When you live with people who never gain weight and eat all the stuff you cannot touch.

Options

Replies

• rouhnaz
    rouhnaz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    @CoachJen71 exactly! Thank you.
  • Otto132
    Otto132 Posts: 18 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    never mind. For some reason only the first line of my reply posted. I don't have time right now to rewrite it. But I can definitely relate to what you're saying!
  • texas_angeleyes02
    texas_angeleyes02 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I dealt with that exact same thing! It frustrated me because I am seriously in a fight to save my life & he would sit down next to me to stuff his face with pizza, wings, breadsticks....etc. I finally sat him down & explained to him that I need his help or I am going to give up & seriously die. He finally started trying to help me more. He even started eating in another room if he is eating something I just can't have & we are doing walks or bike rides together. Small steps but every bit helps & makes it a tiny bit easier!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    My partner is twice my size (me 5'1, 100lbs, he 6'3, 210lbs), and has a semi physical job so can eat my calories x 3 without gaining.

We eat the same foods - just appropriate portion sizes. Make it about what you can eat, not what you can't. He sits with a bowl of chips and dip, or whatever, I will take a small handful and savour it.

Find what works for you, but don't put pressure on him. It's not his journey.

Cheers, h.

Yes, my OH is a foot taller than me and we used to split 1280 calorie pizzas before I realized I was being foolish. Now he gets 5 pieces and I have 3 pieces and a large salad. I don't find pizza very filling so we don't have it very often.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    rouhnaz wrote: »
    Hello.
    I'm just stressed a tad here. I live with my boyfriend who cooks amazing food, orders fatty deep rich pizza from restaurants, devours as much as he pleases and can never seem to synchronize meal time with me.

It's so exhausting watching him inhale all the delicious bottomless meals all day, while I am 35lbs overweight and cannot lose for the life of me.

He never gains anything. Naturally lean and fit.

Life ain't fair, that's for d@!$ sure.

What do you do when you are trying to stay at your calorie limit every day while the person/people you live with eat everything you can't in front of you?

If nothing else, vent with me! Gah!

I would eat smaller breakfasts and lunches, budget calories for dinner, and make time for exercise in order to earn calories from exercise.

Also, as others have said, don't try to lose more than a pound a week for now and drop it down to a half a pound a week when you're around 20 pounds from goal.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    My Mom and I have the same or similar problem as you. Her husband is uber skinny (Type 1 diabetic) and has always struggled to maintain his weight (he can easily get too skinny) even though he is constantly snacking on sweets, pastries, cookies, etc. in addition to regular meals.

My husband, though not super skinny, has a much more active job, restricts nothing, and eats all kinds of stuff in front of me that just doesn't fit my macros. I am really proud of myself, though, because I have managed to resist the temptations over and over. And, honestly, I think it is getting easier over time. Just yesterday he bought a half dozen freshly baked, warm chocolate chip cookies and ate 2 in front of me. We took the other 4 cookies home to the kids. I'm not going to tell you that my mouth wasn't watering while I watched him eat them, because it was. But, it would so not have been worth it today when I would have been up a pound (from carb induced water weight) instead of down a pound.
  • rouhnaz
    Options
    Awww thanks guys.
    Your support means a lot to me! It's helping me feel more grounded.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I get it, OP!

My husband is 8 inches taller than me, and he is a big weightlifter. When he is bulking he eats a bajillion calories a day. Even when he isn't he has to eat a fair amount to maintain his lean muscle mass.

I eat at a .5 deficit and workout out 5-6 days a week, split between weights and running.

I just have to deal. He is as serious about his fitness as I am mine, and his means he has to eat. When he's cutting I don't envy him at all- bland chicken and broccoli all day every day. Boring!

I keep my snacks seperate from the boys so I don't even have to be tempted by theirs. I am also the one in the house (Im a stay home mom) who does most of the shopping, meal planning and cooking- so I just plan stuff that fits for me and dh just eats more.
  • rouhnaz
    Options
    @SusanMFindlay that's valuable insight. I do get in some movement, walk on lunch breaks, occasion the gym, and try to do little things here and there. Once upon a time I would work out like a beast! When I was 7 years younger, I was able to drop off body fat by spending a lot of time at the gym doing cardio and weights while eating about 1625 calories/day.

