I think I've read all the posts by the OP. Why can't you just increase the fat content (calorie density) in what you are eating to bump up your numbers to a safe level?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Yup, I was thinking independent butcher shops, thanks :)

I often find it at Shoopers grocery store - if you have one by you
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    These "I can't eat all my calories" threads come around on a daily basis. Reading your original post, you don't seem so worried about your dilemma as much as just wanting to get forum reactions. If it is so difficult to eat 1200 calories, how did you get overweight in the first place?

I was wondering the same.
  • painzzzz
    painzzzz Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    this subreddit has some great recipes for people with a goal of 1200 calories. Maybe it would give you some ideas of how to bump up your calories and keep an eye on nutrition?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/1200isplenty/