Weight Loss Surgery VS. Diet & Exercise...Thoughts?

Options
124»

Replies

• Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I think most anyone is capable of losing the weight and not resorting to surgery. I feel strongly that if I can do it, MOST anyone can. Those who don't, simply lack the will power in most instances.

That isn't true.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    The prescription is the same portion control and exercise.

Oh and success only happens when you do the real hard work...psychological
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Every person I've known to get a weightloss surgery has been back to obese within 3 years

This is a very real, very scary possibility! I personally know four people who've gotten surgery (apart from myself, but I'm only about a year and a half out): one of them still looks amazing after 3 or 4 years; one of them only lost about 45% of her excess weight, but has managed to keep it off after 5+ years; one of them lost A LOT, but then gained back about 50% of what he'd lost and has been stuck at ~320lbs now for about a year (still not bad from his pre-surgery weight of 470lbs). The last lady lost a ton and then gained it all back by drinking oreo ice cream shakes and such. Every time I see her, she's heavier...

The common factor in all these cases? The people who gained weight back didn't really change their eating and exercise habits — they just kept eating the same calorie-dense foods that got them fat in the first place and sit on their butts all day.

This is all to say that surgery works (three out of four of the above cases weigh less now than they did before surgery), but it is ultimately just a tool; it gives you about a year to learn new habits, after which you're pretty much on your own to control your weight (your pouch will expand, or you'll learn to eat "around" your band.)
    but I know many people (including myself) that have lost weight and kept it off.

I honestly know only one such person, and she wouldn't have qualified for surgery, anyway. Every other fat person I know is on a clear, long-term upwards trend.
  • debbash68
    debbash68 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    The prescription is the same portion control and exercise.

Oh and success only happens when you do the real hard work...psychological
    This^^^^ and I don't think it is an easy option , I think it is often life saving surgery, at least it has to be in uk to get on nhs
  • fatfudgery
    Options
    I think most anyone is capable of losing the weight and not resorting to surgery. I feel strongly that if I can do it, MOST anyone can. Those who don't, simply lack the will power in most instances.

So most people can do it, but most people don't have the willpower to do it? Which one is it, then?
  • fatfudgery
    Options
    I personally thought my family member could've lost the old fashioned way - meaning diet and exercise. However, they chose the lazy way out.

LOL! The lazy way out! You clearly don't know what the eff you're talking about! :laugh:
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I think MOST anyone is capable of losing the weight and not resorting to surgery. I feel strongly that if I can do it, MOST anyone can. Those who don't, simply lack the will power in MOST instances.

That isn't true.

What part do you disagree with? In each of the 3 sentences I typed out, I included MOST....
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Diet I'm for when the pros outweigh the cons.

Surgery I'm for when the pros outweigh the cons.