I tried that again last year, but nothing really happened. It made no difference in my body composition and trust me, I was working hard.

I know ppl don't like to hear this, but exercise isn't gonna grant that much more food in a day. It has great health benefits! But when it comes to calories, all the professionals I've spoken to say that I need to follow 1200 calories/day strictly. They also say, "don't cheat!"

• rouhnaz
    Options
    @genpopadopolous keeping your snacks separate is smart! :) I used to do that when I lived with more people. Now, however, with my boyfriend, there's no need.
  • rouhnaz
    Options
    @SusanMFindlay wow.
    I never thought of it that way!
    Maybe there's hope for me after all. I appreciate this information. I have an old step tracker I might start using again...
    Cheers! :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    @SusanMFindlay that's valuable insight. I do get in some movement, walk on lunch breaks, occasion the gym, and try to do little things here and there. Once upon a time I would work out like a beast! When I was 7 years younger, I was able to drop off body fat by spending a lot of time at the gym doing cardio and weights while eating about 1625 calories/day.

I tried that again last year, but nothing really happened. It made no difference in my body composition and trust me, I was working hard.

I know ppl don't like to hear this, but exercise isn't gonna grant that much more food in a day. It has great health benefits! But when it comes to calories, all the professionals I've spoken to say that I need to follow 1200 calories/day strictly. They also say, "don't cheat!"

What "professionals" are recommending a strict 1200 cal/day diet, and is that net, or total (meaning you wouldn't eat back exercise cals)?

For what it's worth, I'm 5'2 and lost >30 lbs eating between 1600-1800 cals, because as @SusanMFindlay described, I have a high NEAT due to just being busy and keeping my general activity high, while rarely going to the gym. I'm now maintaining with a TDEE of ~2200.
  • rouhnaz
    Options
    @WinoGelato those professionals were nutritionists, personal trainers, and nurse practitioners. This is advice I had received again and again over the years...at first I was upset by the advice, but lately I think maybe it's applicable.

I am trying to get my step tracker back online (it's battery is drained so I am charging it now).

I guess I could play with the slightly higher range for calories, but ultimately trial and error will tell me what i need to eat.
  • rouhnaz
    Options
    @WinoGelato I often wonder if I have somehow weakened my metabolism over the years of yo-yo weight fluctuations and dieting. This too makes me think I might have to take in 1200 or so. But hey, I'll be super pleased to discover I'm wrong and I can eat more!
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I just wanted to say I'm basically in the same boat! So I get it, and I can vent a little...

My boyfriend is the same height as me. He's 20 pounds lighter than me right now. But obviously as a male he can eat a bit more. He also works on his feet all day while I sit at a desk. Finally, he is super fidgety and anxious, and likes working with his hands in free time.

He loves vegetables and eats pretty healthy food. But he also does McDonald's every Saturday night, puts heaping amounts of cream in his coffee, likes candy and stuff like that, which makes people perceive him as eating unhealthy (for example my mom always sees him at my house on Saturday nights eating his McDonald's so her perception may be skewed).

We don't live together yet - this summer we're moving in together. In the years we've been together he's seen me small, overweight, and everything in between. We eat fast food, doughnuts, and the cheesecake factory together, even when I'm while losing weight. I often bank calories for our date nights to accomplish this. It helps to have a heads up or a plan for when a big calorie meal might be coming. When he isn't around I've got my little scale and you bet I'm weighing my almonds to the gram and drinking diet coke. Who knows, maybe when we live together it'll be harder.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    @WinoGelato I often wonder if I have somehow weakened my metabolism over the years of yo-yo weight fluctuations and dieting. This too makes me think I might have to take in 1200 or so. But hey, I'll be super pleased to discover I'm wrong and I can eat more!

Yo yo dieting likely has slightly lowered your metabolism by eating away at your muscle - but not by enough to condemn you to "can only lose weight eating 1200". Not at your current weight. At your current weight, increasing activity level should counteract that effect reasonably well.
  • rouhnaz
    Options
    @jen_092 I appreciate your sincerity! Yeah it's tough when you live together. My boyfriend has seen me fit, overweight, and all the in between as well! But he loves me and isn't turned off by the ups and downs.
    I wish you the best of luck when you move in together!